PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets being innovative? No this isnt a joke

Jets in the Superbowl...Seattle on the one...clock ticking...

Gase wants the ball back in Darnold's hand!
Williams is goading Carroll to throw by leaving the heavy package on the field and letting the clock tick away. He suspects what's coming and thinks his young corner nad physical safety can blow it up.

Gase calls timeout! Williams slugs him. Hilarity ensues.

Seattle wins the Superbowl.

Any research to support the idea that having multiple leaders as opposed to a single figurehead is at odds with "the basic tenets human nature"?

Seems like a fairly strong statement with significant implications. Do you say this based on anecdote, or is there legitimate research to support the claim? I can't say I've ever heard such a thing before.

There is all sorts of research to be found on hierarchies, their structures, their differences for various reasons, and the like. And there are plenty of internet locations for discussions on those subjects.

No, the head coach establishes philosophy and scheme on both sides of the ball and is final arbiter on decisions involving both. He can delegate the details of implementation to coordinators and assistants while perhaps specializing in on area calling plays in-game on offense or defense, but a team NEEDS a final decision-making authority in the head coach.

I understand that that is the theoretical job of a head coach, I'm just not convinced that it always works that way in practice. I suspect that the Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan type of dynamic is more common behind the scenes than we think.

I understand that that is the theoretical job of a head coach, I'm just not convinced that it always works that way in practice. I suspect that the Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan type of dynamic is more common behind the scenes than we think.

You're probably right for a number of organizations. I think it comes down to how much control the HC is given vs GM vs ownership, etc. Clearly, the Jets wanted to pick coordinators and staff, and not all of the candidates were okay with that dynamic. I'm curious if there have been any studies on the relative successes or failures of bifurcated front offices and coaching staffs.

My bet is is that sharing a singular vision tends to work better. For example, beyond teaching players, Belichick also trains his coaches and scouts to understand what he's looking for on all sides of the ball, and everyone from the top to bottom of the org know what's expected and what's implied by the "do your job" mantra. That may not be the only path to success, but building a clear, focused culture so that people share a common goal seems like an incredibly powerful advantage.

So the Jets will essentially have two different teams.
Offense: Gase
Defense: Williams
Offense reports only to Gase
Defense reports only to Williams

They decided to make Gase the head coach of offense and Williams head coach on defense.
Thoughts.

This strategy was tried once before - by the Patriots in 1978.

Trust me, it did not work out well at all.

And Ditka/Ryan was a very dysfunctional situation that didn't last. George Halas retained Ryan before hiring Ditka, which was a mistake. They resented each other mostly because Ryan thought HE should've been named head coach and the two almost literally came to blows.

The most important quality of any assistant coach is loyalty to the head coach. Regardless of who has what responsibilities, including on game day, crucial decisions need to be made on which coaches will disagree requiring one man to make the final decision. You just can't have co-equal offensive and defensive head coaches because the game itself is so enmeshed.

And Ditka/Ryan was a very dysfunctional situation that didn't last. George Halas retained Ryan before hiring Ditka, which was a mistake.

Yep, I'm not arguing in favor of power struggles! I just have a hunch that the only "innovation" of this new Jets arrangement is the fact that they're acknowledging their divided coaching situation up front, as if that can turn a bug into a feature.

The fundamental problem comes down to "we're not just assembling talent, we're building a team." It applies to coaching staffs as well as players.

Fantasy Island is the only place to get Jete playoff tickets.

Colin Cowherd? Your taste in media is just as bad as your taste in football teams.

And Ditka/Ryan was a very dysfunctional situation that didn't last. George Halas retained Ryan before hiring Ditka, which was a mistake. They resented each other mostly because Ryan thought HE should've been named head coach and the two almost literally came to blows.

The most important quality of any assistant coach is loyalty to the head coach. Regardless of who has what responsibilities, including on game day, crucial decisions need to be made on which coaches will disagree requiring one man to make the final decision. You just can't have co-equal offensive and defensive head coaches because the game itself is so enmeshed.
Yep, we can all see how this is going to go down. Williams has such a huge ego (remember about all those supposed head coach jobs he got offered but never took?) that he's going to do things to make himself look good and Gase look bad. The players will be too busy watching the coach's battle to bother much about the opposing team.

Yep, I'm not arguing in favor of power struggles! I just have a hunch that the only "innovation" of this new Jets arrangement is the fact that they're acknowledging their divided coaching situation up front, as if that can turn a bug into a feature.

The fundamental problem comes down to "we're not just assembling talent, we're building a team." It applies to coaching staffs as well as players.
If the Jets actually are acknowledging a divided coaching situation up front, it's the same as saying, "We don't know what the hell we're doing so we might as well court disaster." It's not innovative, it's moronic.

I guess I don't quite understand what the arrangement apparently is since Gase was introduced at a press conference as head coach. So Williams is defensive coordinator ... Are they now officially saying Gase will have nothing at all to do with the defense? I mean, having a strong defensive coordinator is fine, but he still must be answerable to the head coach. Having "head coach offense" and "head coach defense" makes no sense. What about special teams? Since the special teams coordinator works with both offensive and defensive players in offensive and defensive situations, who does HE answer to? It looks to me that announcing Gase as head coach -- if he's OK with abdicating head coach responsibilities -- is an automatic disaster.

If the Jets actually are acknowledging a divided coaching situation up front, it's the same as saying, "We don't know what the hell we're doing so we might as well court disaster." It's not innovative, it's moronic.

I guess I don't quite understand what the arrangement apparently is since Gase was introduced at a press conference as head coach. So Williams is defensive coordinator ... Are they now officially saying Gase will have nothing at all to do with the defense? I mean, having a strong defensive coordinator is fine, but he still must be answerable to the head coach. Having "head coach offense" and "head coach defense" makes no sense. What about special teams? Since the special teams coordinator works with both offensive and defensive players in offensive and defensive situations, who does HE answer to? It looks to me that announcing Gase as head coach -- if he's OK with abdicating head coach responsibilities -- is an automatic disaster.

Holy crap! You said Jets and not Jete.

Anyone here know where Tuney lives? If so, go check on him. He may be suffering some sort of mental collapse.

Humans almost always form hierarchies. They look for leadership and pecking orders.

There's a question of how much of that tendency is nature and how much is nurture.

Holy crap! You said Jets and not Jete. Anyone here know where Tuney lives? If so, go check on him. He may be suffering some sort of mental collapse.
You should be used to mistakes. That's how you came into the world, plus you root for one.

Let the backstabbing begin.

When the wins dont come look out for the finger pointing. BB surrounds himself with those that he can trust. Mangini was the only renegade.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back