PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jersey Numbers Issued to Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

I don’t think they’ve issued numbers to any of the rookies, just Vets.

Here are the more notable ones, including guys who are switching numbers:

Harmon - 21

JMAC - 30

Shelton -71

Matthews - 80

Niklas - 86

Britt - 88

Clayborne - 94

Last edited:
Besides the new vets getting their numbers, looks like a few guys from last year's team switched jersey numbers.

Britt from 85 to 88
Harmon from 30 to 21
King from 72 to 65
Ferentz from 64 to 66
Davis from 42 to 58
McCarron from 84 to 17.

(rant on)

Here's one thing I don't get... why doesn't the NFL go to three-digit jersey numbers?

It would allow a lot more teams to retire jerseys. And you can't make the argument that 3 digits won't fit on the shirt...

images

...when you can fit a 12-letter name on there. :)

(rant off... carry on)

I don’t think they’ve issued numbers to any of the rookies, just Vets.

Here are the more notable ones, including guys who are switching numbers:

Harmon - 21

JMAC - 30

Shelton -71

Matthews - 80

Niklas - 86

Britt - 88

Clayborne - 94

Price said Harmon is #22. It’s weird he would change his number after all of these years.

Pissed they gave Ulrick John 77 over Brown. 67 is a decidedly un-tight number for a tackle.

Price said Harmon is #22. It’s weird he would change his number after all of these years.

But the Patriots said Harmon is #21. He changed it for JMac.

Very generous of him!

If he changed it to 21, that’s a little stone cold to take Malcolm’s old #. ;)

(rant on)

Here's one thing I don't get... why doesn't the NFL go to three-digit jersey numbers?

It would allow a lot more teams to retire jerseys. And you can't make the argument that 3 digits won't fit on the shirt...

images

...when you can fit a 12-letter name on there. :)

(rant off... carry on)
Teams shouldn’t retire too many jersey #’s, it lessens the value of having your own number retired.

Number retirements should only be for the best of the best, IMO. No team should have more than 10 retired numbers.

Besides the new vets getting their numbers, looks like a few guys from last year's team switched jersey numbers.

Britt from 85 to 88
Harmon from 30 to 21
King from 72 to 65
Ferentz from 64 to 66
Davis from 42 to 58
McCarron from 84 to 17.

Davis from 42 to 58?

I have Jomal Wiltz as #42 and Keionta Davis as #51.

Teams shouldn’t retire too many jersey #’s, it lessens the value of having your own number retired.

Number retirements should only be for the best of the best, IMO. No team should have more than 10 retired numbers.

OTOH, perhaps the Browns should just go ahead and retire ALL of their numbers.

Davis from 42 to 58?

I have Jomal Wiltz as #42 and Keionta Davis as #51.

Wiltz and Davis changed respectively to 22 and 42 sometime last year while on the PS.

I think it's funny how many numbers the Patriots retired before they even won a Super Bowl. I have to assume some (not all, especially Hannah/Armstrong) of those players aren't as good as some guys who played in more modern times and won't get their numbers retired.

I think it's funny how many numbers the Patriots retired before they even won a Super Bowl. I have to assume some (not all, especially Hannah/Armstrong) of those players aren't as good as some guys who played in more modern times and won't get their numbers retired.
That’s the thing: whose #’s do you unretire? Bob Dee would make sense, but that would really get the 1960 mob riled up.

That’s the thing: whose #’s do you unretire? Bob Dee would make sense, but that would really get the 1960 mob riled up.

I think all you can say is it's a cautionary tale for new franchises not to lower their standards just to look storied and historic.

I think all you can say is it's a cautionary tale for new franchises not to lower their standards just to look storied and historic.
IMO, the only numbers that should get retired are the greatest of the greats.

IMO, the only numbers that should get retired are the greatest of the greats.

My criteria for whether a player deserves it:
  • HOF-caliber career
  • Spent around a decade (at least) with the team in question and didn't have notable stints elsewhere
  • Either won a lot, or was the obvious bright spot on a bad team
All, not some, being required.

Waiting for what number Sony Michel gets. I want to get his jersey or Wynn.

Waiting for what number Sony Michel gets. I want to get his jersey or Wynn.

I wouldn't buy either of their jerseys until September or even next September. Michel will almost certainly get 29 because it's practically the only eligible number left (unless he takes something in the 40s or someone gives their number up). Wynn is going to get a duplicate number of a guy on defense because there's nothing open between 60 and 79. Thus, it's quite likely both switch their numbers after the cuts to 53, and if their desired number is still taken, they could switch next fall like Easley did (was #74 as a rookie then switched to 99).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back