PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trey Lance worth Patriots to trade up to get?

The truth is that nobody can scout QBs worth a crap, beyond filtering out absolute turbo clowns like Christian Hackenberg.*

*Unless you're the Jets lol

I mean Mahomes fell to 10th overall, the fact that teams couldn't tell he was better than *checks notes* MITCHELL TRUBISKY ARE YOU EFFIN KIDDING ME?!?!? says it all about the ability of NFL teams to extrapolate college QB play into the pros. Basically every single team from 1-9 should have taken him if they had any concept of what he actually was, and almost everyone after that should have tried to trade up ahead of the Chiefs to get him too. But of course that didn't happen.

I'm not that fixated on Lance personally, but if the Pats think he can be the guy, they absolutely should go get him, and to be honest they should overpay without blinking unless it's just comical Herschel Walker trade levels of dumb. It's innately a gamble but you miss every shot you don't take.
Technically, the Chiefs got it wrong too. They should have traded up to #1 to take him.

This year is no different than any other recently. It’s what the market is.

If Fields goes 3 then I would prefer Jones to Lance unless I can also get garoppolo.

But this argument reminds me of the guy who goes to the bar looking for women and says none of them are hot enough to waste his time on so he goes home alone every night waiting until the hot one shows up and she never does.

to me this argument reminds me of the guy that marries the first girl dumb enough to **** him

luckily BB is neither of those guys

The chances of a guy you take in the second round becoming a top 10 QB are minute.
The real question is what is a better team. One with a top 10 QB or one that stinks at the QB spot but got to make a couple more draft picks?
If you don’t draft the qb you have little if any chance of ending up with a top one. If you don’t draft one at the top of the first round you have little if any chance of getting one.
Of course QBs are over drafted. They are so important the cost is high. But rather than looking it as requiring a “sure thing” when there really isn’t suck a thing, it should be looked at the other way, if you don’t go get a top prospect (which then becomes your coaching staffs job to develop) it’s pretty much a sure thing you will continue to suck at the most important position, won’t win, and those picks you saved won’t matter any way.

One thing though, *if* there were ever a year where there is a negligible difference between QB#2 (Wilson) and QB#11 (Ehlingler).....it is this year, IMO.

For the Patriots to take a HUGE investment in either Lance or Fields, they need to be SOLD on their potential...and I don't think the Patriots have enough information to take that kind of risk. We are almost better off trading our 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder in 2022....then take QB#6-QB#11 in rounds 3 or 4....ride it out with Cam. Then go into the 2022 draft armed with two firsts and far more information on all prospects.

This feels like it’s going to end up like the last draft where everyone knew we needed a WR and there was a solid WR class and we were passive and watched them all get taken and traded out and settled on project TE’s. I feel like the only way to get a worthwhile QB is to be aggressive and they won’t, so they’ll settle for a project who won’t pan out.

to me this argument reminds me of the guy that marries the first girl dumb enough to **** him

No he would be marrying the first awesome girl he can get his hands on. But keeping the analogy, better to have a girl and get divorced than be alone for ever.

So your argument is the name a bunch of total dissimilar players and say what if he is them? What if parsons is mantei te’o, Brandon spikes, David Pollack or Shawn crable?
We have to get a QB. Taking one with no shot in the second round is just wasting a second round pick.
What you say could be true, but then not Cousin. You obviously like the young man.
In my post I also said I would not have a problem if they Drafted him, but I am of the school who says if we give away expensive wampum with picks for a player with 11 starts or a player who plays for Ohio State who has an impressive list of Pro players other than QB......THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ONE SUCCESSFUL NFL QB, it might not be prudent.
Why are you convinced Lance is a sure thing versus a second rounder? Just curious.
My reasoning: If they give up multiple picks and the kid is a bust, they would be losing say a single pick at #15 if say Parsons is a bust.
These are all kids, Who knows.

Trubiski had arm talent and said all the right things and up to now, a bust. Same is true on Mariota. How many picks did they trade for Trubiski just to move one slot?

If they go up to get Lance, I am thrilled because they actually did so. All I am saying is weigh the costs.
DW Toys

Matt Ryan is 36. I can realistically see them taking him at 4 assuming Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields go 1-2-3. Either that, or they could trade out of that spot for a team that needs a QB, and Lance could go there. If neither of those happens, the Patriots need to be on the phone with Detroit for the 7th pick immediately.
If there is a run on QB’s, which is a likely case, then Belichick will go BPA or trade down and take a QB like Kellen Mond. He’s not going to over pay to move up out of desperation.
I would love to see Jones there at #15 but that looks unlikely, I would love Parsons at that spot but I if they can trade back in the first and add a top half of the second they could get a number of really good players in the first 3 rounds. They could address QB, WR, and DL with really good prospects.

One thing though, *if* there were ever a year where there is a negligible difference between QB#2 (Wilson) and QB#11 (Ehlingler).....it is this year, IMO.

For the Patriots to take a HUGE investment in either Lance or Fields, they need to be SOLD on their potential...and I don't think the Patriots have enough information to take that kind of risk. We are almost better off trading our 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder in 2022....then take QB#6-QB#11 in rounds 3 or 4....ride it out with Cam. Then go into the 2022 draft armed with two firsts and far more information on all prospects.
Interesting post.

If BB thinks he is..

If Belichick thinks he’s a franchise QB then absolutely yes. You trade whatever picks necessary to solidify the most important position on the field.
I tend to agree with this approach to the question, but in the light of the "approach is changing" Kraft remarks, I wonder whether Belichick is still the sole authority.

Imunno. I mean, I'm guessing yes, but it's the off-season. Why not chum the waters.

What you say could be true, but then not Cousin. You obviously like the young man.
In my post I also said I would not have a problem if they Drafted him, but I am of the school who says if we give away expensive wampum with picks for a player with 11 starts or a player who plays for Ohio State who has an impressive list of Pro players other than QB......THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ONE SUCCESSFUL NFL QB, it might not be prudent.
Why are you convinced Lance is a sure thing versus a second rounder? Just curious.
My reasoning: If they give up multiple picks and the kid is a bust, they would be losing say a single pick at #15 if say Parsons is a bust.
These are all kids, Who knows.

Trubiski had arm talent and said all the right things and up to now, a bust. Same is true on Mariota. How many picks did they trade for Trubiski just to move one slot?

If they go up to get Lance, I am thrilled because they actually did so. All I am saying is weigh the costs.
DW Toys
Who played qb at Ohio State before Fields has nothing to do with Fields.

A lot of QBs bust. The problem is the ones who don’t, especially in this era, are guys drafted in the top half of the first round.

You have to have a qb. There is pretty much no other way that comes anywhere near as likely as drafting a consensus top 15 pick.
The alternative is to say it’s too costly and end up never having a top qb and never winning.
If you can’t win without a QB what good are those picks if you don’t have one.
Show me a more effective way and im all for it but leaving the most important position to a 1 in 50 shot on day 2 is a bad plan.

If there is a run on QB’s, which is a likely case, then Belichick will go BPA or trade down and take a QB like Kellen Mond. He’s not going to over pay to move up out of desperation.
I would love to see Jones there at #15 but that looks unlikely, I would love Parsons at that spot but I if they can trade back in the first and add a top half of the second they could get a number of really good players in the first 3 rounds. They could address QB, WR, and DL with really good prospects.
Have people really watched Mond. I heard all the buzz but watched a couple of his games and came away sort of disappointed.

This year was out of norm to sign so many "better" players in FA, rather than scrubs and see if they stick.

That said, I would hope that the out of norm continues in 1st round and trade up, IF Trey is within target.

I think he would sit behind Cam for 1 or 2 yrs and learn. He is just 20yrs old. So, 2yrs learning is not an issue.

From reading all the analysts review of him, he is mature for his age and is cool in the pocket.

Have people really watched Mond. I heard all the buzz but watched a couple of his games and came away sort of disappointed.

Me too. He has some issues that may not be fixable. Initially, I thought he could be a good choice as a 2nd fiddle.
Now, not too sure.

Interesting that McDaniels keeping contact with Mond. Hope that is not a sign of things to come...

I think the issue with this is ultimately that you can't just say "I think he could be the guy, but I don't want to do what it takes to get him because he might not be". For all we know Trevor Lawrence could bust. Andrew Luck was considered a can't miss prospect and he had 3-4 good years then had injury issues the rest of the way and finally retired. You can always play what if.

However, the reality is that at some point one of two things are going to happen. You are either going to keep finding reasons not to give up the capital to get your guy and keep missing out on him OR you likely are just going to finally implode and have a dog of a season and get a high enough pick to get him.

Now if Bill doesn't think any of them can be the guy, then fine. But if he does, he's probably unlikely to get some premier players that are equal to one franchise QB who pans out if he's right.

It’s not desperation it’s the price you have to pay to fill a gaping hemorrhaging hole in your roster.
Making the move you need to make to contenders again is not desperation.

This year was out of norm to sign so many "better" players in FA, rather than scrubs and see if they stick.

That said, I would hope that the out of norm continues in 1st round and trade up, IF Trey is within target.

I think he would sit behind Cam for 1 or 2 yrs and learn. He is just 20yrs old. So, 2yrs learning is not an issue.

From reading all the analysts review of him, he is mature for his age and is cool in the pocket.
Did you just say newton will be here TWO more years? I just threw up on my mouth. 2 games is too many.

No he would be marrying the first awesome girl he can get his hands on. But keeping the analogy, better to have a girl and get divorced than be alone for ever.
If you get divorced you automatically lose 50% of your salary cap.
Plus she gets the inside of the house. We get the outside.

I do get your analogy scared money never wins. And we need a win a QB badly

Totally disagree.
The risk of trading up is the qb flood and you lost some picks. The risk of not trading up is you have more crappy QBs play and never won again. If you won’t do it this year, you won’t ever do it and we are destined to play QBs like newton who are only here because no other team even wants them.
The risk of not trading up is much greater than the risk of trading up and it’s not even a risk if you don’t it’s a certainty.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back