PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Jake Andrews - Round 4 - 107th Overall

I don’t think this pick was necessary at the time. Kody Russey who has played center for years isn’t going to be beaten easily as backup.

This will be the keenest competition perhaps in training camp, aside from seeing Boutte possibly earn a roster spot.
Russey couldn't beat out Ferentz, so now you think that he'll beat out Andrews? IMO, if Andrews isn't ready to backup this year, Ferentz will make the squad yet again (or be on the PS for a couple of weeks and then be on the 53).

I AGREE with you that if they though that Russey was a solid backup and a starter if Andrews cannot play, then they would NOT have drafted Andrews.

Good points. We’ll never know. But TB last played really well at LT in 2018. When the Raiders acquired him the following year year after his dominance they moved him to RT.

That’s where he belongs today.

Tom Cable, the Raiders OL coach at the time, made the call. IMO he’s the second best such position coach after the Eagles’ Jeff Stoutland, who is clearly the new Dante.
The Raiders had the luxury to move Brown to RT because they had stud 1st round draft pick Kolton Miller at LT already. That line had Pro Bowl caliber players at all five starting positions, if healthy it was one of the best lines in the league.

For a guy who can play left and right equally well, there is no difference what side he plays on. Brown has shown, when properly motivated, he can play at a dominating Pro Bowl level.

He’ll be thirty years old and in the final year of his contract. He’ll want one more massive payday if he can score one, the motivation is already baked into his situation.

Russey couldn't beat out Ferentz, so now you think that he'll beat out Andrews? IMO, if Andrews isn't ready to backup this year, Ferentz will make the squad yet again (or be on the PS for a couple of weeks and then be on the 53).

I AGREE with you that if they though that Russey was a solid backup and a starter if Andrews cannot play, then they would NOT have drafted Andrews.
Russey was a rookie, these guys aren’t tightening lug nuts for a living. The starting center has to make make decisions and line calls. There are duties beyond the physical job, Ferentz was experienced.

I think it says more that the Patriots kept an UDFA like Russey on the active roster rather than expose him to the practice squad again. They took Jake Andrews because there will be a need to replace both David Andrews and Ferentz, they’re both old.

They needed both a starting center and a swing man who could play center and guard. Camp competition and health will determine the depth chart at center, draft position stops mattering the moment you enter the league.

In all honesty, NFL Hall of Famer Mike Webster couldn’t have beat out Ferentz. Ferentz is destined to be the longest tenured Patriotnof all time…unless BB retires. Then we’re probably having a joint BB retirement/Ferentz going away party the same day.

Do you have a quote for that? I honestly cannot remember the Cap'n ever outright liking a BB draft pick. Only his silence was assent.

Both Gonzo & White were the best available players regardless of position at the time of their picks; no problem whatsoever with either of them there.

Last edited:

I wasn’t opposed to drafting a C/G; I was opposed firstly to drafting one ahead of a LT, and secondly to drafting THIS guy ahead of UCLA’s Jon Gaines, Michigan’s Olu Olu or ND’s Jarrett Patterson.

I wasn’t opposed to drafting a C/G; I was opposed firstly to drafting one ahead of a LT, and secondly to drafting THIS guy ahead of UCLA’s Jon Gaines, Michigan’s Olu Olu or ND’s Jarrett Patterson.
You realize they have draft picks next year as well right?

I didn't realize he lost his job and was cut. What was your film grade of him?
Gotta pay me.
Kolton Miller at LT
Physically a lot like Freeland from BYU. Just more polished. But a rookie who had rookie pains his first year.

This year we were more interested in a third defensive player, a reach, at 76. We don’t know, none of us, who the LT is going to be.

The Blindside, like in the movie. Second most important position on the team after QB.

Belichick and the scouting department disagree with you. So the Hive Mind tells me to scorn you and your views.

It doesn’t matter that they can be wrong. You deviate!

The OTs Captain **** suggested drafting have no idea how lucky they are..
Your statement is nonsensical and your intemperament language makes me less guilty for calling DaBruinz “jesuitical” and a “bacon fed knave.”

Russey couldn't beat out Ferentz
Not necessarily. Belichick went with the dog he’s comfortable with over the undersized rookie. Turns out Thanksdad’s play against Quinnen Williams was interesting. Why was he wearing ice skates to a football game?

Gotta pay me.

Physically a lot like Freeland from BYU. Just more polished. But a rookie who had rookie pains his first year.

This year we were more interested in a third defensive player, a reach, at 76. We don’t know, none of us, who the LT is going to be.

The Blindside, like in the movie. Second most important position on the team after QB.
Offensive tackle, especially left tackle is becoming a less of a premium position in today's game. Being able to block inside, stop the bullrush and being good all around is more important, pass rush is coming from everywhere nowadays.

Trent Brown has been a Pro Bowler, if a player can do it once he can do it again... or come close to that level of competence.

Sidy Sow could also end up being as good as any OT they drafted in the 4th round. Why are people just dismissing him sight unseen?

Last edited:
D. Andrews probably won’t be with the team in 2024. It made sense to draft J. Andrews to duke it out with Russey for the starting job.

Belichick and the scouting department disagree with you. So the Hive Mind tells me to scorn you and your views.

It doesn’t matter that they can be wrong. You deviate!

What I wonder is: Did Billy & the scouting department agree with each other?

Offensive tackle, especially left tackle is becoming a less of a premium position in today's game.
Yes, I think you may be in to something. But Mac Jones, our presumed starting QB, is a throw back. Not mobile. Really bothered by pressure, esp from the blindside.

He lacks Brady’s brilliant and under appreciated ability to step away from pressure, except when it came up the gut.

Zappe is better at scrambling. But that ain’t saying much. Mac Jones might as well be Joe Theisman. I hope without the leg break.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back