Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by HailHydra, Sep 23, 2019.
There are lots of ways to skin a cat. The offense will just have to morph into something else.
Been wondering about your question too.
I hope the Develin injury isn’t a career ending one or anything life changing. Hopefully he has the best care around him as Neck injuries can be a nightmare in some cases. Let’s get behind Johnson, I’m sure there will be some practice this week with him and the O-Line with the blocking scheme
Unfortunately, the PA is a big staple of our offense, without it we are easily reduced to being one dimensional.
We use the run to set up a lot of our offense.
Develin was worth keeping a roster spot for.
He has not been playing well this season even before his injury.
The IR rules are partly designed to prevent player stashing. Your way would, obviously, not do that.
Does Bill seem to have an itchy IR trigger finger this year?
Jakob killed a guy
Develin is probably an overrated part of the run game. Is he why we ran over people late last year or was it a completely healthy, cohesive OL and Gronk? Far easier to find someone that does what Develin does than what an OL or Gronk does.
On what specifically do you base this view?
“Week to week”
In New England, 2019, "week to week" seems to lead to "Let's take no chances. We'll rest them up for at least half the season".
Well come week 6 (the first week Harry can come back and practice) several decisions will have to be made. Some thoughts
1. I don't think we fill the roster spot this week and leave it open when Watson comes back next Monday.
2. Devlin's loss will have more implications that just what he does as a blocker at the point of attack. His experience has allowed him to be a factor in pass protection as well as in the passing attack, and as a short yardage runner.
The FB has to make a lot of quick decisions as to who to block given how the defense responds. Over time Devlin has mastered that. Hard to think that a rookie will be able to do more than fire up into a hole and hit the first thing he sees.
3. Worrying about your FB is a First World problem that would send fans of most team to scratching their heads.
4. Wynn coming back is a given. I think Harry's return will be contingent on how well Johnson does and the health of our receiving corps in a month.
5. You don't F*ck around with next issues
Develin has to be the odd man out. (1) Because they already have an in-house replacement, and (2) the other guys are just more valuable, I think.
You outkicked your coverage bro
We went years without a fullback because we couldn’t find a good one. Used Connelly in that role instead and it showed.
Roster spot must be filled per NFL rules b/c they have a 3rd year player on PS. This is in my brain but I don’t know where my shoes are.
How is a rookie WR who hasn't played a snap more valuable than Develin?
We couldn’t find a good one or weren’t looking for/didn’t want to waste a roster spot on one?
Separate names with a comma.