PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jabrill Peppers signs with N.E.

Hopefully he will be good to go at camp ?.....Honestly this type of signing does give me hope that BB will slowly pull together a team of experienced vets and with a good draft we will have the makings of a good team. Still plenty of time.

Reports came out late yesterday that he'll be ready for the start of training camp which is great news.
Cousin,
It's a matter of speed IMO. Our defensive liability was lack of it.

If there’s any singular player that contains the fighting spirit and energy required to be a great NFL player, it is safety Jabrill Peppers.

Wink Martindale is new Giants defensive cordinator

"Peppers may actually be a perfect player in Martindale’s system, showcasing energy and physicality as a blitzer and run defender. At 5-foot-11 and 213 pounds, Peppers doesn’t have the big frame you’d like for a middle linebacker, coming in about 20 pounds lighter and 3 inches shorter than Blake Martinez.

However, Martindale deployed linebacker Patrick Queen with the Baltimore Ravens, standing at a similar height compared to Peppers but also about 20 pounds heavier. If Peppers can add a bit more weight onto his frame, he could make the transition to a linebacker role instead of strong safety.

James Bettcher coined the term “money-backer,” a more versatile LB who can drop into coverage and act as a hybrid safety. Given Peppers’ underrated physicality and speed attacking the offensive backfield, Martindale could see him as an asset moving forward."

Adrian Phillips lined up as an OLB many occasions.

I can see the Pats dropping Judon to DE and putting in Peppers as a OLB behind him.

Is this a new defense mad scientist Bill is experimenting on to get speed on the field? You still need bigger LB speed. McGrone has that speed but is he a player? IRL last year. Loved Van Noy and Hightower but the fingers were pointing at them. Collins was not the same either. He did not age well.

You need to Draft one perhaps two LB with speed Muma is a no brainer for Bill. But even better might be Leo Chanal with a 4.53 40 and 40" vertical from Wisconsin. Perhaps in round 3 or 4 you Draft Troy Anderson 4.42 40 yard dash.

How about a fast DL in Logan Hall?

DW Toys

Peppers wasn't on my radar, but we need reliable tacklers with speed. He seems to fit the bill. I would like to see a veteran dt that is stout against the run becomes available at some point. Someone like Suh would be ideal.

Could the infamous 4 safety defense that failed due to personnel be returning with better personnel?
Even if all 4 aren't on the field that much together. 3 of them will be on the field at the same time often enough for it to make sense to have 4 good capable of it.

Even if all 4 aren't on the field that much together. 3 of them will be on the field at the same time often enough for it to make sense to have 4 good capable of it.
Agreed.
I just think back to 2017ish when he created the 4 safety defense, apparently specifically designed to deal with teams with schemes like the Chiefs (3 wr, te who is really a 4th wr, and a RB used heavily in the passing game) as a new innovation.
But the 4 were McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards.
NFL offenses are resembling that scheme more than ever, so maybe it comes back with better personnel.
Cover the Gs with big DTs. Play edge guys on the T, and cut them loose.
LB in the middle. 2 of the safeties play LBish roles and are responsible for the edge on outside runs using speed rather than size, making the edge guys more disruptive.
When they throw instead of 4 dbs and 3 lbs covering you have 6 dbs.

I don’t think it would work as a base because those safeties will get beaten up, but as a package, and to scheme against certain teams and looks, it has promise. .

Last edited:
Agreed.
I just think back to 2017ish when he created the 4 safety defense, apparently specifically designed to deal with teams with schemes like the Chiefs (3 wr, te who is really a 4th wr, and a RB used heavily in the passing game) as a new innovation.
But the 4 were McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards.
NFL offenses are resembling that scheme more than ever, so maybe it comes back with better personnel.
Cover the Gs with big DTs. Play edge guys on the T, and cut them loose.
LB in the middle. 2 of the safeties play LBish roles and are responsible for the edge on outside runs using speed rather than size, making the edge guys more disruptive.
When they throw instead of 4 dbs and 3 lbs covering you have 6 dbs.

I don’t think it would work as a base because those safeties will get beaten up, but as a package, and to scheme against certain teams and looks, it has promise. .
For some reason this reminds of that Nintendo hockey game where you set your starting lineups size. I always went all bigs.

The only reason to have 4 safeties and 2 CB in coverage is if your S are better than your CBs in coverage. Why replace a slot CB w/ a S, specially when in our case it's JJones. At this point we have:

CBs:
Butler
Mills
JJones
Mitchell
SloJuan
Wade

S:
McCourty
Phillips
Dugger
Peppers
Bledsoe
Bryant

I think Peppers will be used against 2-1, 1-2 & 2-2 personnel instead of 1-1 personnel. From what I've read, he seems to be better suited against the run & blitzes than in coverage.

For some reason this reminds of that Nintendo hockey game where you set your starting lineups size. I always went all bigs.

The aptly named Ice Hockey. The best part of that game was when your guys got in a fight, only the loser of the fight went to the penalty box (or was that in Blades of Steel?)

The only reason to have 4 safeties and 2 CB in coverage is if your S are better than your CBs in coverage. Why replace a slot CB w/ a S, specially when in our case it's JJones. At this point we have:

CBs:
Butler
Mills
JJones
Mitchell
SloJuan
Wade

S:
McCourty
Phillips
Dugger
Peppers
Bledsoe
Bryant

I think Peppers will be used against 2-1, 1-2 & 2-2 personnel instead of 1-1 personnel. From what I've read, he seems to be better suited against the run & blitzes than in coverage.
You play an extra safety instead of a nickel corner to beef up against the run.
The scheme is very light to start with. The 3 big safeties we have can play the run a whole lot better than a small corner like Jones.

Last edited:
You okay an extra safety instead of a nickel corner to beef up against the run.
The scheme is very light to start with. The 3 big safeties we have can play the run a whole lot better than a small corner like Jones.
Right but against 1-1 personnel does the O have enough beef to worry about it enough to drop your slot corner?

Right but against 1-1 personnel does the O have enough beef to worry about it enough to drop your slot corner?
I am not saying it’s a base. I’m speculating about how BB would use the scheme based upon how he used it when he first created it and his the new personnel could impact that.
It’s basically a dime, so if you run it on early downs you are replacing 2 lbs from a 34 or 43 with dbs. Those DBs have to be able to defend the run if you are treating them like LBs.
Belichick has put safeties on slot receivers before.
In my vision of this you are covering the Gs and Ts to leverage the small fast “linebackers” and keeping fat guys off of them. So if I need a guy to set the edge and force a rb inside, I want Dugger, Phillips or Peppers doing that, not jones.
Im not playing man out of this on 3rd and long.

Times have changed…we need faster LB’s and SS’s. The bigger and slower LB’s can’t get to the ball or cover quick enough anyway. At least the smaller faster guys can get to the ball and have a fighting chance to make a play.

The aptly named Ice Hockey. The best part of that game was when your guys got in a fight, only the loser of the fight went to the penalty box (or was that in Blades of Steel?)
I think the fighting was blades of steel

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back