Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you stick with Minshew, or go back to Foles?

• Minshew

Votes: 36 67.9%
  • Foles

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters
The team's 4-4, and it hasn't beaten a good team that wasn't struggling (giving credit for the Titans being a "good" team right now). Wins over the Broncos, Bengals, and Jets aren't reason to throw your starter overboard.

You put Foles back in the lineup.
It’s just more about how Minshew has looked himself, and answering the long term question. You can save a ton in cap space if you ride with him for the next few years and build around him.

Would you trust Foles to stay healthy on that contract? I sure wouldn’t. Trade him and get a decent return.

The team's 4-4, and it hasn't beaten a good team that wasn't struggling (giving credit for the Titans being a "good" team right now). Wins over the Broncos, Bengals, and Jets aren't reason to throw your starter overboard.

they are 4-4 and the team is rallying around Minshew right now and that type of locker room aura counts for something. Unless you believe they wouldve been like 7-1 under foles instead of 4-4, i dont see any reason to pull the kid before he truly fails.

let him have a game like kyle allen last week where the wheels fall completely off and then make the switch if anything

Keep in mind the Jags have a lot of interest in gaining popularity as much as winning. Yes, winning usually gains popularity, but that’s a risky bet. The Jags are trying to drum up interesting in England as well as build a respectable fan base in the US. Minshew’s cult following and adequate play may just be a short term thing, but if become the norm than his quirky, Beatles hippie looking/Uncle Rico face of the franchise gives them an identity for the first time. I suspect the Jags have long craved some kind of iconic player to get them on the relevancy map. I don’t think Foles has that potential.

Of course, Minshew may end up sucking badly making this a moot point. My only point here is that his personality may give him preferential treatment in the same sense that a first round QB gets.

they are 4-4 and the team is rallying around Minshew right now and that type of locker room aura counts for something. Unless you believe they wouldve been like 7-1 under foles instead of 4-4, i dont see any reason to pull the kid before he truly fails.

let him have a game like kyle allen last week where the wheels fall completely off and then make the switch if anything

I believe that Foles is a QB who's capable of rallying his team against good opponents, and capable of winning a Super Bowl. Minshew has not shown himself capable of either of those feats. It's still Foles' team, just as it was still Brady's team when he was wrongly suspended for 4 games and JAG/Brissett went 3-1 in his absence, and just as it was still Brady's team when Cassel led the Patriots to an 11-5 record.

Behind that OL, he’s getting injured again. Foles is a statue and Minshew has had to evade pressure by climbing in the pocket on almost every drop back. You put Foles in there, Minshew is going to see the field again before the year is over.

Behind that OL, he’s getting injured again. Foles is a statue and Minshew has had to evade pressure by climbing in the pocket on almost every drop back. You put Foles in there, Minshew is going to see the field again before the year is over.

That's the chance you take when you choose a talented pocket QB over a lesser talented scrambling/running QB. The Patriots have been taking that chance for about 30 years now. But, as we've seen time and time again, being a scrambling/running QB doesn't eliminate injury probability.

Last edited:
That's the chance you take when you choose a talented pocket QB over a lesser talented scrambling/running QB. The Patriots have been taking that chance for about 30 years now.
The Patriots have an offense based on crossers, slants, hitches... short stuff that’s partly by design to protect Brady. Who on the Jaguars do you see getting open quickly and running those tougher routes to protect Foles? I watch this team almost every week and my only thought is maybe Chark. Their passing game is built on going vertical. That’s the kind of receivers they have. That means Foles will have to hold the ball. That’s what happened when he got hurt. I really don’t think the Jags have a bad choice either way. It’s a good problem to have. But, gun to my head, I’m going with the guy that can buy that time in the pocket. That’s Minshew right now. If he develops, it makes Foles (and his salary) easier to trade.

The Patriots have an offense based on crossers, slants, hitches... short stuff that’s partly by design to protect Brady. Who on the Jaguars do you see getting open quickly and running those tougher routes to protect Foles? I watch this team almost every week and my only thought is maybe Chark. Their passing game is built on going vertical. That’s the kind of receivers they have. That means Foles will have to hold the ball. That’s what happened when he got hurt. I really don’t think the Jags have a bad choice either way. It’s a good problem to have. But, gun to my head, I’m going with the guy that can buy that time in the pocket. That’s Minshew right now. If he develops, it makes Foles (and his salary) easier to trade.

You don't keep the superior QB on the bench because he might get injured. And, as for scrambling QBs buying time while avoiding injury, see Mahomes, Pat.

I think “hot start” is grading on a curve.
Minshew hasn’t stepped on his **** but he has been very average. The hype, hysteria, underdog story are all nice but they don’t play the rest of their games based on “good for a rookie” they play them based on winning or losing.
Perhaps minshew has a future, perhaps not, but at this point he is a mediocre nfl QB.
Well, you must think Brady is a JAG as well then, since Minshew's numbers are better than Tom's.

The most interesting part is that you’ve been thinking about this a lot.

That team is going nowhere. I suppose if you see value in making the playoffs, maybe you go Foles. But why ? What does that help ? I’d stick with Minshew and get him experience and a better pick.

Seems like the Jags are playing the good teams close in the losses (based on the box scores anyway). Makes me want to lean slightly Minshew.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the Jets what they’d do. Then do the opposite.

Did you just admit to being a closet Jags fan? :)

You don't keep the superior QB on the bench because he might get injured. And, as for scrambling QBs buying time while avoiding injury, see Mahomes, Pat.

I’m not just talking about fleeing the pocket. I’m talking about moving within it. Hence “climbing the pocket” in my OP. Minshew is already better at it than Foles is. He’s a better fit for what the Jags are on offense than Foles is. Foles is the more experienced QB with the better resume, but that isn’t counting for much if he’s on his back. I don’t think it’s a bad problem to have either way. I just think it makes more sense to continue developing Minshew.

Did you just admit to being a closet Jags fan? :)
Nope. I live down here so their games are always on in the local area. Since I can’t stream Sunday Ticket on more than one device at a time, the Patriots (or best available game) is often on one TV and the Jags game is often on another.

TB 13 TDs 4 INTs, Minshew 13 TDs, 2 INTs.
TB QB rating 95.0 Minshew 98.8
Oh god you think qb rating is a valid way to compare QBs?
Ok, no sense discussing.

Nope. I live down here so their games are always on in the local area. Since I can’t stream Sunday Ticket on more than one device at a time, the Patriots (or best available game) is often on one TV and the Jags game is often on another.
Good to know you don't have a poster of this guy in your 2 TV set man cave.

SmartSelect_20191102-143308_Firefox.jpg

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back