PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers a good bet to lead the team in targets, receptions, and yards

Given what we just spent in FA on WR and TEs, that would be a travesty if Meyers is leading the team in the major receiving categories.

I dunno. I think it's worse if they keep forcing it to a player just because someone internally vouched to burn a ton of money, or some other non-football reasons? Pats have always been about best player, not who has the biggest contract.

6th round Brady over Bledsoe.
7th round Edelman over multiple guys.
Undrafted Malcolm Butler and JC Jackson over multiple guys.
Undrafted Jacobi Meyers over NKeal Harry.

Meyers shouldn't get less targets just because the OC or his front office buddy don't want to look bad for whiffing on talent eval for 7 years straight.

I think Agholor is the other starting receiver and leads the team in yards per catch, due to his speed. Possibly could lead in total yards if he has a good year. He does have a history of bad hands. All depends on whether he can catch balls that hit his hands this year. A lot of targets will also flow to Meyers and the tight ends.

If it's Cam, he will not be getting balls hitting his hands.

I can't wait for the documentary "The Meyer's Sixty

Love it, this is so great . Jacobi is totally next up in terms of really good Patriot who became self-made.

Reminds me too of Edelman, I love how the Pats have a long line of low pick or undrafted guys who end up being great . It's all about how you finish not where you start.

I want Meyers to continue his improvement with the Pats. He seems like a good guy, carrying about his fellow teammates. Look what he said about N'keal Harry in defense of Harry.

You go Jakobi

I declared Meyers would be the #1 WR (in production) back in March when everyone was raving about Agholor and Bourne.
I still think those guys will be really good compliments - and technically, we don't have a #1WR - in the traditional sense.
I think those 3 will serve well in their roles and provide a true Patriot corp of WR's, along with Gunner and maybe even Harry.
But I believe Meyers will lead in receptions and yards. TD's will be spread around though, Smith might lead there.

Given what we just spent in FA on WR and TEs, that would be a travesty if Meyers is leading the team in the major receiving categories.

I agree with the sentiment...But Agholor is simply not going to be a high-number-of-catches guy here; Henry & Smith will more-or-less split targets/receptions; and Bourne is...well I don't know what he is exactly...He's being paid more than I would've offered him that's for sure...

I dunno. I think it's worse if they keep forcing it to a player just because someone internally vouched to burn a ton of money, or some other non-football reasons? Pats have always been about best player, not who has the biggest contract.

6th round Brady over Bledsoe.
7th round Edelman over multiple guys.
Undrafted Malcolm Butler and JC Jackson over multiple guys.
Undrafted Jacobi Meyers over NKeal Harry.

Kevin Hart Ok GIF by NBA

Meyers shouldn't get less targets just because the OC or his front office buddy don't want to look bad for whiffing on talent eval for 7 years straight.

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

This guy buttering up my guy... (any great Pats slot receivers before TBrown? I only have faint memories of Fryar and Glenn - Morgan was already in decline when I first started watching - but didn't think they were slot.)

---------
At the very least, Meyers projects as the Patriots’ top slot option. Assistant receivers coach Troy Brown — the first dominant slot of the Brady/Bill Belichick era — recently said Meyers has been able to find success in that spot by closely studying Edelman, who retired with the second-most receptions in franchise history.

Meyers, who at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds is taller and heavier than most Patriots slot receivers, said Edelman isn’t his only inspiration.

“I think Troy might’ve sold himself short there,” Meyers said Tuesday. “We all got it from Troy Brown, honestly. He’s the originator of the little inside route game. The Patriots inside route game, a lot of that is credited to Troy. Yeah, I do watch Jules, but Jules probably watched Troy. Or he watched Wes (Welker). It’s been a long line of slot guys.

“Honestly, if you want the answers, all you’ve gotta do is just look before you. There’s Hall of Famers before me. Just pay attention to them guys, and they give me everything I need.”

Meyers made an incredible catch that the refs got wrong . I think this kid is going to make the leap. If he gets 6 targets every single game he may go to the pro bowl as his hands and route running are so good....

Meyers made an incredible catch that the refs got wrong . I think this kid is going to make the leap. If he gets 6 targets every single game he may go to the pro bowl as his hands and route running are so good....
Belichick got it wrong for NOT challenging. Jeezus krist WTF do you think the red flag is for?

Belichick got it wrong for NOT challenging. Jeezus krist WTF do you think the red flag is for?

I brought up this point in the post game thread, but I think he used it as a test/teaching moment for Mac. Hey kid, they just blew a call. Now instead of 1st and 10, it's 3rd and 5. Are you gonna mope about the blown call, or go out there and convert it anyway? Small scale test for the kid (which he passed).

I agree with the sentiment...But Agholor is simply not going to be a high-number-of-catches guy here; Henry & Smith will more-or-less split targets/receptions; and Bourne is...well I don't know what he is exactly...He's being paid more than I would've offered him that's for sure...
3/15 for Bourne is a good deal. He's not a number 1, but you only have one of those and they cost a helluva lot more than that.

If it makes you feel better, BB can just pay Meyers twice what he just paid Agholor and Bourne.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back