Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How confident are you that Brissett makes the roster this year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Memories of the Patsfans drumbeat here to cut Cassel after his 2008 pre-season seemingly poor outings

Was thinking the exact same thing. He even seemed to regress like Jacoby.

(A) They had him traveling to games anyways (there is no rule prohibiting players on IR from traveling with the team).

(B) Players on IR can do anything the team does except practice and play. So he was able to attend meetings, hit the film room, etc.

And yet more years than not since 2010, the Patriots haven't even bothered to have a third QB on the payroll, let alone on the 53.

Seems like BB disagrees with you because he said specifically that JB was chosen to keep him around the team.

If BB sees an area or two where Jacoby has improved, then I can understand keeping him. But if pretty much every aspect of his game has regressed, well he was a project to begin with.

He's got to show improvement; some hope by the end of game 4 (which will be entirely his) that he could be a starter, or least a top backup in the league in the next two years.

If the team's assessment were that there's no improvement from last year after the next two games, BB might decide he is not worth a roster spot.
How are we measuring improvement? Are we expecting a guy to go from raw to above average in one off-season for any particular reason?

You have to be realistic about where Brissett is. You can't take a project and schedule him to improve at a rate we didn't even expect of Garoppolo.

Right now Brissett is getting the playbook down and working hard on tightening his mechanics at the same time. That's a ton to master all at once, the fact that Brady pulled it off says more about how special Brady was a d is than what we should expect of a raw young third stringer

It simply is not "a step backwards" when all if this doesn't miraculously click all at once in the first real try.

There isn't a fanbase quite so utterly unrealistic about what it takes to succeed as an NFL quarterback as the pats fanbase. We have been way too spoiled for way too long to even understand how good we have it in some ways.

A kid being ready to go in his second full season is very much the exception. A lot of these guys only click after half a decade or more and some only click on their third team or so. It is not a quick or easy process to learn how to quarterback at the NFL level

Give. It. Time.

Last edited:
I think he's cut. Especially if it comes down to him or Foster, as another poster mentioned. He hasn't developed any touch on his passes and the team kept 3 QBs last year due to Brady's suspension. Brady is an iron man at the position and JAG is a more than capable back-up. If the extremely unlikely happens, they can make an in-season trade or pick someone up off the scrap heap. Brissett is expendable and they'll need a contributor at another position. IMO, he's gone. They'll either trade him or cut him outright.

If Biscuit have Practice Squad Eligibility I am confident he makes it. He has not improved one bit and doesn't look like a NFL QB in the making.

How are we measuring improvement? Are we expecting a guy to go from raw to above average in one off-season for any particular reason?

You have to be realistic about where Brissett is. You can't take a project and schedule him to improve at a rate we didn't even expect of Garoppolo.

Right now Brissett is getting the playbook down and working hard on tightening his mechanics at the same time. That's a ton to master all at once, the fact that Brady pulled it off says more about how special Brady was a d is than what we should expect of a raw young third stringer

It simply is not "a step backwards" when all if this doesn't miraculously click all at once in the first real try.

There isn't a fanbase quite so utterly unrealistic about what it takes to succeed as an NFL quarterback as the pats fanbase. We have been way too spoiled for way too long to even understand how good we have it in some ways.

A kid being ready to go in his second full season is very much the exception. A lot of these guys only click after half a decade or more and some only click on their third team or so. It is not a quick or easy process to learn how to quarterback at the NFL level

Give. It. Time.

So, we should settle for THIS? We are not the Jets, the Bills, the Browns...thankfully. Must we pretend that because he's a bauble-boy with friends in high places (Parcells), he is worthy of a roster spot? I hope not, though in these ideological and celebrity-driven times, that may well be the case. I'll say no, however unfashionable such simple honesty may be. He shows no signs that he is a "franchise quarterback." If I am wrong, provide that evidence. I await your post.

It's plain to see that Biscuit doesn't have "It" his Game have too many "what's".

Except BB specifically mentioned that they designated him to return from IR because being around the team during practice, film room and games is essential for a young QB.

The entire debate of taking fringe NFL level players like Foster, Lucien or Hollister over your QB3 when your QB1 is 40 and one severe hit away from retirement is just silly.

No, you cant just pick any QB off the street of something happens to Brady or JG and assume he will just learn the playbook.***** about JB all you want but he has been here for two offseasons and at least knows the players, the plays and maybe most importantly the coaches know him and how they can use him.

Exactly, I think it's perfectly valid at this point to discuss Bisquick's roster spot, but not to keep guys like you mentioned. I don't get all this Foster love, BB has proved he can get scat backs on other teams garbage bin, draft, undrafted players. Nothing taking anything away from the player but it's the system and Brady that makes them work so well.

I'm fairly sure he makes it this year. However he'd better do something this year to show he's a viable backup (meaning one we can win with) or we'll be drafting his replacement next year (unless we somehow get JG signed long term as the #2 and eventual #1 in which case Brissett could be gone without a replacement). Most likely we have only one of Brady or JG and draft a new backup unless Brissett looks legit to them. Unfortunately he looks more like Mallet with a much better personality.

So, we should settle for THIS?

Yes, that's definitely what I was saying. We should absolutely cut both Brady and Garoppolo to give this guy the starting job. Good job taking what I said, which had nothing to do with this conclusion, and deducing that my real meaning all along was that Jacoby Brissett was absolutely perfect right now and should immediately start for the Patriots.

What part of "project" is confusing you people? Do you really expect every young quarterback to just snap his fingers and become perfect? Even Brady had to do a lot of on the job learning, and he was like 99.95th percentile in how quickly he adjusted to the NFL -- hell, he was practically an NFL quarterback in Michigan.

Brissett plays a style that works in college and will struggle in the NFL. Taking steps foward for him is going to involve a few steps backwards as he completely relearns what it is to be an NFL quarterback. Expecting that process to be completed in 2 live games and 1 offseason is literally insane. You cannot even judge Jacoby Brissett fairly on what he is right now because what he is right now is a work that has just barely begun to be in process.

Last edited:
Way too many more valuable uses for that roster spot than carrying the dead weight of a 3rd QB when you have Brady and Garoppolo on the roster.

Especially for a QB that has been mediocre at best. He's athletic and can run, but his pass accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

Right now, he is a poor man's Tyrod Taylor, you dont use a roster spot on a 3rd QB like that

A lot of people seemingly oblivious to how hard it is to develop a QB of even average ability. The QB scene could look very very different in just 12 months time - even if it is just Jimmy G that leaves then we need a guy who has been in the system for a few years as back up to Tom.

Unless you think the Patriots are going to be able to draft someone next year and have him immediately be better than Brissett.

Way too many more valuable uses for that roster spot than carrying the dead weight of a 3rd QB when you have Brady and Garoppolo on the roster.

Especially for a QB that has been mediocre at best. He's athletic and can run, but his pass accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

Right now, he is a poor man's Tyrod Taylor, you dont use a roster spot on a 3rd QB like that

Normally, I'd agree with that position. However you keep Bisquick (1) IF the coaches think his potential ceiling could reach QB2, since one of the big 2 will be leaving in 2018, and (2) Because TFB at 40 is potentially at higher risk of injury AND JAG has yet to show that he's durable enough for week after week NFL play.

Brissett remains the 3rd team guy until somebody better comes along. He really doesn't fit the Partiots scheme.

A lot of people seemingly oblivious to how hard it is to develop a QB of even average ability. The QB scene could look very very different in just 12 months time - even if it is just Jimmy G that leaves then we need a guy who has been in the system for a few years as back up to Tom.

Unless you think the Patriots are going to be able to draft someone next year and have him immediately be better than Brissett.

Garoppolo
Hoyer
Cassel
Mallett
Brissett

and some like to ignore the steady conveyor belt of mid round picks that get turned into viable back ups for 2-4 years then are dumped off.

- Cassel went on to KC and led them to the playoffs
- Hoyer went to CLE and actually got them to 7-9, then went to Houston and won the AFC South
- Mallett looked solid when he got a chance in Houston. derailed by a torn pec
- Garoppolo needs no explanation
- Brissett has good arm strength, poor QB'ing, won us a game

Point being, the Patriots are very good at finding "good enough" QBs in the draft and routinely take guys every 3 years or so. There is no need to keep a 3rd QB on the active roster unless they are a star in the making, which Brissett is not.

Brissett is easily behind Brady and Jimmy. He is going to the practice squad.

The Patriots can find QB's that can bridge us til Brady returns.

That changes when there is no more Brady. And at 40 YO, that moment could sneak up on us all of a sudden. At that point you're looking for your next leader, and that guy is probably not on our roster right now.

This is why we're working with Brissett. He's a longish term project with good assets and mechanical flaws, that we have the luxury to try and develop right now, and might not have that luxury later on.

Jacoby Brissett doesn't just have NFL arm strength. He also has an NFL head and does not make a lot of mental mistakes on the field, has been praised repeatedly in his limited playing time for possessing very solid leadership skills on the field, and is known to be able to maintain his level of play in high pressure situations. If you can build an NFL level knowledge base onto that, and work on this guy's mechanics, he could be something.

Even Brissett's bad game was impressive in a way because it illuminates his character. Between Brissett and Garoppolo, both with severely limiting injuries on their throwing arm (Garoppolo with a busted shoulder, Brisset with a broken thumb), it was Brissett that wanted the ball. The kid's got a ton of character and a good head on his shoudlers as well as a strong arm. Hopefully the rest can be sorted out with practice. I can see exactly why BB is taking the trouble to work with this kid. He's got a very good foundation of talent, character, and grace under fire. They just need to break him down a bit and fix some bad habits.

Sacrificing our quarterback depth by jettisoning a low-risk, moderate-to-high reward project, in order to keep some second string scrub at another position is the definition of the old phrase, "penny wise, pound foolish."

Jacoby Brissett doesn't just have NFL arm strength. He also has an NFL head and does not make a lot of mental mistakes on the field, has been praised repeatedly in his limited playing time for possessing very solid leadership skills on the field, and is known to be able to maintain his level of play in high pressure situations. If you can build an NFL level knowledge base onto that, and work on this guy's mechanics, he could be something.

I'm not seeing any of that. In fact, Saturday he was looking like a deer in the headlights. There was a shot of his face with helmet on, I almost felt sorry for the guy, then I remembered I can't feel sorry for a young and healthy guy that after a few years will have more money than I will achieve in my life time.

It is what it is, the guy can fill in and hold the fort for a couple games.

JimmyG came in NFL ready, he looked very good from the get go, to the point BB traded Mallet for 2 buds and a bag of doritos. Let's not forget that week 4 game against Kansas City, the turning point game in 2014, BB benched Tom in the end of the game, Jimmy drove the offense down the field and threw a touchdown. It was no surprise he was playing really well last year, his 3rd year. He was ready since year 1. Brissett is so far from that level of playing there is no comparison.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any of that. In fact, Saturday he was looking like a deer in the headlights. There was a shot of his face with helmets on, I almost felt sorry for the guy, then I remembered I can't feel sorry for a young and healthy guy that after a few years will have more money than I will achieve in my life time.

It is what it is, the guy can fill in and hold the fort for a couple games.

JimmyG came in NFL ready, he looked very good from the get go, to the point BB traded Mallet for 2 buds and a bag of doritos. Let's not forget that week 4 game against Kansas City, the turning point game in 2014, BB benched Tom in the end of the game, Jimmy drove the offense down the field and threw a touchdown. It was no surprise he was playing really well last year, his 3rd year. He was ready since year 1. Brissett is so far from that level of playing there is no comparison.

thats the problem....Brissett has reached binky status here

I'm not seeing any of that. In fact, Saturday he was looking like a deer in the headlights.

That's because all you can see is the guy on the field at the moment.

Again, it's that whole "project" concept that a lot of Pats fans seem pathologically incapable of wrapping their heads around.

Hell let's compare it to another kind of project. Ever work on a project car? When you see the rustbucket on blocks are you seeing a few hundred dollars worth of scrap metal? Or are you seeing what a lot of hard work can turn that rustbucket into? If it's the former, you haven't worked on a project car in your life and probably never will.

I see a lot of you have the mindset that a rustbucket is a rustbucket and that's all it ever can be, and with that attitude, you're right. Fortunately Belichick is not quite so lazy and unimaginative.

Brissett has problems with his mechanics and accuracy and is working hard to learn the offensive playbook while at the same time breaking down his mechanics and adjusting to a new way of playing quarterback. He's the rustbucket on the block right now. Of course he looks like he has problems right now, he's reinventing himself, so he legit has problems right now. Good thing BB is smart enough to judge him based on what the work they're putting into him is going to make him into, rather than the mess that's on the field at the moment.

One of the thousands of moments over the last decade and a half where I was very glad the team is not being run by the collectie will of the fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back