PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jarvis Landry: Dolphins will sweep the Patriots this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should he have said "yeah, they'll probably beat us twice this year"? Of course he shouldn't. You guys realize that this is a no-win situation for the players that get asked those kinds of questions by the press, right? They're the most competitive people in the world. Of course any competitive athlete is going to say they expect to win.
I loathe the "What was he supposed to say, that they'll lose?" argument every time something like this happens. Maybe the BB Brady era has spoiled us for sportsmanship. How about STFU and say nothing and let your play do the talking?

I mean, I understand that as a competitor, Landry has to be confident for himself and his team. But the right answer should be something along the lines of "they're a great team, they're defending champions and they're really gonna be one of the biggest challenges we face this year. I'm confident we have the ability to beat them, but we'll see how it goes on the field."

You never see BB or Brady going out saying "yeah, we're gonna sweep the Jets this year." Even though it's probably true.

Further, the "they're not our big brother anymore" comment is just stupid. They're not just YOUR big brother, they're THE ENTIRE LEAGUE'S big brother. They've won 2 SB's in the last 3 years, including the one 2 months ago. To try to say that things are somehow "different now" after they've JUST won a title (and dominated you at the end of the season in the process) is so disingenous and makes him look like a moron.

Exactly. Confidence is one thing and I respect that. But the brother comment is laughable. We beat them in week 2 with a 3rd string and we killed them week 17. Michael Floyd got arrested due to his second serious violation within a month, the massive hit and run in Miami.

We are your big brother. Until you can be competitive and beat us (at least once a year, for several years) sit back and try not to be too confident.

Landry can talk. He walked the walk against the Patriots in 2016: 19 receptions, 209 yards receiving, 1 TD in two losses to the Patriots. Good games for him. Not so good for the Dolphins.

This comment will be noted at the right time this Fall. Thank you, Jarvis.

I mean, I understand that as a competitor, Landry has to be confident for himself and his team. But the right answer should be something along the lines of "they're a great team, they're defending champions and they're really gonna be one of the biggest challenges we face this year. I'm confident we have the ability to beat them, but we'll see how it goes on the field."

You never see BB or Brady going out saying "yeah, we're gonna sweep the Jets this year." Even though it's probably true.

Further, the "they're not our big brother anymore" comment is just stupid. They're not just YOUR big brother, they're THE ENTIRE LEAGUE'S big brother. They've won 2 SB's in the last 3 years, including the one 2 months ago. To try to say that things are somehow "different now" after they've JUST won a title (and dominated you at the end of the season in the process) is so disingenous and makes him look like a moron.

The Patriots aren't their big brother. That is reserved for teams that are at least competitive, like the Steelers or Chiefs, but aren't good enough to take the next step. I would not even legitimize the big brother comment since it validates that they are even a real contender.

The Dolphins have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL since 2008; they have been consistently average. In each of the last eight seasons, they have won between 6-10 games and their point differential was within 2 PPG in six of those seasons. Their "playoff seasons" have been nothing short of a little luck, while their "down seasons" can be attributed to the same thing. There will be some deviation from an 8 win mean. In 2008, they had a point differential of +28, though they won 11 games. In their 10-win playoff berth last season, they had a point differential of -17. Not surprisingly, they lost by 18 points in their first playoff game in both seasons.

This team has not improved or taken the next step in any way. They generally lose to good teams, beat bad teams, and are about 50/50 against average teams. Just look at their results last year, and it follows this theme to a T. Average/below average team that capitalized on a weak schedule, went 8-2 in one possession games, and still got outscored overall and then outclassed in the playoffs.

Should he have said "yeah, they'll probably beat us twice this year"? Of course he shouldn't. You guys realize that this is a no-win situation for the players that get asked those kinds of questions by the press, right? They're the most competitive people in the world. Of course any competitive athlete is going to say they expect to win.

I don't think there's anyone in the league more competitive than Tom Brady - yet you won't hear him give an opponent bulletin board material like this buffoon just did (minus 2007, but they went 16-0 that season, so it's understandable.)

Also, the reason this is hilarious should be obvious - it's the Miami Dolphins. Everyone in this thread is right to laugh their ass off at this clown and his team. If this was a player on a team that's somewhat of a credible threat saying it, that would be a different story.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
I loathe the "What was he supposed to say, that they'll lose?" argument every time something like this happens. Maybe the BB Brady era has spoiled us for sportsmanship. How about STFU and say nothing and let your play do the talking?
And yet we've had examples of the Pats doing about the same thing from time to time over the years. Who gives a ****? The guy is competitive and he gave an answer that a competitor would. This forum tries entirely too hard sometimes to get offended by something.

And yet we've had examples of the Pats doing about the same thing from time to time over the years. Who gives a ****? The guy is competitive and he gave an answer that a competitor would. This forum tries entirely too hard sometimes to get offended by something.
Nobody's offended dude. It's just a preference and we're in the dead middle of the offseason with nothing to ***** about, so here we are. Being competitive is ok. I don't even GAF about the comment. But we don't have to go to the extreme of "Well, either he says he's going to curb stomp the **** out of NE or lick their asses and pray for forgiveness for being on the same field as them!" It doesn't have to be one or the other. Shutting the hell up is an option. Which he has every right not to exercise lol

It just reminds me of the Rex Ryan Jets years in 09 and 10. "I'm not here to kiss his rings!" "Well, WHAT ELSE IS HE SUPPOSED TA SAYYYY :eek::eek::eek::eek:"

does anyone have a scorecard on the opponent's predictions and the actual outcome? I'd like to think that the Pats hold the edge. Freddy Mitchell? comes to mind.

A thread mostly full of people who either didn't read the article or think something other than going into a fetal position when asked about the Patriots is the height of disrespect.
That's a false choice. One can read the article and disagree with Landry's comments.

Confidence is great, but he could have expressed confidence in the team without name dropping the Patriots and backing his team into a corner.

That's a false choice.

Yeah, no it's not. I'm describing a certain vocal group of posters on this board not asking you if you want the top or bottom half of the baby.

Confidence is great, but he could have expressed confidence in the team without name dropping the Patriots and backing his team into a corner.

It's hard to not name drop the team that has ruled football for a decade and a half and made a mockery of your division. All he says is he expects to sweep us, that in the past they've come in 'thinking about the guys on the other side of the line' or more bluntly, intimidated, and that he doesn't want it to be that way anymore. Exactly what you'd want out of a leader.

All he says is he expects to sweep us,
That's all.

When he got swept last year. And got btfo at home.

There is the option to, you know say 'nothing' or 'talk around the answer'. You don't /have/ to be a **** or come off sounding like a moron because you let a reporter bait you.

He sounds like a moron. He's being rightfully excoriated for it, and it has nothing to do with 'leadership', that's a joke.

Ray Lewis killed a dolphin.

Yeah, no it's not. I'm describing a certain vocal group of posters on this board not asking you if you want the top or bottom half of the baby

You literally gave us two choices... people who didn't read the article or people who expect players to curl up into the fetal position.

The people who disagree with you disagree with the second half of your statement. No one expects players to back down from a challenge or lack confidence. Whether or not it's smart to name drop the Pats is up for debate, especially when it was done in such a public way so as to attract the attention of the Patriots. The Patriots might be the best team in history at using bulletin board material to motivate themselves to victory.

A better leader would have gathered the team in camp (privately) and made it their goal to sweep the Pats.

A better leader would have gathered the team in camp (privately) and made it their goal to sweep the Pats.

And said to the reporter, "We don't care about other teams, we only care about our own team and what we can do."

That's NOT ****ing hard.

I don't see him actually saying that they will sweep the Pats this year.. what he said isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting when I read the thread title

Still funny that they'll use the Pats to get their name out there though.. "Look at me! Pay attention to me!" is what he should have said to cut right to the point

I'm not offended...I think confidence is good. I couldn't care less about the lack of "respect" for the Patriots. I am more amused about the Dolphins, and the fact he is going to look foolish come next season. I also believe that when players start talking a lot like this, like the Jets in the Rex Ryan era, it really does effect the way they play, since they are punch drunk and complacent on their perceived success, so it makes it harder to be critical and look to improve. As an organization, it seems the Dolphins think they are pretty well stocked, based on their approach of keeping the band together and extending players, but not really exchanging anyone. This is going to blow up.

The team was outscored on the season, went 8-2 in one possession games (a huge indicator they are going to disappoint next year with the same squad), and proved once again they can't play with the big boys. The only team they beat all season with a winning record was Pittsburgh, and then in the playoffs that proved to be a fluke. backup QB or not. They were 1-5 against teams .500 or better. The only thing they did differently this season was swept the Jets and Bills, and three of those games could have gone either way. 60% of their wins came against teams with 5 or less wins, the result of a last place schedule.

At .341, their 2016 Strength of Victory was (a) by far the lowest of any team in the 2016 playoffs, (b) 27th out of 32 teams, and (c) the second lowest among all 72 playoff teams in the past six years.

Below is a list of their wins:

Browns (1-15)
49ers (2-14)
Rams (4-12)
Chargers (5-11)
Jets (5-11)
Jets (5-11)
Bills (7-9)
Bills (7-9)
Cardinals (7-8-1)
Steelers (11-5)

And losses:

Patriots (14-2)
Patriots (14-2)
Steelers (11-5) * playoffs
Seahawks (10-5-1)
Titans (9-7)
Ravens (8-8)
Bengals (6-9-1)

No, I don't expect Landry to cite a bunch of egghead research and proclaim that his team is overrated. However, I think the entire thing is amusing, that teams get an overly inflated sense of greatness and start talking about their invincibility, especially when you can just take your shoes off, put em up on your desk, and watch the inevitable which you knew was coming...in this case the failure of the 2017 Dolphins. To me, the irony is great, that he is talking about beating a 17-2 team twice, when they can't even beat two .500 teams in one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes