PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White gets a 3 year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
People really fell in love with Blount's 1 yard touchdown runs, huh? Thankfully the Pats know what he is.

Ah, do you know the last back who topped 18 TD in a season was and how many years ago? It is kind of a big deal.

Being able to punch the ball across the GL is a great skill and I have seen our team when we don't have a player to do that.

Back on topic, yay for White and yay for Brady with the signing.

Ah, do you know the last back who topped 18 TD in a season was and how many years ago? It is kind of a big deal.

Being able to punch the ball across the GL is a great skill and I have seen our team when we don't have a player to do that.

Back on topic, yay for White and yay for Brady with the signing.
Pete Carroll would agree, I'm sure.

Not bad for the guy "who does everything right," according to the GOAT. Well deserved and earned. His play in the SB was nothing short of one of the most clutch performances by an athlete in the biggest moments in the biggest game. White is still an ascending player. I think when Vereen did it, not to take too much away from him at all, we'd seen the best of him. I don't think we've seen the best of White and, while I don't think we'll ever see the second coming of the classiest player to ever play in a Charger uniform, I think don't think we've seen all of White's ability just yet. I think the extension says the Patriots feel at least in part the same way.

WOW, this one surprises me. I wonder how much it is for? I was actually wondering today, if they could get a 2nd rounder for him, since his value is never going to get higher than right now.

Evidently they decided to make him the next Kevin Faulk, without the running ability. He can obviously catch the ball, and has made himself into a very good pass blocker. He's just ANOTHER Patriot player who has made himself a long Patriot career by become a "dependable" player. Good for him. I am happy he made me wrong over and over again last season. ;)

I don't know, he seems to be pretty on par with Faulks running ability, I mean the guy did score a 2 point conversion and a TD on the ground. The TD was through 3 Falcons players too.

Eh there is context to Blount's 18 TD. Such as the fact of Gillislee was better on a carries per TD basis and his pace would have gotten him 24 rushing TDs on 300 carries

Blount 18 TD on 300 carries (16.6 carries per TD)
Gillislee 8 TD on 100 carries (12.5 carries per TD)

Then there is Gillislee being a better big run threat

Blount 7 runs of 20+ yards (Averaged a 20+ yard run every 42.8 rushes)
Gillislee 7 runs of 20+ yards (Averaged a 20+ yard run every 14.2 rushes)

Gillislee was also better at picking up 1st downs

Blount 67 first downs (4.4 rushes per 1st down)
Gillislee 39 first downs (2.5 rushes per 1st down)

The thing is, it isn't a simple extrapolation from 100 carries up to 300 carries. The wear and tear of higher use is inevitably going to reduce productivity per carry. More carries also means running in a wider variety of situations and against a wider variety of defensive personnel groupings.

In his two years in BUF, Gillislee has averaged 7.4 rushes per game. In 2016, Blount averaged 18.7 rushes per game and was on the field for an average of 33 snaps per game.

One of the reasons, I believe, that the Pats are attempting to acquire Gillislee is to partner/share carries with Burkhead so the neither of them ends up carrying the ball nearly 19 times a game every game. It will keep both fresher, healthy and more productive per carry. Blount didn't have that in 2016. The Pats basically ran the guy into the ground.

I don't know, he seems to be pretty on par with Faulks running ability, I mean the guy did score a 2 point conversion and a TD on the ground. The TD was through 3 Falcons players too.
With all do respect to White, he can't hold Faulk's jock as a runner. The 2 yd he got after contact on the game winning TD were probably the first yards after contact he got all year.

Don't make White into something he isn't, and that is a relable rusher. He just isn't. He's an excellent receiver. His fair at getting yards after the catch, and a good pass blocker. That is what he is. The Pats paid him for what he is plus a small premium for being dependable healthy and always well prepared. His signing bonus (around $4MM IIRC) will be the biggest single check he'll ever get in the NFL. Also IIRC, if he lasts the entire deal without giving some of it back or being cut, his highest cap charge will be $4MM.

The mediots are making a big deal about the Pats paying a lot of money to their RB's. The fact is its only a lot of money RELATIVE to the what the Pats usually pay. It's still not much when you compare it with other skill positions.

With all do respect to White, he can't hold Faulk's jock as a runner. The 2 yd he got after contact on the game winning TD were probably the first yards after contact he got all year.

Don't make White into something he isn't, and that is a relable rusher. He just isn't. He's an excellent receiver. His fair at getting yards after the catch, and a good pass blocker. That is what he is. The Pats paid him for what he is plus a small premium for being dependable healthy and always well prepared. His signing bonus (around $4MM IIRC) will be the biggest single check he'll ever get in the NFL. Also IIRC, if he lasts the entire deal without giving some of it back or being cut, his highest cap charge will be $4MM.

The mediots are making a big deal about the Pats paying a lot of money to their RB's. The fact is its only a lot of money RELATIVE to the what the Pats usually pay. It's still not much when you compare it with other skill positions.

I wouldn't go that far, the most rushing yards Faulk ever got in a year was bout 600. White is only in his 3rd year. We'll see what happens to him as a rusher. I would say it's too early to call if he can reach the level of Kevin Faulk as a running back, which honestly wouldn't be that difficult.

I wouldn't go that far, the most rushing yards Faulk ever got in a year was bout 600. White is only in his 3rd year. We'll see what happens to him as a rusher. I would say it's too early to call if he can reach the level of Kevin Faulk as a running back, which honestly wouldn't be that difficult.
Both Faulk and Vereen had their moments but running the ball was never their strong suit. White isn't on their level currently but it's not out of the question for him to further improve in that area,

Yep. Faulk hit the 600 yd mark his 5th year in the league. It took him a while.

As a runner White has room for improvement but it's doubtful he sees 150 carries consistently.

I's not even a lot of money relative to what many other teams are paying their RBs.

Burkhead is currently the 18th highest paid RB in the league for 2016. The Jets are paying Forte and Powell a combined $9.6M.

At the moment, White is the 18th highest paid RB under contract for 2018, and making less than Danny Woodhead.

From 1999-2009, Faulk averaged 76 carries and 318 yards rushing. White had 39/166 in 2016.

OTOH, Faulk had 16TDs rushing and 15TDs receiving over 11 seasons. In three seasons, including the playoffs, White already has 4 TDs rushing and 9 TDs receiving. Faulk also never had a season receiving quite as big as what White had in 2016.

From 1999-2009, Faulk averaged 76 carries and 318 yards rushing. White had 39/166 in 2016.

OTOH, Faulk had 16TDs rushing and 15TDs receiving over 11 seasons. In three seasons, including the playoffs, White already has 4 TDs rushing and 9 TDs receiving. Faulk also never had a season receiving quite as big as what White had in 2016.
Faulk came a baker's dozen short in receiving yardage in 2008.

18 TDs, period, damn straight people are fond of that. "Nice to see these fools still like getting 6 points better than 3"

Yeahhhhh, I guess red zone production is wannahave, not gotta have. Apparently bb liked him enough to put him in a rare non-committee role (300 carries make you a main option not first among equals,)

That said yeah, looks like he's not good enough in that role and white was lights out - and there are other toys out there to play with.

Nobody's screaming omg we have to keeeep him.

Two numbers, 18 and 3.5. He got his year at the top because of 18 Not 3.5. We all get it. But punch-it-in role is worth keeping at the right price.

Doesn't look like it's happening, it is what it is.

Heck, Kevin Faulk could have fumbled his way off the team before Brady started (he had 6(!) fumbles his first season under BB).

18 TDs, period, damn straight people are fond of that. "Nice to see these fools still like getting 6 points better than 3"

Yeahhhhh, I guess red zone production is wannahave, not gotta have. Apparently bb liked him enough to put him in a rare non-committee role (300 carries make you a main option not first among equals,)

That said yeah, looks like he's not good enough in that role and white was lights out - and there are other toys out there to play with.

Two numbers, 18 and 3.5. He got his year at the top because of 18 Not 3.5. We all get it. But punch-it-in role is worth keeping at the right price.

While Blount did great in short yardage situations last year, his production dropped off a cliff toward the end of the season. I don't know if it was because he was hurt or if age is catching up. But unfortunately being a running back on the wrong side of 30 is never good in today's NFL.

In the eight seasons 2009-2016, the Pats ground game ranked Top-6 in rushing TDs six times (5th in 2016) and in the Top-3 four times. In 2016, the Pats were also Top-5 in 3rd-down conversion rate. IIRC, the Pats RB corps were also among the best in ball security (even Zeke Elliot fumbled five times).

But, y'know, "total rushing yards" is still used as the ground game ranking measure by the guys in the TV booth, and 4.0 ypc still seems to be the minimum standard for judging an RBs effectiveness.

Notably, when Scar was NOT coaching the OL in 2014 & 2015, the Pats ground game put up its two worst statistical seasons since about 2005.

While Blount did great in short yardage situations last year, his production dropped off a cliff toward the end of the season. I don't know if it was because he was hurt or if age is catching up. But unfortunately being a running back on the wrong side of 30 is never good in today's NFL.

In Blount's six seasons prior to 2016, he averaged 145 carries/year with a high of 201 during his rookie season back in 2010.

Blount carried 334 times last season, playoffs included. The only other RB to top 300 totes in 2016 was rookie Zeke Elliot. Only 11 other RBs topped 250.

Blount's 334 in 2016 marked only the 4th time during BB's tenure that an RB has gone over 300 carries in a season + playoffs. The others were:

... Smith in 2001 - finishing 40 days short of his 30th birthday (he played two more seasons in NE at a decent level)
... Dillon in 2004 - finishing three months AFTER turing 30 (he played two more seasons in NE at a high level)
... Ridley in 2012 (when he was a relative youngster)
... Blount in 2016 - finishing two months after turning 30

Other than those four seasons, Pats RBs have rarely topped even 200 carries for a season + playoffs and averaged about 175.

It should also be noted that Smith, Dillon and Ridley ALL fumbled as many (or more) times in their one biggest season with the Pats than Blount has fumbled in his entire 4-year career with the Pats.

I'm not saying that Blount is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the disrespect he gets from fans after what he's contributed to the Pats (on the cheap!) makes absolutely no sense to me.

I thought this was strange given bill letting woodhead, vereen go.

BUT what white has over vereen and lewis is durability. He hasnt missed a game from what I remember. And we saw what happened when brady only had bolden as his 3rd down back in 2013 woth vereen out

Am interested to see how all of the pieces fit this year. They seem more interchangeable than what we've been used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back