PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers a good bet to lead the team in targets, receptions, and yards

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
[Week8 Update: 45 catches for 427 yards. Seems his route depth has accomodated for others as he was a consistent 12-13 yards per catch guy, now getting 9. Still no receiving TDs but has three 2-pt conversions which is like scoring a TD]
------

Meyers was a 1000 yard receiver in 2020 if he played enough games. This kid's tape is solid. All he does is run great routes, get open, and have great hands (albeit not great YAC). Give him enough snaps and targets and this kid is the next great Patriot WR.

"...But generally, as the slot goes, so goes the Patriots fortunes...And even post-Brady, we saw last season how vital the slot remains. Because following in the choppy footsteps of Brown, Welker, and Edelman, it came clear by the end of the year that Jakobi Meyers is the Patriots next slot up.

After seeing just one target in the first five games (Meyers was buried behind Edelman, Damiere Byrd and N’Keal Harry on the depth chart) Meyers amassed 59 catches for 729 yards over the final 11 games. That’s an average of 5.3 catches and 65.6 yards per game. Over a 16-game season it’s 90 catches for 1,049.6 yards.

It’s a pretty remarkable accomplishment and it’s a huge reason why – even though the team went on a buying spree for pass catchers in free agency – Meyers would still be a reasonable bet to lead the team in targets, catches and yards."

nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jakobi-meyers-fitting-nicely-patriots-slot-receiver-succession-plan?b

Last edited:
I think Aghalor leads the team for WR’s. But I see a good year for Myers as well.

I think Aghalor leads the team for WR’s. But I see a good year for Myers as well.

I think Agholor is the other starting receiver and leads the team in yards per catch, due to his speed. Possibly could lead in total yards if he has a good year. He does have a history of bad hands. All depends on whether he can catch balls that hit his hands this year. A lot of targets will also flow to Meyers and the tight ends.

Meyers reminds me a little of Jerry Rice. Great hands (without the stickum) and great routes. This season he'll be playing with a much more capable offense and should see more targets. It should be a good year for Meyers.

Meyers reminds me a little of Jerry Rice. Great hands (without the stickum) and great routes. This season he'll be playing with a much more capable offense and should see more targets. It should be a good year for Meyers.

Nice. I like it even acknowledging one is the goat receiver and the other is a young guy still trying to solidify his spot. Jerry Rice was an excellent fundamental player who didn't run a fast40 and came from a tiny school, but he blew Bill Walsh away with his route running and hands. Also had breakeaway speed and elite acceleration after the catch. Rice used to run with horses and also catch bricks as a construction worker.
What's great about Jacobi is he built himself into a good WR from scratch. Watched a lot of Keenan Allen route running. A lot of random skills as a former baseball shortstop and college QB as well.

As our TE's have gotten so much better, the receivers will in all likelihood have more opportunities..

The lingering question is no matter who the receivers are, can a QB get the ball to them???

I've been in Meyers' corner the whole time. When we signed Agholor and Bourne, I got into numerous arguments with people who thought there was no way Meyers would be higher than #3 on the depth chart.

I still think Agholor is the #1, but Meyers might get more volume. Meyers is a good WR in the NFL, no qualifiers to that statement. He would have hit 1000 yards if the staff knew what they had in him before the season started, and he did it against mostly the best opposing corners (because who else would have drawn that coverage?).

Maybe Bourne is good enough to at least share a role with Meyers, but I see the competition as Bourne needing to prove he's better than Meyers and not the other way around.

QBs are a nearly perfect 23/23 targeting Meyers in team drills. That’s crazy.

Some of that is Meyers being the most experienced receiver in camp (which in itself sounds kind of bonkers). But I also think he's going to have a breakout season. Improved from year 1 to year 2, even with worse QB play and very limited offseason. If he stays healthy, and there's the expected amount of minor injuries amongst the tight ends, he's going to be that dependable mainstay that always racks up catches in this system.

As long as Cant is the QB, Agholor won't be much more than a very, Very expensive decoy who also won't be much more productive than Damiere Byrd was last season.

It is a good bet that he will lead in targets/receptions/yards because:

1.) Agholor is the deep guy obviously.

2.) I think Bourne is our slot guy and the "#3"...meaning he will come off the field when we go with 12 personnel.

3.) The two TE's will split their targets/receptions/yards....and also Jonnu Smith might line up in the backfield too.

4.) Meyers will be on the field more than anyone on offense outside of the QB/OL/Agholor.

So...more snaps = more targets + Meyer's good hands + better QB play = more receptions = more yards.

It is a good bet that he will lead in targets/receptions/yards because:

1.) Agholor is the deep guy obviously.

2.) I think Bourne is our slot guy and the "#3"...meaning he will come off the field when we go with 12 personnel.

3.) The two TE's will split their targets/receptions/yards....and also Jonnu Smith might line up in the backfield too.

4.) Meyers will be on the field more than anyone on offense outside of the QB/OL/Agholor.

So...more snaps = more targets + Meyer's good hands + better QB play = more receptions = more yards.

Agree. Anytime they take one of the two TEs off the field, Bourne is probably first in. This also tells me there is really no room/space on the field for any sort of fullback guy on most plays. It's a waste given you'd have to leave a pretty good WR or TE off the field to do that.

I wouldn't doubt it. Meyers is my favorite WR on the team, I'm pulling for him.

Given what we just spent in FA on WR and TEs, that would be a travesty if Meyers is leading the team in the major receiving categories.

I have to be honest... if JM plays like JR this year, I will not be disappointed.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back