PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White gets a 3 year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
If true, then that is a Horrible deal. Sorry not sorry, but there's no way that he's worth that money. Hell, I wouldn't have offered the other 2 guys $3.15M each per year either.

Meanwhile, how many Offensive Tackles has Bill signed this off-season? And besides the Kony Ealy trade, how many Defensive Ends?
Acquire them through the draft, you say? With what feckin picks? Bill's already used them on Mike Williams, Barkevious Mingo, Terry Glenn 2.0 and now Gillislee. And what's worse about losing those picks, is that Bill now has Zero ammunition to maneuver during the draft to acquire players or more picks.

We need talent in the trenches, and Bill gives us shiny trinkets.

giphy.gif

Good or White for getting his contract. I know Brady is a huge fan and I think this reflects building the best team they can around Tom for the next 2 to 3 years.

Years 1 and 2 he was putrid as a runner, blow on him and he would fall down and did not seem to have the acceleration you want in a small back. Improved this year and I put a lot of faith in what Maine209 says about running backs so hoping on continued improvement which I think the contract reflects a similar belief on the Patriots part.

All this money going out to running backs must have 1,161 yards 18TD Legarette Blount asking WTF.

If true, then that is a Horrible deal. Sorry not sorry, but there's no way that he's worth that money. Hell, I wouldn't have offered the other 2 guys $3.15M each per year either.

Meanwhile, how many Offensive Tackles has Bill signed this off-season? And besides the Kony Ealy trade, how many Defensive Ends?
Acquire them through the draft, you say? With what feckin picks? Bill's already used them on Mike Williams, Barkevious Mingo, Terry Glenn 2.0 and now Gillislee. And what's worse about losing those picks, is that Bill now has Zero ammunition to maneuver during the draft to acquire players or more picks.

We need talent in the trenches, and Bill gives us shiny trinkets.

Hi. You can't say that. The gtd money is not that much, this is probably a 2 year deal something like:

3 - 2m gtd
3.5 - 2m gtd
5.5 - 0.79 m dead money

Let's see the contract first ..

Looks like the cap hit over the next two years is just over $2M per year ($2.15M average) then we'll see.

Looks like the cap hit over the next two years is just over $2M per year ($2.15M average) then we'll see.

Looked at another way, by the end of 2018, White will have earned $6.19M (including his entire signing bonus. At that point, the Pats could cut or trade him and save the rest (about $6.5M, net).

Still kinda small change in the grand scheme of things with the way the cap has been increasing.

You've undervalued Butler and, as a result, are giving away Chung and Lewis in the deal.

The Pats are asking for 32 and 42 for Butler..By your own statements, Vaccaro isn't that much of an upgrade over Chung.

He's not an upgrade over Chung.

Trade your starting strong safety, starting left corner and starting running back for an overhyped safety who isn't as good as the ones you have, and what amounts to the first pick of the 2nd round. Genius.

Last edited:
All this money going out to running backs must have 1,161 yards 18TD Legarette Blount asking WTF.

Blount fumbled the ball when we were driving downfield and scores were even. He fumbled in an irresponsible manner, since he was taught in the game plan to be wary of the Falcons defense pawing on the ball while holding the tackle up and he messed up anyway. He was pretty much benched the rest of the game after that.

Meanwhile James White gave an MVP performance in the Super Bowl.

Blount's regular season performance mostly consisted of garbage yards and clean-up duty in the 2nd half and especially 4th quarter and a sub 4.0 YPC crap overall average while Tom was delivering an NFL MVP quality season. Now that Blount is 30+ I expect YPC to head to 3.5 in short order.

Blount YPC with Patriots

2013 - 5.0
2014 - 4.7
2015 - 4.3
2016 - 3.9
2017 - ? ......... I bet 3.6 at best.

For a one-dimensional back who doesn't catch, and tips our bias to run when he's on the field (we have 3 other backs who CAN catch), Blount better be doing 4.1 or 4.2 minimum to justify his inclusion.

Blount is done.

So I have been working all week, is Blount gone or still "all but" gone?

I love Lewis but he sure looks like the odd man out.

I don't think so, I think Dion will be on the team in 2017. He was unstoppable in 2015 before he got hurt and he should only be better in 2017.

Don't really understand complaints about White's contract.
Best receiver, best rusher, best scorer for Pats in SBLI including winning TD.
Quite a weapon @ 4y/5Mgtd, 1.8M + 2.5M cap hits in next 2 years.

Maybe this article can put the numbers in context some more..
Super Bowl LI Retrospective: James White Did His Job - Inside The Pylon
Whatever White lacks as a runner (currently) he more than makes up for as a receiver and as a pass protector. That receiving back role has always been a key component of our offense and White has been stellar in that regard over the course of the past two seasons.

The kid has made a bunch of big plays in the passing game ever since he saw significant playing time.

If none of that is enough to make up for his mediocre ability in the run game, then I would point to Belichick who determined he is part of our future and Brady who has gushed about him as both a player and teammate.

Was thrilled to hear about his extension.

Don't really understand complaints about White's contract.
Best receiver, best rusher, best scorer for Pats in SBLI including winning TD.
Quite a weapon @ 4y/5Mgtd, 1.8M + 2.5M cap hits in next 2 years.

Maybe this article can put the numbers in context some more..
Super Bowl LI Retrospective: James White Did His Job - Inside The Pylon
I agree. I like the deal even more after seeing the yearly breakdowns from Miguel. If he continues to play a big role in the offense that 2019 cap number of 4m dollars may end up being a steal. The good news is that we have him under contract beyond this season and can cross off a key FA off the list for next spring. In the meantime, we have him for the next two seasons with fairly minimal cap hits.

I think those who don't care for the AAV of 3m per are factoring in the Burkhead and Lewis deals, too, at least I would assume. It may take posters a little while to grasp the idea of spending a few bucks at the RB position, but we certainly needed an upgrade in my opinion.

So I have been working all week, is Blount gone or still "all but" gone?
He hasn't signed with anyone else if that's what you're asking, but the spots are filling up quickly.

Lewis
White
Burkhead
Devlin
Foster
Little Gronk
Bolden

Add in the potential of Gilleslee (at a 4m cap hit for 2017) and it would seem as though the Pats may even view him as their lead RB. To take it one step further, the possibility still exists for a mid/late round flier in the draft.

Obviously, some of these players are not going to be on the 53 man roster, so spots are precious as it is. Blount is certainly on the outside looking in, and if the Bills don't choose to match the offer sheet, the door is basically closed.

I am going to disagree with Biffins on Blount's contribution last year. He showed up big time early in the season. Still surprised at the lack of respect 18 touchdowns gets you. Sure he slowed down in the playoffs, but he held up better than Bell.

I get the analytics piece of how the "new" backs make us a more dangerous offence. Just I am a fan and not BB and I loved what Blount has given us.

If the Bills do not match Gilleslee, then barring Blount being available following a mid-season injury, his days playing for the Patriots are done. I think the last 3 names on Supafly's list are very much on the 53 bubble.

Still surprised at the lack of respect 18 touchdowns gets you. Sure he slowed down in the playoffs, but he held up better than Bell.

Eh there is context to Blount's 18 TD. Such as the fact of Gillislee was better on a carries per TD basis and his pace would have gotten him 24 rushing TDs on 300 carries

Blount 18 TD on 300 carries (16.6 carries per TD)
Gillislee 8 TD on 100 carries (12.5 carries per TD)

Then there is Gillislee being a better big run threat

Blount 7 runs of 20+ yards (Averaged a 20+ yard run every 42.8 rushes)
Gillislee 7 runs of 20+ yards (Averaged a 20+ yard run every 14.2 rushes)

Gillislee was also better at picking up 1st downs

Blount 67 first downs (4.4 rushes per 1st down)
Gillislee 39 first downs (2.5 rushes per 1st down)

I am going to disagree with Biffins on Blount's contribution last year. He showed up big time early in the season. Still surprised at the lack of respect 18 touchdowns gets you. Sure he slowed down in the playoffs, but he held up better than Bell.

I get the analytics piece of how the "new" backs make us a more dangerous offence. Just I am a fan and not BB and I loved what Blount has given us.

If the Bills do not match Gilleslee, then barring Blount being available following a mid-season injury, his days playing for the Patriots are done. I think the last 3 names on Supafly's list are very much on the 53 bubble.
Blount deserves nothing but respect on this board. He has strengths and weaknesses. He and the Pats did the very best they could to maximize his abilities and the result was a pretty damn good year for him and a world championship.

It's a new year and the Pats feel they can upgrade the production at the position. Nothing more.

Last edited:
If he would lay off his Anti Belichick schtick and realize that you can be the best at what you do and still fail at draft picks BECAUSE IT IS A ****ING CLUSTER**** then he'd be someone who can contribute to a meaningful discussion. Unfortunately, over 50% of his posts are about how BB is ****ing up this team year after year. This is not critical nature this is just being a loud idiot.
I believe BB's sees draft picks like lottery tickets. He's very good at evaluating veteran talent and usually has a complete team assembled prior to the draft. Since he is never in the position to draft the superior talent he gambles on the big upside/big risk prospects. Some work (Vollmer, Collins et, al) some don't (Wheatly, Brace....). If they miss, he fills in with cheap veteran talent. His trophy case proves he knows what he's doing.

One other thing about over emphasis on draft picks is by time they truly become useful, they hit free agency and want big money (i.e. Collins, Jones, Hightower, Butler this year). A team can quickly become top heavy and salary cap limited without the corresponding results on the field, for example the Buffalo Bills. BB has done a good job in managing the complete picture - win and maintain.

Yeah the picture is emerging that Blount "might could" get quite more elsewhere... 18 TD on a lot of runs (with a great number of goal line carries, which will take down your avg., btw) vs. 8 TDs on 100 runs is comparing apples and oranges. 300 runs in a BB offense is an enormous vote of confidence, by the way - BB seems to like that reliable 3 yards much more than that homerun threat. But that said he likes people knowing their roles too. And if he's going to pay much at all for a RB he'd better have an upside.

You've heard the old phrase, 3 things can happen on a pass, and two of them are bad... BB seems to have no fear of the other 2 bad things, and it's an easy attitude to have with TFB at QB.

So he seems to have translated that fear to the run game LOL... what I mean is, you remember Antowaine Smith? He was here b/c he was a "mudder" and he might have a 3.5 ypc average, but you could TRUST that 3.5 yards, whenever we have something like a "bell cow." (Dillon was to our run game what Moss was to our pass game, an outlier. You don't say no when that talent's available.)

Blount just wants to be paid like he just scored 18 TDs and BB wants to pay him like "yeah but you might not next year." Shrug. His call what offer to make....

A SB fumble is more than a mid-season fumble, that's a given... but I think what's happening here is that BB is filling roles, and the signal to Blount is "you're a role player."

And Blount has every right to say "Yeah maybe I'll play a role somewhere else... but dang not Pittsburgh" LOL.

Blount's numbers remind me of Eddie George. To date.

And what BB knows is what he thinks we'll be saying about Blount in 1 year.

I believe BB's sees draft picks like lottery tickets. He's very good at evaluating veteran talent and usually has a complete team assembled prior to the draft. Since he is never in the position to draft the superior talent he gambles on the big upside/big risk prospects. Some work (Vollmer, Collins et, al) some don't (Wheatly, Brace....). If they miss, he fills in with cheap veteran talent. His trophy case proves he knows what he's doing.

One other thing about over emphasis on draft picks is by time they truly become useful, they hit free agency and want big money (i.e. Collins, Jones, Hightower, Butler this year). A team can quickly become top heavy and salary cap limited without the corresponding results on the field, for example the Buffalo Bills. BB has done a good job in managing the complete picture - win and maintain.

Yes, I agree and I think we have discussed this at various places to the point of nausea. And, yet, every year we get the same weird threads..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes