PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jalen Ramsey

I think back to the 2017 preseason when the Saints had two #1 picks and Malcolm Butler had a contract in place with them as soon as the Pats worked out trade compensation for him. The Saints offered their 2nd round pick, the Pats insisted on the second of their two firsts.

The Saints didn’t fold, instead they kept the pick and drafted Marshon Lattimore instead. They had him on a four year rookie contract for peanuts. All he’s done since is win the DROY award and get voted to 4 Pro Bowls.

All Butler did was screw his teammates over by pouting over his contract, not preparing for the season, refusing to communicate with new free agent Stephon Gilmore and oh yeah… never playing at a high level again. The Titans regretted giving him that massive deal the Pats refused to give him.

Draft a bigger faster CB, draft two of them… we have plenty of shrimps. We don’t need some other team’s headache.

Florio surmises Ramsey would want his contract redone and enriched to lower his cap hit to accommodate the trade. No thanks. Ramsey is no more of a shutdown CB than JC Jackson.
I believe he's better than JC Jackson.. Ramsey is in bad scheme fit with the rams. He got traded there so don't believe he had a choice. He still is very much a lockdown corner. His situation is similar to revis in Tampa Bay some years ago.

JC could never step up against elite WR'S he never could even challenge Diggs. JC was a turnover machine for us as he had his best years opposite Steph Gilmore. I don't blame him for getting paid.. NFL careers are short lived..
Furthermore if it's attainable we should definitely be all in on Ramsey.. I don't think it will cost us a 1st round pick as the rams are the ones here with no leverage.. they have no draft capital and they want to start dumping contracts...

I think back to the 2017 preseason when the Saints had two #1 picks and Malcolm Butler had a contract in place with them as soon as the Pats worked out trade compensation for him. The Saints offered their 2nd round pick, the Pats insisted on the second of their two firsts.

The Saints didn’t fold, instead they kept the pick and drafted Marshon Lattimore instead. They had him on a four year rookie contract for peanuts. All he’s done since is win the DROY award and get voted to 4 Pro Bowls.

All Butler did was screw his teammates over by pouting over his contract, not preparing for the season, refusing to communicate with new free agent Stephon Gilmore and oh yeah… never playing at a high level again. The Titans regretted giving him that massive deal the Pats refused to give him.

Draft a bigger faster CB, draft two of them… we have plenty of shrimps. We don’t need some other team’s headache.
Great points, wich makes the Williams draft bust so frustrating... this guy is everything you would look for in a CB he's 6"3 ,rangy and has speed however he just can't cover for some reason..

Great points, wich makes the Williams draft bust so frustrating... this guy is everything you would look for in a CB he's 6"3 ,rangy and has speed however he just can't cover for some reason..
He was slow, 4.6 forty slow. When he was drafted I was sure they wanted him to play strong safety, but for some reason they refused to play him anywhere but CB. It won’t surprise me if some other team converts him to SS and he plays decent for them.

He was slow, 4.6 forty slow. When he was drafted I was sure they wanted him to play strong safety, but for some reason they refused to play him anywhere but CB. It won’t surprise me if some other team converts him to SS and he plays decent for them.
Oh ok well in that case his career can be salvaged playing in a rotation at safety.. we could always have depth at safety as we deploy sometimes 4 on the field at once.. he was a 2nd round pick right? 2019?

Personally I’d rather re-sign Jonathan Jones and possibly go after a Bradberry, Peters or Sutton. Honestly, although older, would rather look into Patrick Peterson. Played pretty solid last year.

P. Peterson and J. Jones on the outside.
M. Jones in the slot
J. Jones (assuming he’s out of BBs doghouse) provides depth and starting possibility.

Draft a corner in 3rd/4th round

J. Mills to S

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_163418_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_163418_Samsung Internet.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 12
The question of Ramsey comes down to cost...

the cost in draft picks
the cost of the new contract

Is he better than anyone we have? Yes. Better than anyone we've had for awhile.
Should we go after him? No. Too cost prohibitive.

the cost in draft picks

I agree!! I'll say though. I know the team is a business and they have a team to manage.

However I can see him being obtained for a 2nd rounder.. he's absolutely worth it.

