PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Jags move another step closer to London......

Status
Not open for further replies.
London Werewolves?

London Hounds?
the London Calling. the logo would be the iconic red telephone booth. they would be the only NFL team name that doesn't end in "s".

d553327860dc4d041ea9ad861229e94f.jpg

and of course the team song:

Jacksonville fans "Hey, our team finally doesn't suck!"
NFL: "Yoink!"

The London Bangers and Mash

Sounds tough. Mash your team to a pulp.

the London Calling. the logo would be the iconic red telephone booth. they would be the only NFL team name that doesn't end in "s".
and of course the team song:

The Zombies of Death?

The British "football" tradition doesn't do the whole "team name" thing. For the most part team names are based on location first and foremost. For the most part football teams are defined almost entirely by where they play, with no other identifying feature other than favorite colors or traditions/songs/chants what have you

I wouldn't be too surprised if a London entry into the NFL would simply be named London AFC, (the London American Football Club) and any team mascot identity would be distinctly informal.

I would absolutely love it if they took on the old school redcoat motif -- red uniforms with white stripes, black cap, etc. Would make the games against the New England Patriots very fun (could even develop an outright rivalry, which would be awesome!) while also celebrating Britain's proud imperial history at the same time.

Really? Because many teams I know have a mascot in the UK. The Black Cats, the Magpies, the Gunners, Swans, Eagles, Hammers, Hornets, Wolves, Lions, Owls, Potters, Rams, Spurs, this is just off the top of my head. We named our 3v3 team the Black Cats because on of our players was from there. Also, I'd have quieter Sunday mornings at the soccer bar if not for my friend screaming in my ear, "Come on you Spurs!"

Khan would have to completely reinvent the identity, name, and logo of the team to make it something distinctly British, something the British people could identify with, and cheer for, if they liked it.

That's a gigantic risk.

I don't see the risk. The location in London is just a proxy for all European football fans. This would not be a British team but a European one. (Western) Europe would essentially become his market with no additional team likely to be added or moved there.

I just don't see the FA selling Wembley stadium to Khan. Futbol is king and American football at most a footnote in relative terms.

Khan would have to completely reinvent the identity, name, and logo of the team to make it something distinctly British, something the British people could identify with, and cheer for, if they liked it.

That's a gigantic risk.
I read the comments in the Daily Mail about this earlier...they hate the idea. They hate the idea of selling the national stadium to someone that might re-name it Taco Bell stadium for example.

Looking forward to British announcers and trying to decipher their football(soccer) vernacular. "Mister Bortles tossed the ball with great lift, barnstorming over a great distance of the pitch. The other squad parked the bus on that one. Next a proper execution of the free kick and it's equal. Bob's your uncle!, "

The backlash has started against the FA, the whole country is against this happening. The PM tonight even said the FA should think long and hard before making that decision. Others have asked for money to be paid back, some 200m gifted to the FA to help pay for it.

IMO if you look at it, khan has spent millions already on the Jags stadium and brand new training facilities. Recently they also put forward a project to build around these facilities, and this bid to I think to help push those land deals through.

Khan’s new neighborhood: $2.5 billion vision for area surrounding stadium | Jax Daily Record | Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

Then we have the football team he owns in London. Fulham FC, who themselves have gone to planning in order to build up there current stadium

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-river-walk-and-4000-more-seats-a3743621.html

So, we have two instances whereby 'if' Khan was to buy Wembley then it would impact two of his projects in order to get a better deal.

Add to this Fulham's derby matchup has always been Chelsea FC, they wish to use the stadium for the next 4 years whilst the new stamford bridge is built, Khan could easily tell them to find somewhere else and use the stadium themselves.

So, for now I am very sceptical with Khans actions, I also am very happy to see the UK media pretty much turned round to tell Khan to do one, whislt the fans have also said Khan is not wanted.. Wembley is sacred, the whole reason Tottenham Hotspur have built a second pitch is because you cannot have an NFL season on the grass pitch, and no way England will want to play on such a surface.

I like it. The Brits leave the EC and join the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back