PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Howe: Pats in market for a WR and TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
the worst move of the patriots in recent years was releasing Allen the same offseason gronk was retiring while also not drafting or trading for or signing any high quality TEs

we should have just kept him on roster for stability and now we're paying the price having to deal with smucks at TE

You make it seem like the Pats cut Allen and Gronk retired and they did nothing. They signed Watson who has been a solid TE & Austin-Seferian Jenkins who has shown to be a serviceable TE.

Watson & Jenkins while they aren't Gronk & Allen is adequate. It just didn't work out. Jenkins asked to be released for personal reasons and Watson was suspended for 4 games and then seems to have been cut for cap reasons that might allow Pats to make a move.

But Allen was cut because he was a $7m cap hit. Which would be okay if he had shown anything in the passing game they probably would have kept him. $7m just for a blocking TE? I can see why they wanted to lower his deal.

Harry didn’t have a couple great preseason games he had a couple great preseason plays. And he’s meant to be the savior?

Man you guys have some absurd takes. They used a 1st rounder on the guy and he picks up a minor injury and suddenly he's already a bust. People got weird expectations if they think better of a guy like Emmanuel Sanders or Nelson Agholor coming in and making a difference than a guy who was projected as a potential true number 1 wide receiver. It would be nice if the Patriots developed their own Mike Thomas or DeAndre Hopkins for once.

Weird people aren't excited for Harry. Looked good in the few preseason plays he played, had a more or less full camp, and he's a 1st round receiver... Yeah, he's a rookie, but look at what Terry McLaurin is doing.

The thing is....

He didn't look particularly good in the few preseason plays he played, and that small sample of "meh" is being wildly overrated. In the meantime, he's missing week after week of game time, as a rookie WR, which means that his development is being curtailed. It's insane to pencil him in as anything but a low/no impact player. Anything he gives is gravy. That doesn't mean he's already a bust, or that he'll never be an NFL level player, or anything like that. It just means that the circumstances are what they are.

It would be great it he returned to the field and was a monster, and it's not impossible that such could happen. It's just very unlikely.

I'm a Pats fan in Atlanta so I've watched the Falcons play probably more than anyone on this board (and believe me, that's not a point of pride).

Some context is needed for Austin Hooper. He's a fine average to above average tight end and way better than anyone currently on the roster. His stats are also inflated and somewhat misleading. Julio is almost always double teamed and Sanu and Ridley also command a lot of attention. With all that wide receiver talent, it's not that difficult to scheme Hooper open. If he's covered at all it's usually by a linebacker and not a safety or a corner back.

Would I like him on the Pats? Absolutely. But he's not elite by any means and will be severely overpaid next year by somebody.

I’d give up a 1st for OJ Howard hear me put. Not only is he a great reaching TE he’s an elite blocker as well which makes him extremely versatile. He was great last year playing with sorry ass Winston. We’d have to repay him after next season but having a top 5 TE with our next QB after Brady is huge. He’s only 24 so he’s extremely young. problem is
He’s getting a lot of playing time in Tampa even though it’s blocking. Howard has potential to be great

in that case I’d throw Burkhead and a 3rd for Cameron Brate. Very good red zone threat and a solid blocker.

WR isn’t that big of a need

I wouldn't call him an elite blocker, like Gronk was. Gronk was simply overpowering as a blocker, Howard is not that.

However, he is a very willing and tough blocker, and he really did more run blocking than receiving at Alabama (although he is a very good receiver also). On a good team like Alabama, he was perfectly happy to spend most of his time blocking for running backs as long as he occasionally had a two or three touchdown game (which he did, especially in some big games), he doesn't pout if he is mostly run blocking in a game or two. He is probably a better blocker than most TEs in the league, and he is a very willing blocker. However, don't expect the type of overpowering blocking contribution that Gronk gave, Gronk was really one of a kind as far as his blocking.

Bill Belichick on N'Keal Harry: "Physically he needs to be able to show he can go out there and participate competitively at the practice level that we're at. Hopefully that's where he'll be, but we'll make our final evaluations on that before we put him out there."

I wouldn't call him an elite blocker, like Gronk was. Gronk was simply overpowering as a blocker, Howard is not that.

However, he is a very willing and tough blocker, and he really did more run blocking than receiving at Alabama (although he is a very good receiver also). On a good team like Alabama, he was perfectly happy to spend most of his time blocking for running backs as long as he occasionally had a two or three touchdown game (which he did, especially in some big games), he doesn't pout if he is mostly run blocking in a game or two. He is probably a better blocker than most TEs in the league, and he is a very willing blocker. However, don't expect the type of overpowering blocking contribution that Gronk gave, Gronk was really one of a kind as far as his blocking.
I agree that gronk can't be the standard for comparison, because it will end with a let down. That said, Howard is the best name out there. He is one of the best TE prospects from recent years and hasn't unlocked his full potencial with the Bucs in my opinion

But that also means guys like Shaq Mason need to get their **** together and play like we know they are capable of.

Several of the beat writers have noticed him limping after games. They say he's gutting his way through some kind of knee injury. I hope he gets healthy and plays like we know he is capable of.

Last edited:
The open question is LeCosse. I suspect that BB likes him and would not have signed Watson had LeCosse been healthy. If LeCosse can play later this season, I suspect that we'll keep him on the 53. Otherwise, he goes on IR, to compete in camp in 2020.

The open question is LeCosse. I suspect that BB likes him and would not have signed Watson had LeCosse been healthy. If LeCosse can play later this season, I suspect that we'll keep him on the 53. Otherwise, he goes on IR, to compete in camp in 2020.

Well, apparently, LeGlasse gonna LeGlasse:

Why Ben Watson for the #Patriots? Tight end Matt LaCosse sprained his MCL in win over Giants and is expected to miss at least a few weeks. Give LaCosse credit for playing thru it Thursday night. Injury happened on failed 4th & 1.

Well, apparently, LeGlasse gonna LeGlasse:

Just IR him now Bill, and then negotiate an injury settlement so we can finally rid ourselves of this useless, over-paid, glass-made waste of everything football-related.

The thing is....

He didn't look particularly good in the few preseason plays he played, and that small sample of "meh" is being wildly overrated. In the meantime, he's missing week after week of game time, as a rookie WR, which means that his development is being curtailed. It's insane to pencil him in as anything but a low/no impact player. Anything he gives is gravy. That doesn't mean he's already a bust, or that he'll never be an NFL level player, or anything like that. It just means that the circumstances are what they are.

It would be great it he returned to the field and was a monster, and it's not impossible that such could happen. It's just very unlikely.

Please stop it with your BS. If your guy Dorsett did this you would faint from the force of your spontaneous ejaculation.

The only WR currently on the Pats roster with the size and physical ability to make these type of catches regularly is Gordon and Harry made these type of plays, or better, all the f-ing time in college. What he does in those two plays is exactly what the Pats offense needs right and IF that is the type of WR he can be week to week he will absolutely make an impact.

Time will tell but there sure as sh*t drafted him at the end of round 1 with the expectation that he would contribute in a big way this year and even with the lost time I suspect that BB and JMD disagree on your no/low impact prediction.

Just IR him now Bill, and then negotiate an injury settlement so we can finally rid ourselves of this useless, over-paid, glass-made waste of everything football-related.

It's not really clear how you feel about LaCosse

Please stop it with your BS. If your guy Dorsett did this you would faint from the force of your spontaneous ejaculation.

The only WR currently on the Pats roster with the size and physical ability to make these type of catches regularly is Gordon and Harry made these type of plays, or better, all the f-ing time in college. What he does in those two plays is exactly what the Pats offense needs right and IF that is the type of WR he can be week to week he will absolutely make an impact.

Time will tell but there sure as sh*t drafted him at the end of round 1 with the expectation that he would contribute in a big way this year and even with the lost time I suspect that BB and JMD disagree on your no/low impact prediction.

You're embarrassing yourself. Stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots