PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Jake Andrews - Round 4 - 107th Overall

BTW, I’m really warming to this Jake Andrews. Alabama state champion wrestler. Gotta be tough as nails.

Yes, I think you may be in to something. But Mac Jones, our presumed starting QB, is a throw back. Not mobile. Really bothered by pressure, esp from the blindside.

He lacks Brady’s brilliant and under appreciated ability to step away from pressure, except when it came up the gut.

Zappe is better at scrambling. But that ain’t saying much. Mac Jones might as well be Joe Theisman. I hope without the leg break.
I think it’s less about scrambling and more about evolving defenses. It’s become such a pass heavy league, defenses are geared up to stop the pass and create pressure.

Run stuffing NT’s are going extinct or being replaced by pass rushing DT’s. Pressure comes from all sides now, but pressure up the middle is at a premium. I don’t think tackles are unnecessary, just rejoining the rest of the OL pack in terms of importance. Being able to block in the middle and get the ball out quick, control the middle of the field matters more now.

I love our O-Line assuming they’re healthy and the rookies come as advertised.

I think it’s less about scrambling and more about evolving defenses. It’s become such a pass heavy league, defenses are geared up to stop the pass and create pressure.
How does this help us thinking that Mac is better compared to so many other QB's? Aren't you just telling us how limited Mac is as n effective QB in today's game.

How does this help us thinking that Mac is better compared to so many other QB's? Aren't you just telling us how limited Mac is as n effective QB in today's game.
Nobody knows what Mac Jones will evolve into... nobody.

That being said his final season at Alabama ranks #1 all-time in college football history in completion percentage, #2 all-time in QB Rating, 7th all-time in yards per attempt, both his 4500 yards and 41 TD's top 50 all-time in college football history.

His 68% completions his rookie season ranked 8th best in the NFL, TD percentage was a respectable 14th best and 15th best QB Rating.

This is what I wrote about Mac Jones after the week three loss to the Ravens last season when someone told me Mac sucked:

"Mac Jones was ranked 11th in passing yards entering this week... he was ranked 24th in pass attempts. The offense is ranked 5th in passing yards per attempt and is ranked 9th best on 3rd down percentage. For those unaware, that is really good (deep ball) passing efficiency, in totality they're ranked 8th best in offensive yards per play. Outside of a couple mistakes a game (interceptions, fumbles) they're a top ten offense in terms of yards and explosiveness. Not a single one of his interceptions was the result of a weak arm... not one. They were the result of a bad decision." - Wozzy Oct 1, 2022

I said Mac Jones was talented enough to be a top passer in the NFL, in fact I said he was, because he was… outside of 2-3 passes a game.

I don’t think the Pats have one great QB prospect, I think they have two. Now it’s a race to see who can be better sooner.

Mac and Zappe both have the skillset to be very good to great passers in the NFL... the tools are there.

Nobody knows what Mac Jones will evolve into... nobody.

That being said his final season at Alabama ranks #1 all-time in college football history in completion percentage, #2 all-time in QB Rating, 7th all-time in yards per attempt, both his 4500 yards and 41 TD's top 50 all-time in college football history.

His 68% completions his rookie season ranked 8th best in the NFL, TD percentage was a respectable 14th best and 15th best QB Rating.

This is what I wrote about Mac Jones after the week three loss to the Ravens last season when someone told me Mac sucked:

"Mac Jones was ranked 11th in passing yards entering this week... he was ranked 24th in pass attempts. The offense is ranked 5th in passing yards per attempt and is ranked 9th best on 3rd down percentage. For those unaware, that is really good (deep ball) passing efficiency, in totality they're ranked 8th best in offensive yards per play. Outside of a couple mistakes a game (interceptions, fumbles) they're a top ten offense in terms of yards and explosiveness. Not a single one of his interceptions was the result of a weak arm... not one. They were the result of a bad decision." - Wozzy Oct 1, 2022

I said Mac Jones was talented enough to be a top passer in the NFL, in fact I said he was, because he was… outside of 2-3 passes a game.

I don’t think the Pats have one great QB prospect, I think they have two. Now it’s a race to see who can be better sooner.

Mac and Zappe both have the skillset to be very good to great passers in the NFL... the tools are there.
Believe what you will. When in your 3rd year, it is not college stats that are important.

How many GM's of the top 10 QB's in the NFL would trade their QB for Jones straight up? The answer is NONE.

Does Mac have potential? sure! Does the last pick of the 2022 Draft have at least as much? Probably.

What I'm hoping for, but not expecting it to happen immediately, is that Jones re-learns the pocket awareness that he showed in his last Alabama season and his rookie season. Having a stronger OL with an up and coming coach (Klemm) should help that process. If that's coached well, the receiver group should become stronger as I expect Coach Brown to work diligently with our new OC to stress the idea of getting their routes synced with the QBs preferred target areas. I believe BB targeted ST to emphasize the mistakes we made last year, both kicking and receiving. Its a point of emphasis for him, and he knows other teams fail at it. Nothing wrong with making it a strength for the short term.

Being able to block in the middle and get the ball out quick
Yes. It sure helps to have that pass-catching third down back, though. That is yet to be determined. Haven’t gotten one or developed one since James White. And that goes back to Sept 2021.

Believe what you will. When in your 3rd year, it is not college stats that are important.
I posted the last three years of his life, including two years in the pros.
How many GM's of the top 10 QB's in the NFL would trade their QB for Jones straight up? The answer is NONE.
Why would a GM with a top QB trade him?

Josh Allen was considered an unequivocal "bust" his first two years.

Multiple other greats like Brady, Mahomes, Rogers sat their rookie season, got stronger, studied and learned.
Does Mac have potential? sure! Does the last pick of the 2022 Draft have at least as much? Probably.
Who... Purdy?

If Purdy didn't get hurt the 49ers probably would have won the entire thing. Not sure that proves your point.

Yes. It sure helps to have that pass-catching third down back, though. That is yet to be determined. Haven’t gotten one or developed one since James White. And that goes back to Sept 2021.
Yeah, but Rhamondre has shown the ability to play all three downs. White also suffered a hip injury that ended his career immediately, it's not like they had a lot of time to prepare for his departure.

Pierre Strong or Ty Montgomery can provide some change of pace usage. Kevin Harris and James Robinson can provide some back up snaps as that workhorse back. They have some good talent there, the may add another vet deepening on health and camp cutdowns on other teams.

That’s probably why Mafi was drafted. These undersized Calijah Kanceys so in vogue on defensive lines can get blown off the LOS.
He's very similar to Onwenu if film and size are any indicator.

This is the biggest thing that will help Mac. He almost never looks to the flat. I've started thinking that he actually lacks peripheral vision because he never sees the back leaking out. UNLESS the play is designed as a screen or a pass to Rham. You can see the blocking developing for such a play as the guards pull and the tackles edge out. Otherwise, if it's a vanilla pass blocking scheme and Mac goes through one or two progressions, he'll force it downfield rather than get it to the back all alone.

Worse, he'll see a back directly in front of him, and instead of taking the dump pass with a potential for big YAC, he'll hesitate and wait a second, then throw to the back for a minimal gain. 12 yards becomes 3 or 4 yards as the defenders close down.

D. Andrews probably won’t be with the team in 2024. It made sense to draft J. Andrews to duke it out with Russey for the starting job.

It made No Sense Whatsoever to draft him at #107, however.
Notre Dame's Jarrett Patterson, a Far Superior player, wasn't taken until after #192.

Yeah, but Rhamondre has shown the ability to play all three downs. White also suffered a hip injury that ended his career immediately, it's not like they had a lot of time to prepare for his departure.

Pierre Strong or Ty Montgomery can provide some change of pace usage. Kevin Harris and James Robinson can provide some back up snaps as that workhorse back. They have some good talent there, the may add another vet deepening on health and camp cutdowns on other teams.

Ty Monty's finished in the NFL, as we'll all learn in 3-4 months.

Last edited:
That’s probably why Mafi was drafted. These undersized Calijah Kanceys so in vogue on defensive lines can get blown off the LOS.

Fat Tony needs to go on a one-year, practice squad-residing, NFL weight-loss & conditioning program before he ever should be allowed to see the field at the same time as our starting QB, whoever it is then.

The ONLY position this dude can play in this league is Right Guard; but that seat's already taken here.... AND we also have Chasin''Hinds as Onwenu's backup who has the advantage of Center experience earlier in his college career.

No ****ing need Whatsoever to use that pick on that player, Especially when considering that they had already drafted TWO OTHER C/Gs before him.

Last edited:
BTW, I’m really warming to this Jake Andrews. Alabama state champion wrestler. Gotta be tough as nails.

I would've warmed-up to him, a little, maybe, if he were taken at 192... And even then I still would've preferred Patterson.

I would've warmed-up to him, a little, maybe, if he were taken at 192... And even then I still would've preferred Patterson.
NFL Network's scout/analyst said he spoke to several teams who were planning on taking him in the early 5th round. Said it on air right after he was chosen.

NFL Network's scout/analyst said he spoke to several teams who were planning on taking him in the early 5th round. Said it on air right after he was chosen.

This has been mentioned Several times but the haters don't care. They only care what their preferred Draft site says because, you know, that's "Gospel" and anything against that is just wrong..

Ty Monty's finished in the NFL, as we'll all learn in 3-4 months.
You’re the prophet of doom, everything is awful as far as New England is concerned… I’m sure you love the Cardinals players though.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back