PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags @ Steelers Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think talk about this game deserves its own thread. I think it will be a good match up and Frankly I could see an upset and Jags win. Here's why

#1 The Jags offense won't be so utterly ineffective 2 games in a row, particularly Bortles - Bortles was a better RB than QB against the Bills. He isn't a good QB by any stretch but throwing only 90 yards? There is no way he is that bad again. Against the Bills he played at his base level. I do believe in variance working out and that the next game will likely be closer to his ceiling than base level of play. Bortles averages 230 yards per game just FYI. I know when he played the Steelers he actually had an even worse game but that was in part cause they were up and playing safe the whole time so he only threw 14 times.

#2 Jags have the best pass D in the NFL. The Steelers are known as the killer Bs but in the end they live or die by Brown more than Bell. Bell does most of the dirty work but they need Brown to be explosive to score much of the time. If they can't get their star WR going their offense tends to fall flat even if Bell has a 30 rush 140 yard game. I know they have juju who is doing well now too but he isn't someone the Jags will let beat them. The key is too not let him get behind you or or him get a have too much space in the redzone. They can accomplish those things.

#3 They can get pressure. Ben has had one of the best OLs in the NFL this year and last year too. He faces pressure less than any other QB in the past 2 years. The Jags are one of the teams that can make him throw under pressure which is something he hasn't had to do much this year. No QB is all that good under pressure and they fact he faces so little means their offense has had an advantage over nearly every other one. Giving him the same pressure they would give any other team knocks them down a larger amount.

So I think this will be the upset of the week. If the Jags can get ahead of Pitt at any point the game turns highly in their favor.

It is going to be ice cold day in Pittsburgh, that does not bode well for the Jaguars. Besides, Bortles in his first PO road game... think he will be the difference maker for the Steelers.

No way the Jags beat Pitt on the road especially since the home team has had a week off. Bortles isn't ready for prime time yet. The D is but the offense ain't. No way I'd pick against the Steelers this week.

The Jaguars are not built to win in the cold.

Anything can happen, but it would be a huge stunner if Jax leaves Pitt with a win. The playoffs can be strange, but the Steelers have many proven players and Jax barely beat Buffalo at home.

The Jaguars are not built to win in the cold.

Actually, the Jaguars are exactly built to win in the cold. They're just in Jacksonville, so they'll be all psychologically damaged by it. But defense/running game is pretty much exactly a 'cold weather blueprint'

Anything can happen, but it would be a huge stunner if Jax leaves Pitt with a win. The playoffs can be strange, but the Steelers have many proven players and Jax barely beat Buffalo at home.

It would be a very Steelers thing to do to lose this game, however.

I think talk about this game deserves its own thread. I think it will be a good match up and Frankly I could see an upset and Jags win. Here's why

#1 The Jags offense won't be so utterly ineffective 2 games in a row, particularly Bortles - Bortles was a better RB than QB against the Bills. He isn't a good QB by any stretch but throwing only 90 yards? There is no way he is that bad again. Against the Bills he played at his base level. I do believe in variance working out and that the next game will likely be closer to his ceiling than base level of play. Bortles averages 230 yards per game just FYI. I know when he played the Steelers he actually had an even worse game but that was in part cause they were up and playing safe the whole time so he only threw 14 times.

#2 Jags have the best pass D in the NFL. The Steelers are known as the killer Bs but in the end they live or die by Brown more than Bell. Bell does most of the dirty work but they need Brown to be explosive to score much of the time. If they can't get their star WR going their offense tends to fall flat even if Bell has a 30 rush 140 yard game. I know they have juju who is doing well now too but he isn't someone the Jags will let beat them. The key is too not let him get behind you or or him get a have too much space in the redzone. They can accomplish those things.

