PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags @ Steelers Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominating Steelers blowout 37-10. Bortles is one of the worst QB's in the entire NFL. I mean, really, REALLY bad! This one will get ugly fast. I expect at least 2-3 picks from Bortles and the game basically decided by the second quarter. Pats-Steelers rematch coming.

do you guys all want to play jax for sure? pitt is no doubt the better team, but jax is more the kind of team that's beat us in the playoffs in the past. Able to get pressure without a blitz, good DBs/playmaking secondary, able to run the ball, QB that's capable of having good games. Reminds me too much of the Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Jets. So I'm pretty close to indifferent for our opponent. Do you guys think the talent gap is just so high that it outweighs the effect of the play styles?

do you guys all want to play jax for sure? pitt is no doubt the better team, but jax is more the kind of team that's beat us in the playoffs in the past. Able to get pressure without a blitz, good DBs/playmaking secondary, able to run the ball, QB that's capable of having good games. Reminds me too much of the Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Jets. So I'm pretty close to indifferent for our opponent. Do you guys think the talent gap is just so high that it outweighs the effect of the play styles?

I would MUCH rather play JAX and it's not even close. Give me a break. It doesn't matter anyway as it's not happening. I mean was there anything you saw in the Jags-Bills game that gives any shred of confidence going in to Pittsburgh??

do you guys all want to play jax for sure?

I prefer Pittsburgh. NE would easily blow them out from start to finish. It would never be a serious contest.

A game against Jax would be a guaranteed victory as well, except it would be more akin to last year's Divisional round game against Houston. A close game for a half, until NE finally pulls away and wins by about 20.

I got the steelers in this one just because Blake Bortles is so bad. But Jax will definitely bring the physicality on both sides of the ball. Steelers will be sore come Sunday night.

do you guys all want to play jax for sure? pitt is no doubt the better team, but jax is more the kind of team that's beat us in the playoffs in the past. Able to get pressure without a blitz, good DBs/playmaking secondary, able to run the ball, QB that's capable of having good games. Reminds me too much of the Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Jets. So I'm pretty close to indifferent for our opponent.

Lets examine the playoff losses to teams that fall in that category.
2005 @ DEN- 5 TOs and 3 ******** penalties
2009- BAL- No Welker and a fractured culture with zero mental toughness
2010- NYJ- See my other post. Soft as **** defense.
2011- NYG- No Gronk. Brady separated his shoulder in the 4th qtr. Welker drop
2012 - BAL- No Gronk. Welker drop in the 3rd qtr. Turnovers.
2013- No Gronk. No receivers. Couldn't stop the run.
2015- Awful O line. Lost HFA. No running game

Do you guys think the talent gap is just so high that it outweighs the effect of the play styles?

I don't understand the question.

We play JAX we smoke 'em but it'll be a grinder. 27-10

We play Pitt we win....31-21

This is the last matchup Pittsburgh wanted! The Jags defense is going to eat! It all comes down to if Bortles/Fournette can get anything going. The Bills defense is way better than the Pittsburgh's IMO! Still and all it's Bortles so I won't hold my breath! This is still the ultimate trap game for Pittsburgh especially if we take care business vs the Titans on Saturday night!

Coughlin team...don't sell them short because they sucked (and Buffalo's defense was pretty damned good) in one or two games.

Yes, they only played four playoff teams (and lost three of those four), but they match up well against the Steelers...and the Patriots. Turnovers could bring them to the AFCCG, without doubt.

Also, Calais Campbell was as dominant in that Buffalo game as Von miller was a couple of years ago through the playoffs. The man is THE MAN, and how I wish the Pats had found a way to grab him in FA.

Might be my favorite D player.

I just wish that Bortles didn't stink.

JAX @ PIT is going to be very, very close. Possibly even JAX with a lead inside 2 minutes before something either stupid, controversial, or both saves the day for the Steelers. I'm thinking of their recent playoff wins vs KC and CIN.

Actually, the Jaguars are exactly built to win in the cold. They're just in Jacksonville, so they'll be all psychologically damaged by it. But defense/running game is pretty much exactly a 'cold weather blueprint'

It would be a very Steelers thing to do to lose this game, however.

Jax's running game is kind of suspect right now, given that it's entirely unsupported by the passing game, and is reliant on a star rookie RB who's been pretty underwhelming in the last few games.

Also, Bortles referenced "the wind" being a factor in the Bills game in Jacksonville - this site says the temp was low 50's and the wind was 7 mph: NFLWeather.com

Last edited:
I prefer Pittsburgh. NE would easily blow them out from start to finish. It would never be a serious contest.

You said that about the last NE-Pitt game....

Just a quick note:

With Shazier down, the Steelers' run defense has been less effective.

Wrong, you said was going to be a NE blowout.

Thanks for pointing out that I correctly predicted that NE would win that game.

This is fun. Shall we go over some of my other predictions that also turned out to be accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick