PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jalen Ramsey

I’d maybe trade a 2023 4th and a 2024 3rd to take on that 17 million dollar cap hit. Especially with 4-5 solid free agent options out there.

Florio surmises Ramsey would want his contract redone and enriched to lower his cap hit to accommodate the trade. No thanks. Ramsey is no more of a shutdown CB than JC Jackson.

Personally I’d rather re-sign Jonathan Jones and possibly go after a Bradberry, Peters or Sutton. Honestly, although older, would rather look into Patrick Peterson. Played pretty solid last year.

P. Peterson and J. Jones on the outside.
M. Jones in the slot
J. Jones (assuming he’s out of BBs doghouse) provides depth and starting possibility.

Draft a corner in 3rd/4th round

J. Mills to S

Florio surmises Ramsey would want his contract redone and enriched to lower his cap hit to accommodate the trade. No thanks. Ramsey is no more of a shutdown CB than JC Jackson.
Hm... Yeah, that's tough. He's only 29 still, and doing an extension to lower his 2023 cap hit sounds nice, but it does set the stage for him to be "cranky" again in 2 or 3 years when he knows he's at the end of his NFL shelf life and wants one more big deal and wants to be traded yet again to get it.

You could structure your extension the same way the Rams seemed to have structured the last one they did for him - big salaries on the back end that are not guaranteed. That way, if he does seek a trade in 2-3 years (or falls off) you can move on from him easily. Give him a chunk signing bonus to spread over the course of the next 4 or 5 seasons. Then if he has to be moved mid-deal you're only dealing with a couple years of proration of that bonus and no salary which is close to what the Rams are doing now.

I’d maybe trade a 2023 4th and a 2024 3rd to take on that 17 million dollar cap hit. Especially with 4-5 solid free agent options out there.

I was thinking just what Ken suggested, rework his contract, add a couple of years and spread the cap hit. But also structure it so the last two years are easy to walk away from. I think he’s probably got three to five good years left, expecting some decline towards the end of that, so for the right money I’d think he’s an upgrade. Then get another rookie or two to develop behind him. I’d expect the secondary to be a real strength with the right moves. I think Ramsey is better than JC, maybe not good as Revis but good enough to make opponents look elsewhere first. Definitely good enough to upgrade our overall D.

Hm... Yeah, that's tough. He's only 29 still, and doing an extension to lower his 2023 cap hit sounds nice, but it does set the stage for him to be "cranky" again in 2 or 3 years when he knows he's at the end of his NFL shelf life and wants one more big deal and wants to be traded yet again to get it.

You could structure your extension the same way the Rams seemed to have structured the last one they did for him - big salaries on the back end that are not guaranteed. That way, if he does seek a trade in 2-3 years (or falls off) you can move on from him easily. Give him a chunk signing bonus to spread over the course of the next 4 or 5 seasons. Then if he has to be moved mid-deal you're only dealing with a couple years of proration of that bonus and no salary which is what the Rams are doing now.
Structure it so it won’t be very costly to let him go when he gets cranky in two to three years.

I was thinking just what Ken suggested, rework his contract, add a couple of years and spread the cap hit. But also structure it so the last two years are easy to walk away from. I think he’s probably got three to five good years left, expecting some decline towards the end of that, so for the right money I’d think he’s an upgrade. Then get another rookie or two to develop behind him. I’d expect the secondary to be a real strength with the right moves. I think Ramsey is better than JC, maybe not good as Revis but good enough to make opponents look elsewhere first. Definitely good enough to upgrade our overall D.
I think JC Jackson is due for a return to NE in 2024 personally.

Interesting analysis. Still think he’d be a good acquisition, at the right price. But what’s that price?

Should the Patriots place a big bet on Jalen Ramsey?
Alex Barth should get some credit for putting this together. It really should end the debate right there with a RESOUNDING no!

Is he a good CB, sure. Is he still elite, probably not. Will he get better over the course of his VERY expensive contract? NO. There have been ZERO all pro CB's after the age of 30. So add to this the VERY mediocre season he had last year, the $18MM/yr you'd have to take on for 3 years (29,30,31), AND the draft capital, though I think you will find in the end that it will likely only take in the 3rd-5th rounder to get the deal done. , It still isn't worth it. ESPECIALLY when we have a good chance to draft a better long term CB solution in April.

Individually Jalen Ramsey makes us better, BUT at what cost elsewhere. Just say no.

Ramsey is best suited when he's mentally there and for a real contending team a CB away. However, he doesn't have a no trade clause. How did he and his Agent not have that in there?

Got to make a decision - its worth investigating... if you make a run at him, and land him, that's it... That's your free agency... i wouldn't hate the move but I'm not enamored with it, or with Ramsey as a player... He's very good but not great... Not a huge difference I suppose but just enough to make me question it...

Otherwise you use the available cap space to build quality depth, especially on the o-line and d-line which is the best use of resources and use the draft to build skill positions... Which is the best thing to do imo...

Last edited:
Use the money on a tackle.

While adding a talent such as Ramsey would be nice, I look back at him against the Bengals in the SB and really don't want him. He wasn't able to handle Chase.

I'd much rather add a Patrick Peterson for a year to hold down the outside while a top end rookie is brought on and gotten up to speed than have Ramsey here.
Personally I’d rather re-sign Jonathan Jones and possibly go after a Bradberry, Peters or Sutton. Honestly, although older, would rather look into Patrick Peterson. Played pretty solid last year.

M. Jones in the slot
J. Jones (assuming he’s out of BBs doghouse) provides depth and starting possibility.

J. Mills to S

Waiting until the 3rd/4th round would be a mistake unless they didn't add an OT in FA, which I think they will.
Grabbing someone like Witherspoon, Gonzalez, or Smith early on would go a long way to solidifying the CB position for the next 3 years. I don't believe you'll do that with a 3rd/4th round corner in this draft.

The Pats only have enough money, realistically, to sign 2 "big" free agents. They aren't going to be able to re-sign Jones, add Peterson AND add a starting caliber OT, which they need. There are 4 RTs who started most/all (94%+ snaps) the games for their teams who are Free Agents this year. (McGary. McGlinchey, Taylor, and Wylie). That doesn't include Cam Fleming, Jermaine Eluemumor, or Kelvin Beachum who put up at least 85% of the snaps for their respective teams.

Pass.

Trade for Tee Higgins.
That’s where your money needs to go.
Other side of the ball. Tee Higgins won’t stop any drives. Need to get better on both sides of the ball. Ramsey is one side, Higgins is the other.
Use the money on a tackle.
I’d rather spend on a good tackle instead of a #1 WR. Trying to take the top off the defense won’t work if the QB is fighting for his life from immediately after the snap. I’d rather have the best O line in the league and average receivers than the best receivers and an average O line, because I believe the O line will win more games. I think a superior O line will make Bourne, Parker, Jones, Henry, Smith, Mondre, and whoever else we have handling the ball look a lot better than folks on here think they are.

Expecting BB and BOB to fix the offense makes me look to improving the D. I think it’s really good already, but there are some departures to replace and maybe holes to fill. CB is the one I think would make the biggest difference. It’s also the position that recent track record makes me most optimistic about. Part of that is the development of homegrown talent, part is Bill‘s willingness to spend on the position (Revis and Gilmore). So, if not Ramsey then who?

M. Jones in the slot

J. Mills to S
i can’t keep up with all the Jones!

Tired of watching Buffalo light up defense through the air. Can’t stop the secondary receivers. Ramsey can cover 1’s at times. Could also double the 1’s and use him on the 2’s. Our secondary has talent, but not much depth. This however is a move a team thinking about truly contending makes. Is that NE?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back