PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags @ Steelers Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the Jaguars are exactly built to win in the cold. They're just in Jacksonville, so they'll be all psychologically damaged by it. But defense/running game is pretty much exactly a 'cold weather blueprint'

It would be a very Steelers thing to do to lose this game, however.
I want pitt to win but battered and bruised

Thanks for pointing out that I correctly predicted that NE would win that game.

This is fun. Shall we go over some of my other predictions that also turned out to be accurate?

Dude, you can’t take half of your prediction and say the whole thing was right.

A win is a win.

Since 2001, I'm 221-66 when predicting NE games (regular + postseason) in which Brady is the starter.

That's pretty f&cking good.

You keep track of your own predictions? If this were a test with two questions:

A) Does NE win?
B) If so, does NE win in a blowout?

then your score would have been 50%.

I would MUCH rather play JAX and it's not even close. Give me a break. It doesn't matter anyway as it's not happening. I mean was there anything you saw in the Jags-Bills game that gives any shred of confidence going in to Pittsburgh??
No, but I can base it off of more than one week. Survive and advance in the playoffs. I don't think we looked amazing in the divisional round last year or 3 years ago, but we were still a good team based on the makeup of the team and their performance all year

Lets examine the playoff losses to teams that fall in that category.
2005 @ DEN- 5 TOs and 3 ******** penalties
2009- BAL- No Welker and a fractured culture with zero mental toughness
2010- NYJ- See my other post. Soft as **** defense.
2011- NYG- No Gronk. Brady separated his shoulder in the 4th qtr. Welker drop
2012 - BAL- No Gronk. Welker drop in the 3rd qtr. Turnovers.
2013- No Gronk. No receivers. Couldn't stop the run.
2015- Awful O line. Lost HFA. No running game

I don't understand the question.

We play JAX we smoke 'em but it'll be a grinder. 27-10

We play Pitt we win....31-21
to your first point... i think that stuff can happen. and you could already write for this year "edelman and hightower out, beat up line"
and things like turnovers can happen, especially against a team like jax

my questions that you said you didn't understand was that i believe pitt to be the better team but jax to be the harder play style for us to play. does the talent gap between pitt and jax outweigh the play style

my questions that you said you didn't understand was that i believe pitt to be the better team but jax to be the harder play style for us to play. does the talent gap between pitt and jax outweigh the play style

Im more concerned about the playing style. Pats have crushed more talented teams that have schemes they feast on (see Pitt zone blitz)

Im more concerned about the playing style. Pats have crushed more talented teams that have schemes they feast on (see Pitt zone blitz)
right, so that's what I was thinking. that's why i'm not totally convinced id rather play jax

right, so that's what I was thinking. that's why i'm not totally convinced id rather play jax
I think its a wash. Both Pitt and JAX are big tough physical teams. Pitt concerns me more because they have a diverse offense.

I was impressed by the Jaguars back in August when they held joint practices at Gillette. They seemed like a talented and disciplined team in practice, and the season bore it out. Yes, Bortles is Bortles, and they're a warm weather team heading into Pittsburgh in January. But in all other ways, including playing style, IMO Jax is a tough matchup for Pittsburgh.

Steelers/Jaguars and Vikings/Saints should make for an excellent Sunday of football.

I think its a wash. Both Pitt and JAX are big tough physical teams. Pitt concerns me more because they have a diverse offense.

Why do people keep saying the Steelers have a “diverse offense?!?!?” Stop Bell, and they are nothing more than a big play offense. Take away the big play and force them to drive down the field and that offense turns to crap. This has happened every single January. Ravens punked them in 2015, Broncos punked them in 2016, Pats punked them in 2017. Not to mention they sucked against the Bengals/Chiefs.

As for this game, it’ll come down to the Jags offense playing a clean game and if Bortles can make a few plays here and there. I expect the Jags D to expose that overrated Steeler offense, but it won’t mean much if the Jags O doesn’t play a clean game and Bortles and that run attack have a better bounceback performance.

Defensively, the Jags have what it takes to beat Pitt. Fournette is very good. But they will not beat Pitt because Clowney was right about Bortles. I would LOVE to be wrong.

Why do people keep saying the Steelers have a “diverse offense?!?!?” Stop Bell, and they are nothing more than a big play offense. Take away the big play and force them to drive down the field and that offense turns to crap. This has happened every single January. Ravens punked them in 2015, Broncos punked them in 2016, Pats punked them in 2017. Not to mention they sucked against the Bengals/Chiefs.

They can run the ball.
They can catch short, middle and long
They have a good QB
They have a ProBowl RB who can run for power, speed and catch the ball.
They have possession receivers, big play receivers and a TE who can block and catch.
Their o line is good

Thats pretty diverse.

Now if you want to say their offense doesn't translate into post season success then I won't disagree with you.

The jags won't get 5 ints from ben. They will have to pass the football. They have to test that Pittsburgh secondary. Bortles was awful in the earlier matchup. The fact that he couldn't get over 100 yards in that game was another pathetic start from him.

You keep track of your own predictions? If this were a test with two questions:

A) Does NE win?
B) If so, does NE win in a blowout?

then your score would have been 50%.

Check those numbers, I think he was making a funny! :p

I believe the Jags' D can hold the Steelers to 20, but I doubt it'll matter when they'll struggle mightily to get to 10.
I'm actually a bit surprised that it seems so many are giving JAX so much of a shot to beat a vastly superior Steelers team at Heinz. I just don't see it other than the Steelers turning the ball over a few times and giving JAX short fields.

Bortles will need to do much better, youve gotta be able to exploit that pitt d because as good as jax’s d is, ben is a pretty great qb at home and wont play near as bad as he did meeting 1.

I really don’t think blake will do well enough, imo pitt will focus on rb like buff did (both are weak vs the run) and dare bortles to win which he wont. If theyhad a half decent qb I probably would’ve picked jax but i think pitt takes it since they really dont gotta respect the pass.

I'm actually a bit surprised that it seems so many are giving JAX so much of a shot to beat a vastly superior Steelers team at Heinz. I just don't see it other than the Steelers turning the ball over a few times and giving JAX short fields.
Yep, even during their 30-9 victory earlier in the year they only racked up around 200+ yards of offense prior to Fournette’s garbage time long run.

To take it one step further, I don’t believe that anyone has gone into Heinz field and won twice in the same year. I think you’d have to go back awhile just to see someone do it at Three Rivers stadium, too. I don’t see JAX having any type of shot to win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes