PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With No Retirement, Don't We Have Our 9 OL's?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that we will keep the "new normal" 8 OL's. We now have 8 OL's active plus one inactive backup. I am a bit nervous with having ALL of backups oin the Practice Squad.

MG's "STARTUNG POINT" FOR CAMP

OT (3): Brown, Reiff, Anderson (with at least one more on the Practice Squad).

Also, Strange or Sow can be an emergency 4th OT if needed during a game. And, yes, one could be good enough to start in 2024. For me, we needn't weaken the IOL in 2023. Our current situation at IOL is a good mix. A veteran starter, a sophomore starter and a rookie Game Day backup. We need to understand that Strange is still learning the NFL game, as Sow will be.

OG: (3) Strange, Onwenu, Sow (If Sow isn't ready, the we have Hines or Mafi available)

C: (2) Andrews, Andrews

OL (1) (inactive backup): Mafi or Hines
==============================
Sure, Russey or Steuber make themselves too valuable to cut, especially if there are injuries.

Sure, McDermott of Cajuste could make themselves too valuable to cut.

Agree with your ranking/breakdown. I only wonder what this might look like if they moved Strange or Sow to tackle.

Agree with your ranking/breakdown. I only wonder what this might look like if they moved Strange or Sow to tackle.
So, let's explore this.

Cut Reiff, replace with Strange.
This would mean that Hines or Mafi would be the Game Day backups at OG, with the other on inactive.
====================

Compare
How much do we gain at OT if we substitute for Reiff or Brown?

How much do we lose from Strange-Onwenu-Sow as the Game Day players compared to Sow-Onwenu-Mafi/Hines?
I would think that Strange to Sow for 2023 is a downgrade as a starter and Sow to Mafi or Hines as the Game Day backup is a much bigger downgrade.
=====================
My conclusion is that it could be a good investment in the future if Sow or Stange were close in value to Reiff at OT. HOWEVER, this is more than offset by how much we weaken the OG position. For me, it enough that they get lots of camp, and per-season reps at OT so that Klemm can see whether either of them is a possible starting 2024 OT.

For the better part of Bill's first decade, the Pats kept 10 OL on the main roster. That being said, with the ability to sign up to 3 vested vets to the PS, I can see it being easier to keep only 9 on the "53".

With McDermott being 33, I'm not sure if another team will swoop in to sign him to a "53". A team that has suffered OT injuries would do it though.

One has to wonder how much Reiff has left and how much of that "guaranteed" salary is guaranteed for injury only and how much of it is guaranteed if he retires.

I only see 6 OL as "LOCKS" right now. So much will depend on injuries. Something that seems to happen in TC to O-linemen regularly.

The Patriots have the following players on the 90 at OL. 16 in total :

Centers:
*David Andrews -
OC
*Jake Andrews- OC/OG drafted
Kody Russey - OC/OG - How much did he show last year? Did he learn enough to beat out Ferentz? Is he destined for the PS?
James Ferentz - OG/OC - Re-Signed 3/9
Chasen Hines - OC/OG - How much did he show when he was taken off the NFI last year? Was IRed by October.

Pure Guard:
Atonio Mafi-
OG - drafted - 5th rounder. He's got his work cut out for him as a pure guard.
Bill Murray - OG - Futures Deal - 1/23

Guard/Tackle:
*Michael Onwenu
- OG/OT
*Cole Strange - OG/OT
Conor McDermott - OT - Re-signed 2/18/23 - Stepped in well, but how much does he have left at 33?
Andrew Steuber - OG/OT - Injured most of last year -
*Sidy Sow - OG/OT - drafted

Pure Tackles:
*Calvin Anderson -
OT Signed
Reilly Reiff - OT - signed 3/15 - 35yr old. How much does he have left.
Trent Brown - OT - Not a lock by any stretch. If he performs in TC like last year, he's likely gone.
Yodney Cajuste - re-signed - Injured every year except 2021, but only appeared in 7 games seeing 105 total snaps on offense and special teams. Was putrid last year when not injured.

Last edited:
"And my head coach/grocery-shopper didn't draft EVEN ****ING ONE OF THEM for me either; nor did he draft EVEN ONE ****ING TIGHT END OR 3RD-DOWN BACK, or a WR until the 6TH ****ING ROUND... He must Really hate me now."

- MJ

For the better part of Bill's first decade, the Pats kept 10 OL on the main roster. That being said, with the ability to sign up to 3 vested vets to the PS, I can see it being easier to keep only 9 on the "53".

With McDermott being 33, I'm not sure if another team will swoop in to sign him to a "53". A team that has suffered OT injuries would do it though.

One has to wonder how much Reiff has left and how much of that "guaranteed" salary is guaranteed for injury only and how much of it is guaranteed if he retires.

I only see 6 OL as "LOCKS" right now. So much will depend on injuries. Something that seems to happen in TC to O-linemen regularly.

The Patriots have the following players on the 90 at OL. 16 in total :

Centers:
*David Andrews -
OC
*Jake Andrews- OC/OG drafted
Kody Russey - OC/OG - How much did he show last year? Did he learn enough to beat out Ferentz? Is he destined for the PS?
James Ferentz - OG/OC - Re-Signed 3/9
Chasen Hines - OC/OG - How much did he show when he was taken off the NFI last year? Was IRed by October.

Pure Guard:
Atonio Mafi-
OG - drafted - 5th rounder. He's got his work cut out for him as a pure guard.
Bill Murray - OG - Futures Deal - 1/23

Guard/Tackle:
*Michael Onwenu
- OG/OT
*Cole Strange - OG/OT
Conor McDermott - OT - Re-signed 2/18/23 - Stepped in well, but how much does he have left at 33?
Andrew Steuber - OG/OT - Injured most of last year -
*Sidy Sow - OG/OT - drafted

Pure Tackles:
*Calvin Anderson -
OT Signed
Reilly Reiff - OT - signed 3/15 - 35yr old. How much does he have left.
Trent Brown - OT - Not a lock by any stretch. If he performs in TC like last year, he's likely gone.
Yodney Cajuste - re-signed - Injured every year except 2021, but only appeared in 7 games seeing 105 total snaps on offense and special teams. Was putrid last year when not injured.
By your logic, there are ZERO locks. As you say, so much depends on injuries. However, I agree with your six.

Also, I believe that we can have SIX veterans with more that 2 accrued years. This is the perfect spot for Ferentz, McDermott and Cajuste. They can be paid $20K a week, more when elevated to the roster.

Of course, that presumes that we have the 8 we need for the Active Roster, plus a backup or developmental player that we want to protect.
So,
OT's: CHOOSE TWO from Brown, Reiff, McDermott, Cajuste (I think that we would carry four on the 53 if one the guards switched to OT)
OG's: CHOOSE ONE from Mafi, Hines, Russey, Ferentz (Ferentz is a possibility for Belichick if Sow is a starting OT or OG).

@captain stone - Patriots have 3 players capable of being a 3rd down back in James Robinson, Pierre Strong and Stevenson.

Before drafting Boutte and Douglas, the Pats had Parker, Thornton, Bourne, and JuJu on the team. There isn't much room for MORE WRs. But I'm not surprised that you spewing the ridiculous garbage that you are. It's your modus operandi.

Reiff is a broken wreck who makes it through the season unscathed like the Titanic sailing into NY harbor.

Trent Brown? Ask Mark Morse about that guy. He could run the gamut from being very good to being released.

McDermontt? Can you cook? Maybe you can join Mitchell Schwartz with his culinary blog. Never knew streaks could be prepared so many ways.

Calvin Anderson. Ah, we land on a serviceable LT, which alas no longer describes Trent Brown.

So not taking a LT in the draft in a perfectly just world would have our head coach permanently barred from GM duties. Good value was there in the fourth with high floor great character Carter Warren.

So moving Strange to tackle is desperation time. Sow can do it. This year, though? Probably not.

Here’s a pernicious thought: we’re forced to sign Wynn. We pay him his $5 million with the promise he’ll be LT.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Here’s a pernicious thought: we’re forced to sign Wynn. We pay him his $5 million with the promise he’ll be LT.

You're not the only one who's had this thought. It would certainly send the message that this season is not last season. I fear that BB wouldn't be prepared to send it, though ...

Reiff is a broken wreck who makes it through the season unscathed like the Titanic sailing into NY harbor.

Trent Brown? Ask Mark Morse about that guy. He could run the gamut from being very good to being released.

McDermontt? Can you cook? Maybe you can join Mitchell Schwartz with his culinary blog. Never knew streaks could be prepared so many ways.

Calvin Anderson. Ah, we land on a serviceable LT, which alas no longer describes Trent Brown.

So not taking a LT in the draft in a perfectly just world would have our head coach permanently barred from GM duties. Good value was there in the fourth with high floor great character Carter Warren.

So moving Strange to tackle is desperation time. Sow can do it. This year, though? Probably not.

The only thing desperate is your attempts to discredit the players on this team. It's amazing how you trash them while completely ignoring the trainwreck of coaching from last season.

Just because YOU claim someone is "good value" doesn't make it true. Just like it doesn't make it true if some Draftnik makes the claim.

PS: referencing Mark Morse isn't a good bet when Morse just completely fubared his draft analysis. The guy didn't even get trades correct. His article was filled with glaring issues.

Before last season season started, I said this O-line was bad.

It’s even worse now.

Bill neglected his former 1st round pick by ignoring getting him some upgrades on offense with his option looming next off season.

The only thing desperate is your attempts to discredit the players on this team. It's amazing how you trash them while completely ignoring the trainwreck of coaching from last season.

Just because YOU claim someone is "good value" doesn't make it true. Just like it doesn't make it true if some Draftnik makes the claim.

PS: referencing Mark Morse isn't a good bet when Morse just completely fubared his draft analysis. The guy didn't even get trades correct. His article was filled with glaring issues.
They’re supposed to be professionals, you jesuitical, bacon-fed knave.

Holding firm to my prediction: Rieff doesn’t make it out of camp, Cajuste to IR in camp, This leaves Brown and Anderson, McDermott and Steuber. :eek:

Taking Mapu rather than say Freeland was a debacle

Hope I’m wrong obviously.

Last edited:
Reiff will be 35 and has a track record of getting hurt. Just sayin.

I have concerns about Reiff as well, but I like Calvin Anderson better than most, and although I don't follow college ball anymore, most of the football analysts that I follow like PFFs Sam Monson feel that the Patriots improved their line via the draft. Also Klemm should help. I'm not overly concerned...yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507-074037_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507-074037_Facebook.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 6
He's missed a TOTAL of 15 games over 11 seasons. You're making it sound like he's missing great swaths of time each season which just isn't true.

He's missed a TOTAL of 15 games over 11 seasons. You're making it sound like he's missing great swaths of time each season which just isn't true.
How about look at the last three. The guy he was in his twenties is very different than the broken down body in his mid 30s. The league ages bodies real fast.

"And my head coach/grocery-shopper didn't draft EVEN ****ING ONE OF THEM for me either; nor did he draft EVEN ONE ****ING TIGHT END OR 3RD-DOWN BACK, or a WR until the 6TH ****ING ROUND... He must Really hate me now."

- MJ
Um, what are you talking about? How can you complain about our offense? We’re the second oldest in the league. With a QB on a rookie contract. Right.

I take it back. Jones is pissed.

You seem not to understand the value of older veterans one year contracts at the end of their careers. Both Brown and Reff are very valuable parts of a roster. If Reiff plays only half the games, he will have been worth signing. We'll likely carry a 4th OT, and a 5th on the Practice Squad. These two are likely to be McDermott and Cajuste.

SWING TACKLE - UPGRADE
Anderson is a fine value replacing Cannon and then McDermott in this role.

STARTING RIGHT TACKLE - UPGRADE
Reiff is a serious improvement over Wynn at RT. The backups that replaced Cannon are still here and hopefully healthy (McDermott and Cajuste). These players could make the 53 or the Practice Squad. Of course, Anderson is also available, and better than the bakcups.

LEFT TACKLE - IT IS WHAT IT IS
We have Brown who hopefully will work better with Klemm than with Patricia. Brown, as always, needs close coaching, but is an OK LT starter. We have Anderson as a reasonable backup.

We are also looking to cross-train Strange and/or Sow as a backup, and perhaps even as a starter.

OL COACH - SERIOUS UPGRADE
We have Klemm instead of Patricia.
==========================
TO BE BLUNT - UPGRADE
OUT - Patricia, Wynn, Cannon
IN - Klemm, Reiff, Anderson, (and perhaps Sow)

This is NOT good enough for the future, but it is a serious upgrade from 2022. A much better OC should also help a lot. Personnel will be put in positions to win more often than in 2022.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back