PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Develin on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IR rules are partly designed to prevent player stashing. Your way would, obviously, not do that.
Don’t care. Other leagues do it better than the nfl. Just my opinion

And stashing players doesn’t work. You’ve made that point plenty of times. The Foxboro flu never works

Does Bill seem to have an itchy IR trigger finger this year?

yeah, if hes "week to week" why not keep him on the roster? Is the open roster spot for the 53rd guy more valuable than Develin/Harry/Wynn?

Don’t care. Other leagues do it better than the nfl. Just my opinion

Baseball and hockey have minor leagues. The NBA has 10 day contracts. Neither of those approaches is going to work in the NFL anytime soon.

Baseball and hockey have minor leagues. The NBA has 10 day contracts. Neither of those approaches is going to work in the NFL anytime soon.
Fair enough. I just think there has to be something better

Lots can happen between now and mid season that could impact the decision. But Wynn and Develin are frontline players. Harry is not.

Fair enough. I just think there has to be something better

Well, they've made modifications. What was once a guaranteed lost season now allows not one, but two, players to return. And the practice squad is, among other things an attempt to allow teams to establish a mini version of a feeder system. So, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that much can be done. Even if they allowed all IR'd players to return, people would still be complaining about the 8 week minimum. Then, if they cut that to 7, people would complain about that. And so on....

I did once have the idea of changing from the IR style to a system with a league doctor reviewing the medicals and clearing players as being actually injured and honestly evaluated, as a way of estimating accuracy of claimed game loss by teams, and then a second review about bringing them back when the players felt they were ready. But that could get unwieldy in a hurry.

right

If the team was planning to bring back Harry and Wynn, then they COULD have kept Develin as inactive until he was ready to play.

I suspect that team knows that one of the three won't be ready to come back this season.

Develin was worth keeping a roster spot for.

We lose Gronk, Allen and now Devlin no wonder our running game sucks.

Folks want more IR players coming back. I disagree. This rule puts a premium on managing the roster and making good decisions. If there were unlimited folks coming back, then this advantage that the patriots have would be reduced.

right

If the team was planning to bring back Harry and Wynn, then they COULD have kept Develin as inactive until he was ready to play.

I suspect that team knows that one of the three won't be ready to come back this season.

They are definitely preparing to go to war without one of them.

My bet is Develin.

Lots can happen between now and mid season that could impact the decision. But Wynn and Develin are frontline players. Harry is not.
Exactly.

This is a redshirt year for Harry.

Unless we lose JE or Josh Harry can stay home and play video games

We lose Gronk, Allen and now Devlin no wonder our running game sucks.

Pretty sure a bunch of were concerned with not having Gronk in the running game over the summer. Some of the experts around here were not. I just kept hearing "we'll just shift to a 3 WR offense!"

Last edited:
The IR rules are partly designed to prevent player stashing. Your way would, obviously, not do that.

Requiring a player to be on the original 53 takes away the stashing element of the IR. The real reason for the rules preventing all players from returning from it actually is a player’s initiative. It creates rest of season jobs for players rather than just temporary ones until the IR’d player got healthy.

The NFL has it’s practice squad. I’d do away with in season IR returns all together if teams were allowed to activate to the 46 man game day roster, with limits, players from the PS without having to clear a roster spot on the 53 for them and without them being subject to waivers afterwards.

Of course, the NFLPA would rather have players on IR drawing their full salary in addition to the 53 man roster.

Monday we get Watson back.

This is and has been an underrated event especially with Develin to IR. Yes, BW is long in the tooth but with a shortened season to play and the fact he carries the equivalent of the duke nukem mighty boot from all the Androgens, he just may play a more key role than people realize. I'm hoping so, a good TE who can catch and block would be sweet.

At 38 can he still block?

We're gonna find out soon enough. I'd be surprised, however, if his blocking isn't at least decent. Say what you want about Watson but his determination isn't lacking. Let's hope his experience can offset any area he may be waning.

which 2 players should come back? I say Harry and Develin. it is a tough decision. I remember when we thought Malcom Mitchell would come back but it didnt pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes