PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offensive Skill Players As Of Now

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that this is where we are. I consider a 3rd TE unlikely, unless we only carry 9 OL's. I think that we are very likely to sign a RB before the season starts.

OFFENSIVE SKILL PLAYERS - TO BE UPGRADED (OR NOT)
QB - Jones, Zappe
WR - Parker, Shuster, Thornton, Bourne
TE - Henry, Gesicki
RB - Stevenson, Strong, Harris, (Taylor)
ST - Slater
UTILITY - Montgomery, Douglas

I think that this is where we are. I consider a 3rd TE unlikely, unless we only carry 9 OL's. I think that we are very likely to sign a RB before the season starts.

QB - Jones, Zappe
TE - Henry, Gesicki
ST - Slater
I don’t think so. Thornton will need to really step up on his game to make the roster yet alone push Bourne to WR4. I think DD and maybe even Boutte have outshone TT so far, but I’d really like to see Hurd make the roster to play alongside his old buddy Bourne.

Nobody has outshown anybody at this point. And the WRs are not ranked like that. They will be used in matchup rotations, as has been explained.

On the pessimist side, Thornton is trending towards Nkeal Harry status . It's still early , but hoping Thornton can at least give us some performances like Chris Hogan . That would make the investment in second round a wash.

On the pessimist side, Thornton is trending towards Nkeal Harry status . It's still early , but hoping Thornton can at least give us some performances like Chris Hogan . That would make the investment in second round a wash.
Thornton wasn't a 1st round pick like Harry. So he's more approaching Aaron Dobson territory

Nobody has outshown anybody at this point. And the WRs are not ranked like that. They will be used in matchup rotations, as has been explained.
When the 53 man roster is set there will a ranking of the top five or maybe six, and everybody else. Thornton is making his bid to be among everybody else. Might make PS instead of the 53, but still not what was hoped.

I agree that Thornton SHOULD get more reps than Thornton and SHOULD be more likely to make the roster.

I think that there is almost zero chance of us cutting Thornton. He will be given another season, especially given the chaos in 2021.
=======
As of now, I think that these 15 are very likely to make the roster, except for Taylor who will upgraded.
==========
Even if he is a developmental player and never active, Belichick will give Thornton another year to develop. That would just mean that Douglas would get more reps as the #4 WR, and thaat Montgomery would be the #5 WR (rarely used).

Montgomery is already a lock and will be an integral component of the Pats 2023 offense. Thats why he is here. Not to watch # 11 Double Toothpicks struggle out there.

Tyquan Toothpicks wont be cut. If Harry lasted until his 4th training camp surely TT11 can too.

When the 53 man roster is set there will a ranking of the top five or maybe six, and everybody else. Thornton is making his bid to be among everybody else. Might make PS instead of the 53, but still not what was hoped.

What data are you using to come to that conclusion? Nothing that's happened in camp so far means anything with regard to the eventual WR roster going forward. Nothing. This isn't like high school try outs where first impressions based on random showings mean something. They immediately jump into situational sets, and the players best suited for those are who plays.

Last year was offensive coaching chaos and meant very little, especially for a rookie WR.

The team has made it clear that it will have a WR rotation with a variety of skills. Thornton has speed that doesn't exist anywhere else in the WR group. When they want to pressure a given defense deep, he'll play (unless he completely $hits the bed in August, September, and October).

QB - Jones, Zappe
TE - Henry, Gesicki
ST - Slater

I think it is what it is, they will have to make it work. I don’t believe Cook will sign here.

What data are you using to come to that conclusion? Nothing that's happened in camp so far means anything with regard to the eventual WR roster going forward. Nothing. This isn't like high school try outs where first impressions based on random showings mean something. They immediately jump into situational sets, and the players best suited for those are who plays.

Last year was offensive coaching chaos and meant very little, especially for a rookie WR.

The team has made it clear that it will have a WR rotation with a variety of skills. Thornton has speed that doesn't exist anywhere else in the WR group. When they want to pressure a given defense deep, he'll play (unless he completely $hits the bed in August, September, and October).

Agree completely. Thornton’s role will be similar to the role Will Fuller played in Houston, stretch the field and force defenses to respect the deep ball. While this isn’t the strongest receiving unit you will find it is a complementary unit. They can force teams to cover deep as well as the width of the field. Thornton, and Bourne to some degree are deep threats, Parker gives them size outside the hashes, and Schuster, Bourne, and hopefully Douglas can all give them help out of the slot. The TE’s should also help in the Red Zone, and over the middle. We may also see Gesicki out wide if they have mismatches against small corners they can exploit. A couple of seasons ango they couldn’t threaten teams deep or outside the hashes. Odd as it sounds they actually have a better receiving unit than K.C., they just don’t have Mahomes throwing the ball.

Second round WR's average 40 game careers in the NFL. That's 40 games in which they were on the active 53 man roster.
If he gives us a Chris Hogan year in 2023, he's already significantly exceeded the norm for a second round WR.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back