If we can restructure his deal as BB is famous for doing essentially making it cost effective for the team.. at some point until we get back on top we are going to have to make some bold moves be offensive or defensive..

the cost in draft picks

As great at J.jones has been for us.. he ain't in that top 5 conversation lol

As great at J.jones has been for us.. he ain't in that top 5 conversation lol
Jonathan Jones? Top 5, no, he's not, but he is a good player, and has filled any role we've asked of him... the transition from slot to outside db can be difficult, but he managed it well... guy is a boot strapper, and he is the kind of guy we want to keep here...

However, he doesn't have a no trade clause. How did he and his Agent not have that in there?
My guess would be he desperately wanted out of Jacksonville

Jonathan Jones? Top 5, no, he's not, but he is a good player, and has filled any role we've asked of him... the transition from slot to outside db can be difficult, but he managed it well... guy is a boot strapper, and he is the kind of guy we want to keep here...
Agreed! I was just saying that as a plea for the need of a lockdown.. however your right J. Jones is a great player. He competes.. he's a team guy, has leadership abilities.. I've mentioned in the past I can see him back on a 2 yr deal.. CBs over 30 it's sometimes hard pressed to get long term commitments from teams..

My guess would be he desperately wanted out of Jacksonville
Was the other way around.. he started in-flight with the team as they were talented, but had no leaders.. he was trying to be a leader but got no support from team mates.. that Jax team was so talented defensively they gave offenses fits..

Was the other way around.. he started in-flight with the team as they were talented, but had no leaders.. he was trying to be a leader but got no support from team mates.. that Jax team was so talented defensively they gave offenses fits..
hmmm... All I meant was he didn't include a no trade clause in his rams deal because he wanted out of jacksonville so much do he skipped the no trade clause to make the deal easier

hmmm... All I meant was he didn't include a no trade clause in his rams deal because he wanted out of jacksonville so much do he skipped the no trade clause to make the deal easier
Yes I got what you meant.. I was answering your other post on how we obtain him..

Agreed! I was just saying that as a plea for the need of a lockdown.. however your right J. Jones is a great player. He competes.. he's a team guy, has leadership abilities.. I've mentioned in the past I can see him back on a 2 yr deal.. CBs over 30 it's sometimes hard pressed to get long term commitments from teams..
2 year deal? I don't think he would sign it

2 year deal? I don't think he would sign it
Well he's been here his whole career, undrafted worked hard to become a starter.. I personally rather him in the slot if he resigned.. but a 2 year deal is reasonable typically over age 30 corners decline...

BB will never trade for a player, serious draft capital, then give him the highest contract at his position.

It's terrible business, because you end up paying twice for the same player.

Won't happen, has never happened, so forget about it.

BB will never trade for a player, serious draft capital, then give him the highest contract at his position.

It's terrible business, because you end up paying twice for the same player.

Won't happen, has never happened, so forget about it.
While that may be true.. however that's past patriots teams.. you have to remember this is the post brady era.

One way or another RK is going to have to pay.. all rebuilding teams go through it.. we are no different.. it was easier for BB to do business that way as we had the ultimate equalizer in the GOAT..

We need a game changer, that player needs to be in this roster one way or another..

While that may be true.. however that's past patriots teams.. you have to remember this is the post brady era.

One way or another RK is going to have to pay.. all rebuilding teams go through it.. we are no different.. it was easier for BB to do business that way as we had the ultimate equalizer in the GOAT..

We need a game changer, that player needs to be in this roster one way or another..
The post Brady era is absolutely no different than the pre-Brady era. The first thing BB and Pioli did when they arrived in New England was change the way the team did business. They spread the wealth across the entire 53 man roster and stopped with a few bloated deals at the top of the team and meager spending at the middle and bottom. This is why Brady has six rings on his fingers from New England as much as him taking less money from 2014 on.

They're not going to trade major assets for a player who wants a new deal, who wants to be the highest paid player in the league at his respective position. If he were a free agent possibly they would pay him a massive deal (see Gilmore), but they won't pay twice by trading for him and shouldn't. It's what dumb teams do.

They got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and his guaranteed money was mostly paid off... that's the type of trade you should be looking for. DeAndre Hopkins would be a reasonable modern day equivalent if the Cards would move him for a reasonable pick, they already paid off most of his guaranteed money. So now the team that acquires him is only paying his salary, and it wouldn't be an expensive cap hit if he fell off and they had to cut him outright.

The reason the Rams are screwed is they ran up their cap debt and traded away all their draft assets. The Pats at the end of Brady's run ran up cap debt, but they hoarded their picks and traded out for down the road. It was smart, they're not going to start doing dumb things now.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back