PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is The Offense ALMOST Set (Except For Backup OL's and Possible Trades)?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know that we might trade a WR and/or Wynn, thus opening up a spot or two. My hope is that we sign a veteran OG and/or OT. Onwenu could be our emergency 4th OT.

OFFENSE (25)
QB (3) Jones, Hoyer, Zappe
WR (6) Parker, Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Thornton, Slater
TE (3) Henry, Smith, Asiasi
RB (4) Harris, Stevenson, Montgomery, Strong
OL (9) Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Wynn, Cajuste, Ferentz, open, open (Herron and Hambright most likely for now)

We know that those 5 receivers are set, I doubt there is a trade, especially with Tyquan and Wilkerson out for a little while. One player to keep an eye on over the next week is Lil Jordan. I have heard that he is ascending the depth chart and may have passed Nixon. The question is do we go into the season with 5 wr or 6, especially with Tyquan out for about month or two.

Yes, I know that we might trade a WR and/or Wynn, thus opening up a spot or two. My hope is that we sign a veteran OG and/or OT. Onwenu could be our emergency 4th OT.

OFFENSE (25)
OL (9) Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Wynn, Cajuste, Ferentz, open, open (Herron and Hambright most likely for now)
I want a replacement for Frerentz, PS good spot for him. Maybe Russey.

We should try to trade for Lance Mcutechon on the Rams he should be on someone’s 53.

I wouldn’t rule out a trade for a tight end to upgrade AsiAsi.
Would love a move for some oline depth improvement or someone to compete with a starter.

We should try to trade for Lance Mcutechon on the Rams he should be on someone’s 53.

I wouldn’t rule out a trade for a tight end to upgrade AsiAsi.
Would love a move for some oline depth improvement or someone to compete with a starter.
I thought it was interesting the other night that BB mentioned Lil Jordan as potentially being a hybrid TE. I thought though that Asasi had his best game as a Pat.

I want a replacement for Frerentz, PS good spot for him. Maybe Russey.
We all do, Belichick hasn't found one, and he is confident with Ferentz on a below minimum contract.

Yes, I know that many posters think that Belichick will trust Russey in that role. I am a "no" on that idea, although I think that belichick could certainly sign a backup C/OG.

Last edited:

OFFENSE (25)
I know you did a "yes I know" about trades. But re: WR, but let me go another layer down here including the IR thing.

WR (6) Parker, Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Thornton*, Slater (if there is nowhere else to get that ST slot)
*- Thornton slot is a one-day placeholder; on/around 8/31, Thornton to IR; Wilkerson to IR; both designated to return. Humphrey or Nixon to revised post-8/31 53-man roster
- My guesswork used to tend toward Bourne being a lock to be traded. Now I think It's either that or the opposite of that. Conversely, I would still not be surprised to see one or more trades out of that top 4. Young guys are cheaper. We appear to have younger guys who can carry a lot of the load. Plus I have a fetish about having Humphrey and Nixon on the field at the same time.
-OL - I'm a great believer that as a unit they're the most important piece out there. I can be thrilled about every "Skill player" but the big uglies will win or lose every play without much fanfare. We need continuity here more than most years. I think Hambright should be in.

Another WR will make the team with Thornton out.

I hear you, and disagree. I think that the 4 top WR's active is plenty until Thornton is ready to come back Now, if someone is traded, then there are more options.

I hear you, and disagree. I think that the 4 top WR's active is plenty until Thornton is ready to come back Now, if someone is traded, then there are more options.

I agree with mgteich. As mentioned in another thread, Montgomery is a WR, and Asiasi can play in-line allowing Henry or Smith to kick outside as a receiver.

I'm puzzled by the Kody Russey positivity. He got pretty bad reviews pre-draft, and didn't make most top 10 centers lists. Lots of comments like this lifted from a draft site that seem to be the opposite of what the Pats are looking for:
  • Not explosive in any aspect. Lacks the quickness to redirect and handle cut blocks. Unable to complete most combo blocks. Gets an initial shove at the line but doesn't move the second target. Poor body control and lacks accuracy blocking on the move.
  • Lacks lateral agility, flexibility and footwork to start on the outside in the NFL.
  • Not a natural knee-bender and gets too upright. Needs to play with better leverage and stay balanced through contact.
  • Very raw technique, playing with inconsistent hand placement fails to sustain blocks.
  • Struggles to get low enough to maintain leverage. Won't be able to cut more agile NFL linemen because he's not sudden and gathers before lunging.
But apparently he has shown a lot better to the coaching staff? Reiss says he is a possibility to make the 53? The Pats aren't going to take a flyer on a guy who could bring the entire offense to a halt should Andrews be out. So what's happened with regard to the limitations above that were so frequently cited?

I'm puzzled by the Kody Russey positivity. He got pretty bad reviews pre-draft, and didn't make most top 10 centers lists. Lots of comments like this lifted from a draft site that seem to be the opposite of what the Pats are looking for:
  • Not explosive in any aspect. Lacks the quickness to redirect and handle cut blocks. Unable to complete most combo blocks. Gets an initial shove at the line but doesn't move the second target. Poor body control and lacks accuracy blocking on the move.
  • Lacks lateral agility, flexibility and footwork to start on the outside in the NFL.
  • Not a natural knee-bender and gets too upright. Needs to play with better leverage and stay balanced through contact.
  • Very raw technique, playing with inconsistent hand placement fails to sustain blocks.
  • Struggles to get low enough to maintain leverage. Won't be able to cut more agile NFL linemen because he's not sudden and gathers before lunging.
But apparently he has shown a lot better to the coaching staff? Reiss says he is a possibility to make the 53? The Pats aren't going to take a flyer on a guy who could bring the entire offense to a halt should Andrews be out. So what's happened with regard to the limitations above that were so frequently cited?
You just said it. He's held his own in practices and games consistently. I wouldn't play him vs Aaron Donald tomorrow but hes been competent.

Let's be realistic on the expectations we should have for him. He is a backup center/guard. Nothing more and with Ferentz not exactly setting the world on fire at 33 years old and Andrews at 30 it makes sense to keep someone like Russey right now.

I think it's still possible they keep the extra WR rather than Asiasi, especially if Humphrey continues to make a mark on ST. Then they'll stash a 3rd TE (be it Asiasi himself, or Sokol, etc) on the PS, and use gameday elevations if Henry or Smith are dinged up. But that's bottom of the roster churning stuff.

I think it's still possible they keep the extra WR rather than Asiasi, especially if Humphrey continues to make a mark on ST. Then they'll stash a 3rd TE (be it Asiasi himself, or Sokol, etc) on the PS, and use gameday elevations if Henry or Smith are dinged up. But that's bottom of the roster churning stuff.
Exactly, it's almost a guarantee that Asiasi has a better chance of getting on the practice squad than Lil Jordan, Nixon or Wilkerson. I'd still like to find a way to keep him, but if we keep 6 WR, it's going to be very difficult. Then we're talking about cutting players like Bledsoe, Wade, Roberts etc. Those last 3-4 cuts are going to need to be really strategically planned.

Hard to tell. Seemed to hold his own against other backups. Loved his comeback cleanup block. Showed good recognition, reaction, agility and bam bam thank you maam all on one play,

DaBruinz posted RAS comparisons earlier this year to Andrews/Koppen, and on paper he seems pretty explosive enough. The 38 bench is still nuts to me.

Last edited:
Russey looks an awful lot like a young David Andrews to me. Tough, strong, and willing. Both are a bit smaller than I prefer at Center (ala Bryan Stork), but BB seems to value other traits more.

OFFENSE (25)
I think we are pretty much set at the skill positions but both LG (unproven) and RT/RG (whichever Big Mike doesn't play) is a concern as is the overall depth.

I think we are pretty much set at the skill positions but both LG (unproven) and RT/RG (whichever Big Mike doesn't play) is a concern as is the overall depth.
I have no concern for LG. If we can't draft a quality OG in the first round, then we need new scouts. I agree that we have depth issues across the OL.

HOWEVER, let us presume for a moment that we are NOT trading Wynn. In that case we have Cajuste and/or Herron as backup OT's (plus Onwenu). This is NOT a lack of depth

We do indeed need to sign or trade for a veteran backup swing OG. Belichick is fine with Ferentz as our backup OC.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back