#3 They can get pressure. Ben has had one of the best OLs in the NFL this year and last year too. He faces pressure less than any other QB in the past 2 years. The Jags are one of the teams that can make him throw under pressure which is something he hasn't had to do much this year. No QB is all that good under pressure and they fact he faces so little means their offense has had an advantage over nearly every other one. Giving him the same pressure they would give any other team knocks them down a larger amount.

So I think this will be the upset of the week. If the Jags can get ahead of Pitt at any point the game turns highly in their favor.
Good effort, but it won't be a contest.

I think the Jaguars are perfectly built to stop this Steelers team. Good running game hits their vulnerabilities and an historically good defense to force Ben into mistakes, especially if Brown isn't 100%. I expect the game to be low scoring but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 16-10 win for the Jaguars.

It is going to be ice cold day in Pittsburgh, that does not bode well for the Jaguars. Besides, Bortles in his first PO road game... think he will be the difference maker for the Steelers.

Another reason for Steelers HC Tomlin to be upset, Saturday its in the mid fifties and then overnight frigid cold comes in and Sunday's high temperature is 25 degrees.

Jags defense just need a couple of pick-6. Only then Big Ben will get rattle and stop thinking about the game and Small Benny start looking for girl to push into the bathroom.

The one and only thing going for the Jags is the fact they already went into Pittsburgh earlier in the season, and served them a good beat down. Rapelithsburger was picked 3 times in that game. If nothing else, they are not afraid to go in there.... that defense will play with confidence. Might be just enough to escape with a close out a win.

I think the titans have a better chance of beating the pats than the Jags of beating the Steelers with their putrid offense.

They already did it earlier in the season. Never say never.

Yeah, apparently nobody's watched this Jaguars team. Especially with people making comments like "they can't win in Pittsburgh" when they won 30-9 in Pittsburgh earlier this year. They've got a historically good defense. They've got an incredible front seven and two of the four or five best corners in football. They're exactly the kind of team that gives the Steelers fits. Hell, they're exactly the kind of team that gives the Patriots fits.

Weather will be a factor. It'll be ~18 deg at game time.

Not sure how the kitty cats will do in that.

I don't like the JAX offense at all.

They'll need to have a great day on the ground,

Feels like a 21-13 Steelers win. I think it'll be tight.

Hoping for the easiest possible match up: the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Of course, the Jags would be a laughably easy match up as well.

Yeah, apparently nobody's watched this Jaguars team. Especially with people making comments like "they can't win in Pittsburgh" when they won 30-9 in Pittsburgh earlier this year. They've got a historically good defense. They've got an incredible front seven and two of the four or five best corners in football. They're exactly the kind of team that gives the Steelers fits. Hell, they're exactly the kind of team that gives the Patriots fits.

I watched them against the Seahawks, Bortles was nothing short of great, relaxed, made lots of excellent throws... then yesterday he was afraid to try anything longer than 10 yards. Postseason is a different animal and if your QB falters you could be dead in the water in no time. Their D is awesome but they also gave up too many yards to the Seahawks, who are well below the Steelers in terms of weapons and offensive capabilities.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
Weather will be a factor. It'll be ~18 deg at game time.

Not sure how the kitty cats will do in that.

I don't like the JAX offense at all.

They'll need to have a great day on the ground,

Feels like a 21-13 Steelers win. I think it'll be tight.

After watching the Bills game and not watching the original Jags/Stillers game I cant for the life of me envision how they beat them the first time. All I can guess is that the Stillers came in way overconfident on offense and went for risky/big play throws that turned into INTs and it snowballed.

As bad as that Jags offense was (the Bills did a great job of bottle up the run make Bortles win the game defense which is the blueprint) if the Stillers play conservative (a stretch I know) on both sides and just be patient it would only take 14-17 pts to beat that Jags team.

And maybe that's what people are clinging to - that massive talent gap. But honestly the greater question is can the Stillers adjust away from their blitzing/big play style?

That to me is the easy path to victory...and this is another Stiller team that is run more on emotion and stubbornness in being right than analysis and execution of the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back