PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jarvis Landry??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to take your own advice and actually watch him run routes. Because that cut was so sharp he blew right by the defender, who had inside leverage on him, too.
giphy.gif

No one is saying he's just to pick up where Edelman left off. But "not close" to being a merely competent slot reciever. Yeah right.
That db was awful on that play. It had nothing to do with the route the DB was asleep.

You might want to take your own advice and actually watch him run routes. Because that cut was so sharp he blew right by the defender, who had inside leverage on him, too.
giphy.gif

No one is saying he's just to pick up where Edelman left off. But "not close" to being a merely competent slot reciever. Yeah right.

He is not even close to be a competent slot receiver. If you believe that based on 1-2 nice moves then you are blind to the fact that he only had limited flashes against second and third stringers. The key word as usual is consistency and he was not able to show cuts like that on multiple snaps. The thing is that this is normal and expected for a UDFA rookie so this is not a knock against him but more targeted at people who seriously expect him to play meaningful snaps this year.

Scenes like what you have posted show his potential when he puts everything together and will be the reason he wont be outright cut but end up on the practice squad with time to develop and maybe if all stars align be a legitimate option in 1-2 years.

He is not even close to be a competent slot receiver. If you believe that based on 1-2 nice moves then you are blind to the fact that he only had limited flashes against second and third stringers. The key word as usual is consistency and he was not able to show cuts like that on multiple snaps. The thing is that this is normal and expected for a UDFA rookie so this is not a knock against him but more targeted at people who seriously expect him to play meaningful snaps this year.

Scenes like what you have posted show his potential when he puts everything together and will be the reason he wont be outright cut but end up on the practice squad with time to develop and maybe if all stars align be a legitimate option in 1-2 years.

I agree that Carr is far from ready for prime time. However, I think that tape like that is what's going to get him claimed off waivers. His likelihood of being claimed still doesn't justify keeping him, though.

I agree that Carr is far from ready for prime time. However, I think that tape like that is what's going to get him claimed off waivers. His likelihood of being claimed still doesn't justify keeping him, though.

It really is difficult to judge what his chances are to make it to the PS especially with only one cutdown day now. Generally the likelihood of cut camp players getting claimed is low but then last year proved to be the opposite of that for the Pats. The Texans needing some WR depth is a dark cloud looming after joint practices.

I agree with Reiss that him not taking any snaps with Brady at all doesn't bode well for him to be on the 53 even if only initially so he can be smuggled to PS in the first or second week of the regular season.

It really is difficult to judge what his chances are to make it to the PS especially with only one cutdown day now. Generally the likelihood of cut camp players getting claimed is low but then last year proved to be the opposite of that for the Pats. The Texans needing some WR depth is a dark cloud looming after joint practices.

I agree with Reiss that him not taking any snaps with Brady at all doesn't bode well for him to be on the 53 even if only initially so he can be smuggled to PS in the first or second week of the regular season.

Yeah, I think it would almost have to be a "keep now, waive later" thing to get Carr to the PS. It seems to me that almost any team that thinks it needs better WR depth (Jets, Bears, e.g.) might think that Carr is an upgrade over their current JAGs. The same might apply to Lucien.

I'm not saying that will happen, just that it's a distinct possibility. Even though Carr went undrafted, I have to think that there were at least a couple other teams competing with the Pat to sign him as a UDFA.

Yeah, I think it would almost have to be a "keep now, waive later" thing to get Carr to the PS. It seems to me that almost any team that thinks it needs better WR depth (Jets, Bears, e.g.) might think that Carr is an upgrade over their current JAGs. The same might apply to Lucien.

I'm not saying that will happen, just that it's a distinct possibility. Even though Carr went undrafted, I have to think that there were at least a couple other teams competing with the Pat to sign him as a UDFA.

I am not particularly worried about Lucien. He spend an entire year on the PS and had another offseason to make a jump but really didn't. Not sure there is much more to him than what we have seen.

