PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags setting up a move to London?

Who would want to play for a team whose shortest road trip is over 3,000 miles? I also don't think it would be fair to 21 year old kids getting drafted to be forced to move so far from home.

Who would want to play for a team whose shortest road trip is over 3,000 miles? I also don't think it would be fair to 21 year old kids getting drafted to be forced to move so far from home.
Many would... an amazing adventure, playing the game you love for millions.

A 21 year old is much safer in London than many cities, including Baltimore and Miami. That 21 isn’t being FORCED to work in the League. 21 year olds from Miami are getting drafted by Seattle... how many miles is that ?

There are many great cities in the world, but few are greater than London.

dolphins moved to the afc south, jags moved to the afc east. I could totally see this happening pretty easily.

Wait, You do know those moves were not actual geographical relocation moves, right? It was simply on paper, you got that complicated part figured out, right? We don't yet beam anybody down where they need to be at any given time and location like Star Trek?

A 21 year old is much safer in London than many cities, including Baltimore and Miami. That 21 isn’t being FORCED to work in the League. 21 year olds from Miami are getting drafted by Seattle... how many miles is that ?

There are many great cities in the world, but few are greater than London.

Sure, they would be forced. They can live their dream playing football and making millions or take a regular job. That's hardly a choice. London is a great city, but it is a big cultural difference that the players aren't volunteering for. A lot of these guys aren't exactly "cultured", educated, or mature and I think that's an awful lot to force upon them.

Some would love it, but I think it would be very difficult for others.

Last edited:
The NFL wants a team in London but they know it will be a complete disaster from a competitive standpoint. Free agents won't want to go there, the travel schedule would be brutal, and it would be a complete cluster-mess.

An "amazing adventure" is one that last a couple weeks, not a 5 year professional commitment that will force you to leave friends and family thousands of miles behind in another country.
Miami to Seattle is the longest trip in the NFL - and it's still shorter than Boston to London (which would be the shortest London trip) by 500 miles.

There's a reason why every team who plays in London gets the bye week the following week. But you can't give 4 or 5 byes to the one team that plays there full time.

Perfect for a team in need of frequent repairs.

You're so right, I had a '04 Jag, XJ something, it spent more the repair shop than on the road.

The NFL wants a team in London but they know it will be a complete disaster from a competitive standpoint. Free agents won't want to go there, the travel schedule would be brutal, and it would be a complete cluster-mess.
Some first-round pick will pull an Eli.

I don’t think there’s any real rivalries anymore given the turnover in the league. I’d like a more simple AFC and NFC and get rid of divisions. I’m tired of the Pats playing the same teams every year.
I think playing the same teams every year generates more fan interest and makes division games more important.

Sure, they would be forced. They can live their dream playing football and making millions or take a regular job. That's hardly a choice. London is a great city, but it is a big cultural difference that the players aren't volunteering for. A lot of these guys aren't exactly "cultured", educated, or mature and I think that's an awful lot to force upon them.

Meh. It's London. It's not Kabul. They'll be fine. Just like every military guy who was ever stationed in the UK was. Unless you think the military makes you pass some kind of "are you cultured" test before sending you there. :D

That would be so strange.

Just like when they moved the Colts out of the division so that Fivehead didn't have to face the Goat twice a year. :eek:

This is NOT a big deal. Compare travel times from Boston to London, to Seattle and to San Diego. They are close enough. As has been said, JAX would be moved to the AFC East, and Miami to the South.

I suppose they wouldn't be jaguars anymore.

Yes, there would need to be schedule work when a West coast team is going to London, presumably after a bye or after a TH night game.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume they'd move divisions. This is a league in which at one point the majority of the NFC West were far closer to the east coast than the west.

Big cultural difference ? They speak English and are very similar to many North Americans. When was your last visit there ? It’s lovely.

I think a kid from the Boston or NY area would see more of a shock in Cleveland.

There would be challenges. But, it wouldn’t be insurmountable.

An "amazing adventure" is one that last a couple weeks, not a 5 year professional commitment that will force you to leave friends and family thousands of miles behind in another country.
Miami to Seattle is the longest trip in the NFL - and it's still shorter than Boston to London (which would be the shortest London trip) by 500 miles.

There's a reason why every team who plays in London gets the bye week the following week. But you can't give 4 or 5 byes to the one team that plays there full time.
Forcing you to leave friends... it’s not Mars. It’s a few hours away from the East Coast. If you move from Boston to Philly, you lose friends you’d otherwise see daily. Yet, people make that choice quite often.

London isn’t South Sudan. It’s beautiful & a very desirable city to live / work in.

I don't think it's a good idea, but all the signs are that it's a done deal.

You don't spend $1 billion on a new stadium with a double retractable pitch (grass and artificial turf) just on the chance that it may be used for a few games and rock concerts.

(Note. We live in turbulent times and things could get in the way -- a left-wing government might not give the NFL the tax breaks it wants, and so on. So I'm not saying it's unbreakable.)
Wow! I feel like there's a lot that could go wrong with that and the game delayed when switching pitches.

And I don't understand why the hell any government thinks NFL stadiums needs subsidizing. They have enough money themselves to fund it all. Ridiculous for any government to even fund an NFL stadium. They should pay for it, including infrastructure. They can afford it.

Last edited:
Having one team with a 5-8 hours time difference is stupid. Teams coming and going would have jet lag. If you travel days in advance, it screws up game preparation. They need to bag the idea - besides football is something different to Brits and always will be.

Getting the Brits to like American football would be like getting me to like oatmeal. It ain’t happening.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back