Is this the greatest defense in the 16 game era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rank these 2010s Ds.

2019 Patriots
2019 49ers
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks

Is there any other D you think deserves to be put in this class in the 2010s?

1. 2015 Broncos - Super Bowl 50 winner
2. 2013 Seahawks - Super Bowl 48 winner
3. 2019 Patriots - fate to be determined
4. 2019 49ers - fate to be determined

I'm loving this D. Been a believer since Week 1. But to be with the GOAT they need to close the deal.

It's that simple.

Yup, no one will remember this D if they get bounced early...

They just said the 49ers pass defense is set to set a record during the broadcast
100 yards ahead of us going into today.

Rank these 2010s Ds.

2019 Patriots
2019 49ers
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks

Through 11 games the Patriots would be #1, but the postseason means way more than the regular season so we are probably about 1/4 of the way to that answer.

Rank these 2010s Ds.

2019 Patriots
2019 49ers
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks

This year’s Bills are probably as good as the Niners. There are three very dominant defenses.

Remember all the consternation and hand wringing when BB broke the bank over Stephon Gilmore... that all seems a tad shortsighted.

The equalizer is BB and his defensive mensa society...

Can't possibly answer this question until we see how they close out the season. I don't mean a SB win but just keeping up their level of play. I could very easily see us losing in the playoffs because the offense just can't put up any points.

I recall hearing during the game that the Cowboy's had the 14th position that made it into the Patriots Red Zone this season (14 times in 11 games seems impressive). A huge departure from the days of "Bend, but don't break". I'm loving every time the D is on the field.

Regardless of the picture of the Patriots offense, you still have to believe that any given game, the Patriots offense can make something happen.

How quickly we’ve all moved on from getting blown off the field by the ravens

How quickly we’ve all moved on from getting blown off the field by the ravens

Every great defense had a bad game. The test will be how they respond if they meet again. I think we will struggle again, because the Ravens are built to neutralize our advantage in the secondary, however, if we can beat them and hold them in the 20s and win the SB nobody will remember week 9

100 yards ahead of us going into today.
Games aren’t won on yards. They have given up 50 points more than the Pats

No, but they are obviously much improved and doing well through 11 games. If they can somehow keep it up and make a deep playoff run, this idea may have merit. As of now, we have at least a few other options who are better choices.

The Patriots are on pace to give up 170 points this season, better than all except the 2000 Baltimore Ravens (165 points given up). Provided that they complete this season at this current pace, I would say yes, they are the greatest defense in NFL history, considering that it is much tougher to play defense in the current NFL compared to a decade ago.

Games aren’t won on yards. They have given up 50 points more than the Pats

IMO not giving up many points is great, but for the most part if you don't give up the yards you don't up the points.

Last edited:
IMO not giving up many points is great, but if you don't give up the yards you don't up the points.

I think you should check out the yards on our scoring drives yesterday.

I think you should check out the yards on our scoring drives yesterday.

Yesterday was not normal conditions. Dallas played well on defense holding Brady to 181 yards passing and the RBs to 101 yards. Their defense didn't lead to a ton of points on our part, just 1 TD and 3 FGs (could have been a few more, I realize).

They just played the #1 offense and held them to 9.

Dallas is a bogus #1 Offense who got exposed this Defense couldn't stop Jackson and that Raven two headed rushing attack. The owned us in Time and possession 37 to 22 too I think the Ravens are the real #1 Offense.

The Patriots are on pace to give up 170 points this season, better than all except the 2000 Baltimore Ravens (165 points given up). Provided that they complete this season at this current pace, I would say yes, they are the greatest defense in NFL history, considering that it is much tougher to play defense in the current NFL compared to a decade ago.
28 of those would have been given up by the offense/special teams :(. It’s still way more impressive doing this in 2019 than 2000 though

lets win a championship and discuss. until the d wins us a championship its just above average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes