PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White gets a 3 year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how you can get better at running.

Fair question.

White ran behind a power-man blocking scheme in college in which the running lanes are fairly pre-determined. The Pats run primarily a zone-blocking scheme in which the RB needs to find a hole to run through. That's the new skill that White has been learning, not the actual "running" part.

Bear in mind this was the guy they thought showed LaDanian Tomlinson signs in his first pre-pad workouts. Maybe they think there's still more to come from him.
To think we may have the future classiest player in the NFL on our team already.:D

That's a bad contract for a receiving only RB and completely unlike the Pats model of value.

11 M per year in RBs? What the?

Yes, although NE can usually plug in any ole rookie RB, there is a 1yr or 2yr growth period, and more than a few flame outs with FA's or rooks. BB is loading up on "sure" things, or as much as you can get in the NFL.

I think as to why, we are seeing are two contributing factors:
1) NE has the cash. Fiscal responsibility and increasing cap projections, have them looking pretty good.
2) BB wants to keep this team from experiencing the slight dips and zags of growing pains / acclimation periods , IMO signifying he's loading up (more than usual for NE) for the twilight (2, 3?, 4??, 5??? yrs remaining) of TB's career. Reading between the lines, if you look at all the moves as a whole this off season, unlike past seasons where there was a balance between immediate yrs 1-2 and not so immediate yrs 3-4+, these moves are a bit more front loaded. Heavier expected returns on yrs 1 & 2, ok on yr 3, and a bit less concerned with years 4 and beyond. This is not this deal only, this is all the deals so far this off season; trading away early and mid picks for young established players with less years of control, slightly overpaying for RB positions, keeping established core players instead of the usually roster churn, are all examples of a slight shift in BB's team building (GM) priorities a bit. All logic trickling down from maximizing TB's (remaining) value a bit differently than you would have 15, 10 or 5 yrs ago. IMO.

Edit: The logical extension of this, is that we're sure to see quite a few OL in the draft, more so than other positions. This is a good type of pick that plays into a 2-3 yr window with current roster/contract setup, I.E. Keeping TB on his feet. Not only that, but there are sure to be a few rough diamonds OL at the spots we are picking. Which as a whole wouldn't surprise me is the entire draft strategy for all positional picks, going for high risk, high return guys that can pay off big in a short window, or cast off from a deep deep team if they cannot.

Last edited:

Reason to post this:

td_swry6u.gif

Day of big news continues. Great news actually. Wonder what this means for Dion Lewis.

I'm holding out that Lewis will regain the step he lost last season and chalk that up to his being not fully recovered from his ACL.

Not a bad deal, but more than we normally pay to a running back.

If true, then that is a Horrible deal. Sorry not sorry, but there's no way that he's worth that money. Hell, I wouldn't have offered the other 2 guys $3.15M each per year either.

Meanwhile, how many Offensive Tackles has Bill signed this off-season? And besides the Kony Ealy trade, how many Defensive Ends?
Acquire them through the draft, you say? With what feckin picks? Bill's already used them on Mike Williams, Barkevious Mingo, Terry Glenn 2.0 and now Gillislee. And what's worse about losing those picks, is that Bill now has Zero ammunition to maneuver during the draft to acquire players or more picks.

We need talent in the trenches, and Bill gives us shiny trinkets.

If true, then that is a Horrible deal. Sorry not sorry, but there's no way that he's worth that money. Hell, I wouldn't have offered the other 2 guys $3.15M each per year either.

Meanwhile, how many Offensive Tackles has Bill signed this off-season? And besides the Kony Ealy trade, how many Defensive Ends?
Acquire them through the draft, you say? With what feckin picks? Bill's already used them on Mike Williams, Barkevious Mingo, Terry Glenn 2.0 and now Gillislee. And what's worse about losing those picks, is that Bill now has Zero ammunition to maneuver during the draft to acquire players or more picks.

You're right. Season's over.

None of us know the terms of White's contract, for all we know it can be a modest 2-year deal with 2 dummy option years.

$4m a year for a guy who will get you 800 yards of offense and protect TB12 is a steal

You're insufferable with this "**** on BB" tirade you're always on.. news flash, NOBODY IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME OF FOOTBALL IS BETTER THAN BELICHICK AT COACHING AND MANAGING A FOOTBALL TEAM

Does...not...compute

$4m a year for a guy who will get you 800 yards of offense and protect TB12 is a steal
Still less than what Vereen got and this deal is two years later.

Bottom line is that White would have received a better deal on the open market next spring, so I don't have an issue with keeping him. He caught 75-80 balls including the postseason. To me, that's certainly worth 4m AAV.

Even if Gillislee signs the offer sheet, AND the Bills decide not to match it (neither of which has even happened yet),

Gillislee signed. jills have 3 more days to decide whether to match.

shut the f**k up, troll.

Still less than what Vereen got and this deal is two years later.

Bottom line is that White would have received a better deal on the open market next spring, so I don't have an issue with keeping him. He caught 75-80 balls including the postseason. To me, that's certainly worth 4m AAV.
Captain is a hard core fan. Hes just sees a downside when it doesn't exist sometimes

Captain is a hard core fan. Hes just sees a downside when it doesn't exist sometimes
I think that would be a perfect descriptor of Captain Stone. He is definitely a hard core fan who is not afraid to voice his criticism, but sometimes/often (depending upon opinion) that criticism is unfounded. There are still plenty of times where his points are valid, although I think he's easily dismissed by many due to his critical nature.

He's certainly not going to be confused for a "homer," that's for sure. :D

Or maybe it's just this...

As productive a season as James White had in 2016, I wouldn't put him in Kevin Faulk's class just yet. There are still some aspects of Faulk's game that White can't touch yet: namely his running ability.

I think that would be a perfect descriptor of Captain Stone. He is definitely a hard core fan who is not afraid to voice his criticism, but sometimes/often (depending upon opinion) that criticism is unfounded. There are still plenty of times where his points are valid, although I think he's easily dismissed by many due to his critical nature.

He's certainly not going to be confused for a "homer," that's for sure. :D

If he would lay off his Anti Belichick schtick and realize that you can be the best at what you do and still fail at draft picks BECAUSE IT IS A ****ING CLUSTER**** then he'd be someone who can contribute to a meaningful discussion. Unfortunately, over 50% of his posts are about how BB is ****ing up this team year after year. This is not critical nature this is just being a loud idiot.

Yes he was.

4.3 in the regular season this year and rushed 6 times in the super bowl for 29 yards (4.8) and more important made the key runs for the a 2 point conversion and 2 TDs

He was serviceable when not ask to run the load up the box and run kind of O which he will never be asked to run here anyway.

He was decent enough for a 3rd down back. Not good. Decent enough. I know he was bad when he first got here and that seems to have carried over to influence the opinion about what he was last year and what i think he will be from now on.

I have a dumb question (sorry for being a dumb fan from France...) about goalline run TDs : are they taken into account in the yard/carries calculation ? It sounds quite unfair that a successful run TD attempt from the 1 or 2 yard line affects negatively your yard/carry average.

I have a dumb question (sorry for being a dumb fan from France...) about goalline run TDs : are they taken into account in the yard/carries calculation ? It sounds quite unfair that a successful run TD attempt from the 1 or 2 yard line affects negatively your yard/carry average.
Yes, they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft