PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With No Retirement, Don't We Have Our 9 OL's?

He’s played left tackle as well as right, switching sides had nothing to do with the offensive dysfunction.
So. we moved a very good RT to the left side, and replaced him at RT with a truly horrible RT who never play the postion, and this made NO difference. So, perhaps we should start MdDermott at LT this year. Perhaps that too will have no difference.

The BOTTOM LINE is that there was a huigh difference in effectiveness between
LT Wynn and RT Brown and
LT Brown and RT Wynn

We had a below average LT and a better than average RT
replaced by
an average LT and a horrible RT

So. we moved a very good RT to the left side, and replaced him at RT with a truly horrible RT who never play the postion, and this made NO difference. So, perhaps we should start MdDermott at LT this year. Perhaps that too will have no difference.

The BOTTOM LINE is that there was a huigh difference in effectiveness between
LT Wynn and RT Brown and
LT Brown and RT Wynn

We had a below average LT and a better than average RT
replaced by
an average LT and a horrible RT
We had poor execution at the team level, and everyone was worse off for it.

It’s not that deep, every OT who moved showed the ability to play either side previously. That people think that is a magic power that comes and goes like levels in a video game is funny stuff.

“Do they have enough there?” asks Mike Reiss, referring to OT, after he made mention of Calvin Anderson looking weak against Matthew Judon in the second day of mandatory workouts.

LT is the achilles heel of an otherwise promising Patriots team* in a potentially loaded AFC East division.

They should NOT have moved up to get a gd kicker at 112, giving up 120 to the Jets, who took a Dante-type-special project in Pittsburgh’s LT Carter Warren.

He would have gone much higher if not for his season-ending injury last year.

You’re a little slower to come to this realization, Mike, than some of the posters on Patsfans. But welcome aboard, Mr. Reiss.

* Especially if they find their third down back.

Last edited:
We had poor execution at the team level, and everyone was worse off for it.

It’s not that deep, every OT who moved showed the ability to play either side previously. That people think that is a magic power that comes and goes like levels in a video game is funny stuff.
repeat 10 times
==========
Wynn never showed the ability to play RT.

Anyone see the bloated body of Trent Brown? I think the owner has been more active than the presumed starting LT.

Houston, we have a problem. Calvin Anderson better play well. Maybe by November we’ll have TB back into shape.

We may be forced to have Reiff back up Anderson at LT and Sow do the same at RT with McDermott.

Not good. It may still work. But anyone not worried should have his head examined.

“The Patriots have backed themselves into a corner by not investing in either a top-tier Free Agent OT or drafting one.” ~ Mark Morse

I agree. The pitiful physical condition of Trent Brown needs a reanalysis. We need to do something other than hope TB turns a corner and gets into shape.

It’s already too late for training camp. Will he even be able to do the long run?

Mac gets happy feet and no longer throws accurate balls when under pressure. If he loses confidence in his blind side, our improved offense and better coaching will all be for naught.

“The Patriots have backed themselves into a corner by not investing in either a top-tier Free Agent OT or drafting one.” ~ Mark Morse

I agree. The pitiful physical condition of Trent Brown needs a reanalysis. We need to do something other than hope TB turns a corner and gets into shape.

It’s already too late for training camp. Will he even be able to do the long run?

Mac gets happy feet and no longer throws accurate balls when under pressure. If he loses confidence in his blind side, our improved offense and better coaching will all be for naught.

Yep, and they have a month-1/2 to prepare a contingency plan in case none from the fearsome foursome of Mister Anderson / Reiffer / Brown / McD show themselves worthy of being the Week 1 starting LT of the NEP after TC, scrimmages & preseason... Such a plan should include, but not be limited to (in no particular order):

- trying Strange69 at LT

- trying Double-S at LT

- trading for Jonah Williams

- trading for a different LT

- claiming somebody on Cut-Down Day

- signing somebody after they've cleared waivers

- signing somebody already on the street

Have it ready by the end of next month, Bill... After all, it's, like, only the 2nd-most-important position on offense 'n stuff. Have yourself a super-duper summer otherwise; and say high to Linda from me.

Yep, and they have a month-1/2 to prepare a contingency plan in case none from the fearsome foursome of Mister Anderson / Reiffer / Brown / McD show themselves worthy of being the Week 1 starting LT of the NEP after TC, scrimmages & preseason... Such a plan should include, but not be limited to (in no particular order):

- trying Strange69 at LT

- trying Double-S at LT

Have it ready by the end of next month, Bill... After all, it's, like, only the 2nd-most-important position on offense 'n stuff. Have yourself a super-duper summer otherwise; and say high to Linda from me.
I agree.

Belichick is certainly looking at the 6 options on the team (the fearsome foursome), Strange and Sow).

And yes, he is looking at options from the cuts and from trades.

The PLAN is likely to be ready now. Of course, trades and cut-down players may not be available for several weeks.

IMO, Belichick already knows how ready Strange and Sow are to play LT. Training camp and scrimmages are all about testing the fearsome foursome.

Your choice is Williams. Sometimes a poster can name a player who a team is ready to trade and who the patriots want at an agreeable price. More often, we need to be more modest and hope for a trade who will upgrade the corp of OT's.

- trying Strange69 at LT

- trying Double-S at LT

Why do you want to trade for one of the guys what was one of the worst, if not THE WORST LT in the NFL last year? What does that accomplish?

trying Strange69 at LT
That is not ideal but maybe necessary. They’ve got the bodies in the interior. Mister Anderson is going to struggle. He is a bit undersized. He has already struggled in mandatory minicamp.

I could envision Strange-Sow-Andrews-Onwenu-Reiff. That might get it done. McDermott might even be ahead of Reiff right now. McDermott is becoming an unsung hero.

The unknown variable is Sow. I think he can be LT, but not his rookie year.

Strange may struggle against big time bull rushers, but he’s athletic as can be. And he works hard and wants to succeed. TB is a piss poor example to the other young Olineman.

They need to consider trading him. Jets for Becton? Throw in a draft pick?

That is not ideal but maybe necessary. They’ve got the bodies in the interior. Mister Anderson is going to struggle. He is a bit undersized. He has already struggled in mandatory minicamp.

I could envision Strange-Sow-Andrews-Onwenu-Reiff. That might get it done. McDermott might even be ahead of Reiff right now. McDermott is becoming an unsung hero.

The unknown variable is Sow. I think he can be LT, but not his rookie year.

Strange may struggle against big time bull rushers, but he’s athletic as can be. And he works hard and wants to succeed. TB is a piss poor example to the other young Olineman.

They need to consider trading him. Jets for Becton? Throw in a draft pick?
Switch Mafi and Sow and son of a gun, I am in.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back