PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Jake Andrews - Round 4 - 107th Overall

Jake Andrews Brings Another Layer of Grit and Depth to the Interior Offensive Line

Lazar's has a really good article on Andrews that supports this. He discusses Jim Nagy (ex patriots scout now senior bowl director) explaining there was love for Andrews in the scouting process, and lots of senior scouting personnel were sniffing around. Sounds like he probably wouldn't have been available much later despite nfl.com suggesting R6, and Pats knew this and took no chances with their first R4 pick of three.

Lazar uses vocab like gritty, wrestler, enforcer, leader, primary communicator, QB of the OL, did well at the senior bowl, then the Popovich recommendation. 37 college starts, can single up on NTs. Sounds like a Patriot center, and they are confident from Pop he is a cultural fit.

He'll sit and learn from David Andrews for two years then hopefully start in 2025 and continue to do so for the best part of a decade.

In terms of OT instead, Blake Freeland went the pick before (who may have been the Left Tackle target) and Dawand Jones with the weigh in refusal, senior bowl/pro day rumours and commitment to football questions may not even have been on the board. Considering Sow was preferred to Warren it seems he wasn't high on the board either, and Duncan fell to the 6th. There were some slightly higher rated centers on draft sites, but Andrews was undoubtedly the Patriots target and they went after him in R4.

Im sure some others drafted lower will have successful careers and we can say they were a better pick looking back, but Andrews seems like a pretty safe pick and will likely seem decent value looking back in 10 years.

Jake Andrews Brings Another Layer of Grit and Depth to the Interior Offensive Line

Lazar's has a really good article on Andrews that supports this. He discusses Jim Nagy (ex patriots scout now senior bowl director) explaining there was love for Andrews in the scouting process, and lots of senior scouting personnel were sniffing around. Sounds like he probably wouldn't have been available much later despite nfl.com suggesting R6, and Pats knew this and took no chances with their first R4 pick of three.
Media pre-draft player rankings are as worthless as a wet fart in a brown paper bag on a rainy day.

They don't know anything, most do zero research and simply borrow from Kiper and the rest who are dedicated to the draft... like many casual fans here who moan about draft value. They're probably nice people in the real world, but total idiots when it comes to understanding that a good pro franchise's big board doesn't include all 1000+ players who enter their name into the draft hat like Kiper's board does.

You’re the prophet of doom, everything is awful as far as New England is concerned… I’m sure you love the Cardinals players though.

Cheerleader.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF
There were plenty of people who mentioned it during the draft thread. I heard them say it as well and I've mentioned it a couple of times already.

It shouldn't have taken the 107th overall pick to send Thanksdad packing.

Completely agree. But whether it was the 107th or higher, you still should be happy. Be happy. ;)

Pierre Strong or Ty Montgomery can provide some change of pace usage. Kevin Harris and James Robinson can provide some back up snaps as that workhorse back. They have some good talent there, the may add another vet deepening on health and camp cutdowns on other teams.
This and the health of our starting tackles will dictate how successful the season is.

We can win six games or 12. Our defense should be outstanding. Can Mac be given a clean pocket to work in?

Is Ty Montgomery done? Right now he looks really good at least as a workout warrior as he has diligently rehabbed from injury. Take notes, Jack Jones.

Who will the third down back be? One of the names here or, possibly, a pickup off waivers.

Believe what you will. When in your 3rd year, it is not college stats that are important.

How many GM's of the top 10 QB's in the NFL would trade their QB for Jones straight up? The answer is NONE.

Does Mac have potential? sure! Does the last pick of the 2022 Draft have at least as much? Probably.

1684406362326.gif

A post which is liked only by a lurking Captain Stone is the kiss of death.
Yeah, was meant to be in jest actually. I actually like the Jake Andrews pick. The NFL draft is such a ****ing crapshoot. Just because the “experts” say a player should be drafted here or there means **** to me. If these “experts” were so good they’d have jobs in the scouting dept of these teams instead of sitting at a desk on ESPN. Teams have their own boards, and player that fit their team and scheme. Once you get past the 2nd/3rdish round all bets are off. We don’t have a d@mn clue about how these kids acted in interviews or how they were received by our coaching staff. Saying we could get Jake Andrews 2 rounds later is b***s**t. Nobody knows that. Mel Kiper saying “I think he was drafted two rounds early” always makes me laugh.

It shouldn't have taken the 107th overall pick to send Thanksdad packing.
It's too easy to base one's expectations on when a prospect will go based on draft profiles and mock drafts. C. We ALL do it to some degree. Would anyone had been shocked if the Pats went for Washington at TE in the second or 3rd rounds. (a place where I routinely him on many of my pfn mocks), and then see him drop to the bottom of the SIXTH. Even our own first round pick was slated to go in the top 10 as either the first or 2nd best CB, lasted until 17 and was the 3rd.

You just never know how teams will value some prospects and some teams others, there will ALWAYS be shocks across EVERY team's draft class. I mean I don't blame you. I was pretty much flabbergasted by all our picks after our first 2 (that's TEN picks btw) I would have drafted a TE before Mapu. I would not have drafted what APPEARS to be 3 IOL. I definitely would NOT have drafted 2 kickers, (especially trading up in the 4th) though I always drafted a punter very late. I was pretty happy with Fault if he didn't have to KO.

But the difference between us is after the fact I can see how this draft might fit into how BB see this team being built over the next 2 seasons and from THAT perspective it makes a lot more sense. Let me explain.

1. I believe that Bill believes that it will take another season to build this team into a championship contender. This year's squad will be much better both offensively AND defensively and still might lose more games than last year if they don't get lucky with health, bounces and calls (like every team I guess). However I believe that between this draft with a year's experience, the next draft, PLUS the potential bodies we can add in FA with that massive amount of cap space we can begin to open a window of Championship competitiveness while some of the other competitors will start to close.

2. So in THIS draft we upgraded the roster, got younger, and prepared for step 2. On defense, we got much needed depth at CB, added 3, who have EXCELLENT physical characteristics Gonzales, Speed, and Boldin all bring 4.3 speed and quickness to add to Jones, Jones and Jones.....and maybe Mills. The fact is you need a plethora of effective CB's now days to be good.

You can never have TOO many good DLmen, And I really think that White can be every bit a steal as Barmore was, maybe better, since because he started as a TE, his best football is before him. But at 6'5 275 he has the size to be very versatile and effective in situational situations. I really liked this pick and only his age is a negative, but I won't worry about for the next 6 or 7 years.

Finally, we have decried for the last SEVERAL years that we haven't had the kind of LB with the length and speed to cover side to side and match up on receivers.l Well we might just have gotten ours. The only negative is his weight. It might take him a few years to add the 15lbs to get to the 235 level. But again he can play all over the field in situations and ST's until that happens.

Bottom line with those first 3 picks we got help at all 3 levels of the defense and I see all 3 of them contributing IMMEDIATELY either as starters or rotational players. Eventually seeing 40-50% of the defensive snaps

3. On offense the results are much murkier and we likely won't see immediate results.. We added 3 IOLmen players we HOPE won't have to start, but will upgrade the depth. I will not be surprised at all if Sow is tried at OT. We have a have a solid guy in Brown. Reiff was once a quality OT, Can be be one for another year? Can Anderson or Cajuste compete for starter or quality depth positions? We certainly have plenty of bodies to compete. Maybe the plan is to be good enough to make it competitive this year and add a big name FA or high pick next year, depending on the quality of the class. I don't know, but we NEEDED to upgrade the depth of the IOL and Owenu is going to want to get PAID next year. I don't see any of them becoming starters this year, but

As far as the new WR's, they are simply shots in the dark. Unlike most I think a first 4 WR group of SS, Thornton, Bourne and Parker are good enough with the TE's and RB's to move the chains. The rookies and hold overs can vie for the 5th spot and PS positions. There are plenty places to throw the ball within all those groups. It WILL be better than last season, I'll bet on that.

4. And last but not least, don't rest on the impact of this draft to ST's We've spent serious draft capital on kickers and punters before with great results.

5. So in the end this draft class is going to LIKELY produce 2 starting special teamers. (K&P ) 4 rotational or starting players (Gonzo, White, Mapu, and Sow that will give us 40-50% of positional snaps and 2 that will play a significant percentage of special teams snaps. (speed and Boldin) If that ends up being true, then Bob Kraft will be right that this WAS a spectacular draft

This is like 2001 in a sense of expectations and how the roster looked, 2001 was the 2nd step of what I believe Bill set out to build the wagon we eventually saw in 2003. The 2001 title was an outlier, almost like a gift for all the pain we had to endure previously. under the Sullivans and Kiams, But 2002 was more an accurate description of the state of our roster. 9-7 and on the verge of greatness.

The 2022 team is Step 2 on a plan to be able to build a roster that will compete for a title in year 4. Unlike most guys in his situation. Bill is NOT chasing his own race to have the most wins and mortgaging the future to grab a few wins now, I believe that he will retire after the 2024 season (MAYBE he'll stay for the 2025 one) and leaving the team in a VERY strong competitive situation

However these are just the AM ramblings of one guy's thought process. And by now I have forgotten half of what I've written. Maybe when I look at it again in the morning it will make some sense. ;)

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back