I am not particularly worried about Lucien. He spend an entire year on the PS and had another offseason to make a jump but really didn't. Not sure there is much more to him than what we have seen.

luuked I'm not so sure about that I can see Devin Lucien cementing a Spot with Big Game Thursday night he should see plenty of action. Lucien have played pretty well with Jimmy and the Second Team now they have an entire game to show their stuff. Austin Carr too should have an opportunity to make the bottom of the roster. A Big game by either will go a long way.

Let's make a friendly bet. I say he will not get claimed by anyone.

luuked I'm not so sure about that I can see Devin Lucien cementing a Spot with Big Game Thursday night he should see plenty of action. Lucien have played pretty well with Jimmy and the Second Team now they have an entire game to show their stuff. Austin Carr too should have an opportunity to make the bottom of the roster. A Big game by either will go a long way.
It would have to be an all time game.
You don't make a roster as a fringe guy by having a good game against fringe guys.

95% of udfas don't make the 53 so competition for a udfa isn't competition for a guy you think will make your team but for a guy who is a very long shot but could surprise.

Trade your best RB for a first-round bust. Genius.

I wouldn't be quick to label Dorsett a bust. Let's take into account a guy like Emmanuel sanders who took awhile to figure things out and we saw what he did with Peyton Manning. I think he would fit in this scheme. I like Lewis but he's in a crowded backfield and white and gillis will take a lot of those snaps! I would also use a guy like hogan. Some guys fit on our system.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be quick to label Dorsett a bust. Let's take into account a guy like Emmanuel sanders who took awhile to figure things out and we saw what he did with Peyton Manning. I think he would fit in this scheme. I like Lewis but he's in a crowded backfield and white and gillis will take a lot of those snaps! I would also use a guy like hogan. Some guys fit on our system.
So a guy isn't a bust because you found one guy who improved once?

When you have a lot of depth a position you don't trade the best player you have for a guy who would be a game day inactive.

Cooks hogan Mitchell and amendola will be active. Who are you benching for that scrub Dorsett?

So a guy isn't a bust because you found one guy who improved once?

When you have a lot of depth a position you don't trade the best player you have for a guy who would be a game day inactive.

Cooks hogan Mitchell and amendola will be active. Who are you benching for that scrub Dorsett?

Amendola's not a regular season guy. Did you think hogan was a scrub when he came from buffalo? Some guys just fit in a better system. He would be another playmaker that can you line up anywhere including the slot. He wouldn't be an inactive.

Since Lewis has produced 1200 yards and 6 TDs rushing + receiving in his entire NFL career, that could put Foster over the top.

They should just replace all their good proven players with Patsfans binkies, then they would be really good.

Amendola's not a regular season guy. Did you think hogan was a scrub when he came from buffalo? Some guys just fit in a better system. He would be another playmaker that can you line up anywhere including the slot. He wouldn't be an inactive.

DA is the Robert Horry of the NFL.

FTR, I'm fine with them keeping Foster and using him any way they see fit, but the idea of getting rid of Lewis is idiotic. The redundancy they have on this roster is one of their greatest strengths, and Lewis and White give them great redundancy and strength in the receiving back role. Brady exploits that role to the max, and with Edelman out for the season it becomes even more important. I'd like to see them bolster depth at DE and Ol, but they really don't need to do more than that at this point.

They should just replace all their good proven players with Patsfans binkies, then they would be really good.

You know that's not what I'm saying. Or at least , you should know.

FTR, I'm fine with them keeping Foster and using him any way they see fit, but the idea of getting rid of Lewis is idiotic. The redundancy they have on this roster is one of their greatest strengths, and Lewis and White give them great redundancy and strength in the receiving back role. Brady exploits that role to the max, and with Edelman out for the season it becomes even more important. I'd like to see them bolster depth at DE and Ol, but they really don't need to do more than that at this point.

The problem will be what type of snaps will he get? You can never have enough. I still have doubts about going with 4 wrs when one of those guys you dont know how healthy he is. I really like our running back situation. I think gillis will be one of bill's best acquisitions ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST