PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jersey Numbers Issued to Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 is tight for JMAC

Teams shouldn’t retire too many jersey #’s, it lessens the value of having your own number retired.

Number retirements should only be for the best of the best, IMO. No team should have more than 10 retired numbers.

Pretty sure that's why the Pat's HOF is around. Although pretty sure #12 will be retired.

Pretty sure that's why the Pat's HOF is around. Although pretty sure #12 will be retired.

Yeah I have to imagine the Pats are going with the Cowboys approach (not retiring any numbers but making sure the next guy is "worthy") looking forward. It seems like that's how they've treated #54 (and Bruschi, for all he was, did not deserve a retired number). Of course no one will wear 12 again, although it would not surprise me if Tom wanted it to stay in circulation.

Guesses for Sony's number?

29 is the only available running back number until someone gets cut. 21 or 31 would've been good for him, but those are taken by vets.

Pissed they gave Ulrick John 77 over Brown. 67 is a decidedly un-tight number for a tackle.
Or held 77 for Wynn who had the number at Georgia

Guesses for Sony's number?

29 is the only available running back number until someone gets cut. 21 or 31 would've been good for him, but those are taken by vets.

42, 44, and 45 are also valid and available but there's no way a 1st round pick willingly chooses one of those (well, a bit extreme for a number, but you don't see that much). It'll be 29 with a possible change after cuts to 53.

I touched on Michel and Wynn's numbers earlier in this thread and mentioned that Wynn doesn't even have any numbers available for him. He'll have to share with either Adam Butler (70) or Danny Shelton (71) unless someone changes their number.

Or held 77 for Wynn who had the number at Georgia

I don't think that's how it works. Realistically speaking, John took it before Wynn/Brown were even on the team. Plus, you'd think they would reserve it for the vet (Brown) and not a rookie.

I don't think that's how it works. Realistically speaking, John took it before Wynn/Brown were even on the team. Plus, you'd think they would reserve it for the vet (Brown) and not a rookie.
Plenty of rookies have kept their college number if available.

Plenty of rookies have kept their college number if available.

Right, but they also traditionally get the last pick after vets. I'm 99% sure numbers on the Patriots are first come first served. John was signed before Wynn was drafted or Brown was acquired and probably picked his number the day he came to town.

First, what's up with the references of the number being "tight"? That slang hasn't been seen since the late 90's - mid 2000's.

I don't take the current assignment of jersey numbers seriously until we near the regular season after all the cuts have been made. I've never liked #29 for a RB. Good numbers for RB's are 20,21,22,25,26,28,31,33,34. Also, the numbers depend on the size of the player. For instance, #39 looked stupid on Maroney and #29 didn't look good on Blount. I know my analysis sounds stupid but most players do think about how numbers look on them. If you've played sports you know what I'm talking about.

First, what's up with the references of the number being "tight"? That slang hasn't been seen since the late 90's - mid 2000's.

I don't take the current assignment of jersey numbers seriously until we near the regular season after all the cuts have been made. I've never liked #29 for a RB. Good numbers for RB's are 20,21,22,25,26,28,31,33,34. Also, the numbers depend on the size of the player. For instance, #39 looked stupid on Maroney and #29 didn't look good on Blount. I know my analysis sounds stupid but most players do think about how numbers look on them. If you've played sports you know what I'm talking about.

The tight number thing is from before I joined Patsfans, it's old as ****.

It's a running joke on this board due to a poster who always complained about which numbers looked "tight" and which ones were bad. Actually, the second paragraph of your post sounds a bit like him, come to think of it . . . ;)

I wouldn't buy either of their jerseys until September or even next September. Michel will almost certainly get 29 because it's practically the only eligible number left (unless he takes something in the 40s or someone gives their number up). Wynn is going to get a duplicate number of a guy on defense because there's nothing open between 60 and 79. Thus, it's quite likely both switch their numbers after the cuts to 53, and if their desired number is still taken, they could switch next fall like Easley did (was #74 as a rookie then switched to 99).
Oh man, I’ll never forget the poor guy I saw at the Pats Vikes game in 2014 with a 74 Dom Easley jersey. What a waste of money.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
Oh man, I’ll never forget the poor guy I saw at the Pats Vikes game in 2014 with a 74 Dom Easley jersey. What a waste of money.

That's rough...a preventable tragedy however.

It's a running joke on this board due to a poster who always complained about which numbers looked "tight" and which ones were bad. Actually, the second paragraph of your post sounds a bit like him, come to think of it . . . ;)
That's funny. Is that poster still on here? Anybody know who it is?

It won't ruin my day if I disapprove of a player's number as I care more about them helping the team win.

Right, but they also traditionally get the last pick after vets. I'm 99% sure numbers on the Patriots are first come first served. John was signed before Wynn was drafted or Brown was acquired and probably picked his number the day he came to town.
Alrighty, I’m not a keyboard warrior who is going to google statistics on rookie Pats getting their jersey numbers, percentage of veterans who came in who didn’t get their previous number, Krafts thought on the matter, etc. Unlike most folks here post merely looking for an argument (not saying you’re one of those), was merely saying it was possible for Wynn to have ended up with the number 77 one way or another lol..

Interesting stuff though with the numbers. Can be serious business for some players, while others couldn’t care less what number they’re playing with. Personally I never thought of it until high school, and then I opted for a different number each year all through college.

29 is a hideous number for a RB and I hope for his sake by week 1 Michel has something a bit more tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back