PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jersey Numbers Issued to Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, I’m not a keyboard warrior who is going to google statistics on rookie Pats getting their jersey numbers, percentage of veterans who came in who didn’t get their previous number, Krafts thought on the matter, etc. Unlike most folks here post merely looking for an argument (not saying you’re one of those), was merely saying it was possible for Wynn to have ended up with the number 77 one way or another lol..

Interesting stuff though with the numbers. Can be serious business for some players, while others couldn’t care less what number they’re playing with. Personally I never thought of it until high school, and then I opted for a different number each year all through college.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Wynn given that all non-retired numbers from 60 to 79 are taken. Can't say I've seen that situation before with linemen.

Guesses for Sony's number?

29 is the only available running back number until someone gets cut. 21 or 31 would've been good for him, but those are taken by vets.

Running backs are allowed to wear numbers between 20 - 49.

Currently available (AFAIK):
... 20 & 29
... 40, 42, 44, 45

Numbers between 20-39 are reserved for RBs & DBs only.
Numbers between 40-49 may be used by RB, TE, LB & DB

It will be interesting to see what they do with Wynn given that all non-retired numbers from 60 to 79 are taken. Can't say I've seen that situation before with linemen.

The numbers between 50-59 may be used by OL (according to NFL rules), but it's generally been restricted to Centers. Might only be strictly enforced during the regular season, though. Anyway, 51, 56 & 57 are available, AFAIK.

Finally, some REAL football talk. I've been waiting for this news to drop!

Isn't using decimal points and mathematical symbols while handing out 3 digit numbers real football talk? :rolleyes:

Harmon new number-------- >-30.0
JMac--------- >=30.1

I'm pretty sure they will fit

Last edited:
First, what's up with the references of the number being "tight"? That slang hasn't been seen since the late 90's - mid 2000's.

I don't take the current assignment of jersey numbers seriously until we near the regular season after all the cuts have been made. I've never liked #29 for a RB. Good numbers for RB's are 20,21,22,25,26,28,31,33,34. Also, the numbers depend on the size of the player. For instance, #39 looked stupid on Maroney and #29 didn't look good on Blount. I know my analysis sounds stupid but most players do think about how numbers look on them. If you've played sports you know what I'm talking about.

It was someone making the same goofy argument about "good" running back numbers that you're making right now about specifically Maroney wearing 39. They just had this big long theory about how running backs needed a "tight" number. The phraseology was so ridiculous that it stuck.

The numbers between 50-59 may be used by OL (according to NFL rules), but it's generally been restricted to Centers. Might only be strictly enforced during the regular season, though. Anyway, 51, 56 & 57 are available, AFAIK.

Yeah, 51 could be it but I see it going to one of the drafted linebackers. 56 and 57 are retired, naturally.

Running backs are allowed to wear numbers between 20 - 49.

Currently available (AFAIK):
... 20 & 29
... 40, 42, 44, 45

Numbers between 20-39 are reserved for RBs & DBs only.
Numbers between 40-49 may be used by RB, TE, LB & DB

20 and 40 are retired. The whole list of retired numbers is 20, 40, 56, 57, 73, 78, 79, 89.

Yeah, 51 could be it but I see it going to one of the drafted linebackers. 56 and 57 are retired, naturally.

Otherwise, would need to share #70 with Butler or #71 with Shelton, I guess.

Blount says hi
Blount can say hi all he wants. It was never a tight number before, during or after his tenure here. Not liking a number doesn’t mean you don’t like the player. I’m confused, do you not get what we are doing here? ;)

• Winner
Reactions: jah
20 and 40 are retired. The whole list of retired numbers is 20, 40, 56, 57, 73, 78, 79, 89.

Yeah. I shoulda looked them up, but was suddenly getting hurried by the peanut gallery.

I don’t think they’ve issued numbers to any of the rookies, just Vets.

Here are the more notable ones, including guys who are switching numbers:

Harmon - 21

JMAC - 30

Shelton -71

Matthews - 80

Niklas - 86

Britt - 88

Clayborne - 94

Great now Harmon has to sit out the super bowl...

I like 44 for Michel, it’s a cool number. 29 isn’t bad either, Blount wore it well, and Eric ****erson was a pretty good #29 ;)

It was someone making the same goofy argument about "good" running back numbers that you're making right now about specifically Maroney wearing 39. They just had this big long theory about how running backs needed a "tight" number. The phraseology was so ridiculous that it stuck.
That's pretty funny. My formula is the smaller backs wearing numbers in the 20's and the larger backs like Blount wearing numbers in the 30's. A number in the 20's has the illusion of taking up less space than a higher number. So when I looked at Robert Edwards wearing 47, it looked like it took up the entire jersey. #28 was okay on Corey Dillon but looked better on Curtis Martin. But like I said before, at the end of the day, I really don't care what number they wear as long as they're good.

I like 44 for Michel, it’s a cool number. 29 isn’t bad either, Blount wore it well, and Eric ****erson was a pretty good #29 ;)
44 would be awful. That's a FB's number and it would make me think of Sedrick Shaw.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jah
Wow
That's pretty funny. My formula is the smaller backs wearing numbers in the 20's and the larger backs like Blount wearing numbers in the 30's. A number in the 20's has the illusion of taking up less space than a higher number. So when I looked at Robert Edwards wearing 47, it looked like it took up the entire jersey. #28 was okay on Corey Dillon but looked better on Curtis Martin. But like I said before, at the end of the day, I really don't care what number they wear as long as they're good.

44 would be awful. That's a FB's number and it would make me think of Sedrick Shaw.
Theres a blast from my childhood Shaw

#29 was a bad number for him. There should be a weight maximum to wear a number in the 20s.
Because it wasn't 'tight'.

44 is extremely tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft