It's the Bye Week; time to assess positions going forward. OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll put the OL in another thread.

If Brady decides to play in 2020, we have seem to have skilled players signed for 2020. Cap money will be tight. I could see us doing little other than signing a FA WR (Dorsett) and a FA TE.

QB: Brady, Stidham

RB: Michel, White, Harris, Bulkhead, Bolden

FB: Develin, Johnson (Jacob)

TE: LeCosse, Izzo

WR: Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Meyers, Olszewski

I would like to see another WR , this time one that can get downfield and win the ball.....but is that the type of receiver Brady would want/need....or just be on the team if Brady retires ?

Obviously Tight end is the big area of need.

Obviously Tight end is the big area of need.

I agree...but at the same time we will never get any better at TE than we were with Gronk. I'd prefer us to focus on blocking TE's or a TE that can make an occasional play now and then...then look for upgrades elsewhere on offense (WR or OL).

We are on to the Eagles

Questions about Stidham and Olszewski may arise in the pre-season... that is, given Brady returns. If not, a whole new ballgame around QB.

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Meyers [I want us to re-sign Dorsett].

I'm fine with adding a WR. We never seem to have enough. As far as "upgrade", this sounds like you expect us to spend money to sign a #2 WR. I don't think that this will (or should) happen.

I agree...but at the same time we will never get any better at TE than we were with Gronk. I'd prefer us to focus on blocking TE's or a TE that can make an occasional play now and then...then look for upgrades elsewhere on offense (WR or OL).

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Meyers [I want us to re-sign Dorsett].

I'm fine with adding a WR. We never seem to have enough. As far as "upgrade", this sounds like you expect us to spend money to sign a #2 WR. I don't think that this will (or should) happen.
I’d be fine with resigning Dorsett if he comes cheap but that’s it. He is a #4 receiver.

We are on to the Eagles

Yes, but we do have a bye week so we need something to discuss.

I agree with Ashley, TE is the biggest need of these positions. We're fine at running back. Sanu and Edelman will be back and Harry and Myers will be improving. Perhaps, Gunner too. Jakob might be a nice protege of Develin. Our TE's stink or are old. Here's Walter Football's TE rankings for next draft. WalterFootball.com: 2020 NFL Draft: Tight End Rankings. I don't see much there. Maybe, TB will be more open to trading Howard.

For another thread I guess, but Thuney leaving may be the biggest hole to fill. (outside of possibly the GOAT).

They're fine at QB. Fine at RB. Fine at WR. Weak at TE. OL needs help.

They're not getting any help at TE. Just no avenue for it really. OL will get help when Wynn returns. Even though WR is fine, they should be getting help when Harry gets up to speed.

That's.....pretty much about it.

TE is a major concern going forward. Draft one. Or, pay through the nose for Howard. But what they have is probably the worst in the league. For WR, give Tampa a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Mike Evans. Guy is a beast. Is that a huge overpayment? Yes. But it's not as if the recent drafts have produced much anyways.

Draft or sign a left tackle. Sorry but a 2018 first rounder has seen one game in two years. That's unacceptable.

Kicker will need to be evaluated. Especially with Gostkowski coming off his injury.

Need a legit run stuffer. Haven't had one since Wilfork left. Really surprised he wasn't re-signed after SB 49.

QB is obvious. Maybe try and grab a journeyman QB if available for next season. Draft one in 2020

Need a fullback. Especially with Devlin coming off a serious injury.

Obviously it's impossible to fill out all of these needs in one offseason. But this roster (Particularly on offense) has many holes to fill as is.

Last edited:
Interesting, if unnecessary thread. But its the bye week so what can be better than pure speculation so I'll add my 2 cents. It's a lot better than doing all the other things I SHOULD be doing. ;)

OL - Let's not forget that we will likely have Frodholt, Cajuste, and Andrews coming back, besides the 2 guys we will draft and Elumanor. I think that will make Thuney and his future $10-12/yr cap number expendable. Too bad. He's a good one.

So we COULD have a 2020 OL of Wynn, Frodholt, Andrews, Mason and Cajuste, with Cannon's very reasonable $6MM cap hit a possibility. Which would depend greatly on how Cajuste looks. That RT thought is just a possibility.

WR- For a change that is likely to be a stable situation with the first 4 guys (Sanu, Edelman, Harry, and Dorsett) being locks, and Meyers needing to beat out whatever guys they draft or sign. Gunner will have this year to tell his grandkids about along with a possible ring, but I don't think it will be too hard to upgrade from him.

TE- Here's the thing. I REALLY believe that there is better than 50-50 chance that Gronk returns as long as the league legalizes CBD therapy as a pain option. That not only solve the TE issue it makes it once again into an asset. Though I think that this Gronk will want his role to be more like Kelce's than what it was before.

Draft a young TE and let him beat out Izzo for the 3rd TE role and we will be pretty well set with Gronk, Lacosse, and draft pick. I'd ride with that group.

RB- Like CB, we got TOO many. Rex is likely to be the odd man out because he costs more than the minimum. They bring in Harris and the transition might very well be an upgrade.

QB- I'm putting the chances of Brady returning at 75%. The real estate dealings mean nothing, and I wonder about just where he would want to go. The only thing I would wonder about would be if Josh and he went as a package. But I doubt that because only bad teams fire their coaches and Brady isn't going to a rebuild even with Josh. I put that at 5%. So there is a 2o% chance of a pure retirement.

BTW- Based on what I saw, I'd be OK with Stidham. With a good defense, I think he'd be good enough to win at least 9 or 10 games

The offense is going to be fantastic in 3-4 weeks with Wynn fully back in the fold. The offensive line will improve greatly by replacing the weakest link with Wynn who has done a great job in both run and pass blocking.

I believe Harry will effectively replace Gordon's production this year at X receiver. A few catches a game from that position and with Edelman, Sanu and Dorsett.....whats not to love?

TE is not working out to well for us except for Watson...who is probably a little rusty .... but he is playing above average even at 38 years old...he can still block and catch. Izzo and LaCosse are not playing that well and I don't think should be trusted in any facet of the game this year. I do happen to believe they intent to sign Dwayne Allen once he is healthy again...which would be a huge boost in terms of blocking.

Once Wynn is back and Allen is signed (I hope)....we will once again see Sony run well consistently like last year. Throw in a couple receptions a game and we will keep defenses on they're heels.

I believe the offense will be just as productive as last year IF we don't suffer any major injuries and things work out as mentioned. I'm excited to see our offense the last 4-5 games of the season and throughout the post season.

Last edited:
OL - Let's not forget that we will likely have Frodholt, Cajuste, and Andrews coming back
We hope Andrews is coming back. Sometimes people with blood clot issues like that have to stay on anti-coagulants forever, which would end Andrews's career. Hopefully Andrews doesn't have that kind of a blood clot issue! But you can't just assume he's guaranteed to be back.

We hope Andrews is coming back. Sometimes people with blood clot issues like that have to stay on anti-coagulants forever, which would end Andrews's career. Hopefully Andrews doesn't have that kind of a blood clot issue! But you can't just assume he's guaranteed to be back.
If I'm any indication, blood clot thinners aren't forever (though aspirins apparently are. ;) ). I think it's likely that they he will use serious thinners until the clots that were there are completely "melted". THEN I think he will be put on a more "preventative" version. One which COULD/should allow him to play.

Remember all blood thinners aren't alike. Let's hope I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes