PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the greatest defense in the 16 game era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper652

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If it is, better start comparing it to the 77 Falcons and 76 Steelers

Best pass D I’ve seen. Especially in a passing era.

Yes it is. The 2000 Ravens played in a more defensive oriented environment. Patriots have given up 117 points but what, 28 from the offense/special teams? And before anyone says anything about schedule, look at who the 2000 Ravens played. Not exactly a murders row.

Too early to tell. If they win the Super Bowl, then maybe.

And the run D is ranked 10th overall.

They just played the #1 offense and held them to 9.
By yards, def not the best offense but they are a very good one. That was a big time performance, especially on the run defense.

By yards, def not the best offense but they are a very good one. That was a big time performance, especially on the run defense.
They were number 1 in DVOA by a good margin

Reactions: ALP
No idea, but they're really awesome. I can't wait for the Chiefs game to see what it looks like. They're going to need to continue to play this way, though, because the offense is simply what it is and that's not a very talented group, even when guys return from injury.

Yes.

The Boogeymen are for real.

I guess, I’d put Baltimore above them. But regardless, very good offense.

Baltimore has been the best for the past month by DVOA.

Baltimore has been the best for the past month by DVOA.
Chiefs also missed Mahomes for a few games, bet it skewed things for them.

Best pass D of this (post '06 rules changes) era definitely

Maybe the best and deepest secondary I've ever seen. Especially considering how much man and cover 0 they've played. Pats have some really good front 7 players( lb corps could be the best in the NFL) and the DL is solid, but the secondary is what makes the D go.

Both 14-game schedule.

Falcons best D since WWII. Assistant coach Jerry Glanville's Grits Blitz. Steve Grogan picked three times at Fulton County Stadium, but hit Stanley Morgan for late game winning TD, Pats won 16-10. Atlanta, no playoffs.

'76 Steelers not good to start season, also lost to Pats at home; then not good in playoff finale.

And when this defense actually gets to play with any kind of comfortable lead, which we haven’t seen much lately, watch out. Then they really dictate what happens.

Last edited:
If it is, better start comparing it to the 77 Falcons and 76 Steelers
If we can continue to play at this level AND find a way to stifle Baltimore in the playoffs on a way to a Super Bowl victory, then maybe we'll be the best.

But for now let's not get ahead of things.

They just said the 49ers pass defense is set to set a record during the broadcast

Rank these 2010s Ds.

2019 Patriots
2019 49ers
2015 Broncos
2013 Seahawks

Is there any other D you think deserves to be put in this class in the 2010s?

I'm loving this D. Been a believer since Week 1. But to be with the GOAT they need to close the deal.

It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back