PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is sports gambling a gateway drug?

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Interesting article:

Reactions: Ian
I don't gamble and come from a family of addiction. Gambling is a major problem for some people. I my self could get lost in it if I allowed my self to.

What I really hate is that most people aren't watching sports for any other reason to see their parlays hit. All this gambling **** intertwined into the product on air is mad annoying for those of us who don't give a ****.

I watch sports cause I enjoy the competitiveness of it. Not because I wanna drop 100 bucks on a WR I never heard of to hit 5 catches and 80 yards for a 400 dollar payout or however the **** it works.

Keep it pretty low. Only disposable income can be used for it. May put in $20-30 a week during football season and have fun with whatever money I win.

Do enough for it to be fun, not enough to where the loss actually financially hurts.

It's like many other things, it's the balance between personal freedom and society's desire to protect those who can't control themselves. I lean toward personal freedom, but I do understand it comes at a cost for many.

It's like many other things, it's the balance between personal freedom and society's desire to protect those who can't control themselves. I lean toward personal freedom, but I do understand it comes at a cost for many.

Yep, personal freedom has upfront, enduring, and legacy costs that touch most folks one way or the other. It's worth it. The alternative is less than ideal.

I do not have a gambling problem. Any time I bet I typically lose which is no fun so I rarely bet.

I did an offshore sporsbook years ago. I won a few small bets and felt like it was taking candy from a baby and then proceeded to lose pretty much any bet I made against the spread. After I lost my 100 bucks I was out.

Today I like just watching a game and not having to worry about the spread or point totals or player props.

Last edited:
As a person who indulges in dr-*ahem*..... As a person who has a friend that indulges in some recreational drug use, it was never a gateway to gambling. I dunno if the inverse would be true, but I do think it's just as hazardous in most conditions and it has introduced a bunch of ****ing annoying non-sports fans to suddenly talk to me about sports like they're suddenly fans.

In all seriousness, betting is about as scary as it gets to me. Kudos to the people who can treat it with a healthy manner. My finances are too precarious to find out, personally. Absolutely terrified of ****ing up a bet.

I am not interested in sports gambling ... I want to enjoy watching a game.
No need for the adrenaline rush ... but that has to be a part it ... right?
States make millions on smoking tax ... booze tax ... now gambling ... unreal.

Last edited:
Interesting news on the glp drugs as having strong suppression of many compulsive behaviors.

Awkward Tyler James Williams GIF by ABC Network

Many are betting it isn't.

I used to gamble. Tom Landry, Roger Staubach and Drew Pearson gave me a nice kick start in the late 70's but Jim Zorn and Steve Largent gave me a kick in the nuts a few years later that ended my career as a gambler.

Interesting article:

Kraft is an investor in DraftKings and Jerry Jones is in FanDuel. It may not be illegal to make the rules of the game you're taking bets on but it definitely seems unethical.

I had a neighbor years ago who tore apart his family because of his gambling problem. And I'm pretty sure he passed that gene onto his son.

The CEO of one of them, Draftkings I think, just had two houses torn down on a street behind me and a very large house built on it. This is a mid Atlantic city neighborhood with mature trees and largely 1950's brick houses. His looks like it should be in Miami Vice.

I don't think it should be illegal, but I do think it does more harm than good. I'm in no way surprised that gambling leads to more gambling, but as a lot of people on here have pointed out, addiction is a tough bastard, whether its drugs, alcohol or gambling. My main thing is talking to my kids about what addictive personalities are and trying to make sure they make smart decisions.

My first business trip to Vegas I went to the tables. Won some, which was exhilarating, lost some which was upsetting, overall down $400, which is not much in the total scheme of things. Didn't like the mood swings from hope to disappointment to satisfaction and back again, or the associated stress. Never did it again. As to sports betting, too many variables at play, and enough stress just rooting for the teams I'm emotionally invested in

Kraft is an investor in DraftKings and Jerry Jones is in FanDuel. It may not be illegal to make the rules of the game you're taking bets on but it definitely seems unethical.

I had a neighbor years ago who tore apart his family because of his gambling problem. And I'm pretty sure he passed that gene onto his son.
I have heard horror stories of a wife coming home only to find the county sheriff there to serve eviction papers.

The husband gambled the home away and intercepted all mail pertaining to losing the home. The wife had no idea that this was going on behind her back.

My oldest sisters first husband was in financial ruin from reckless decisions like gambling when they met. They married after dating 4 years and she got him all squared away and things were fine for a while. But, his gambling itch never went away. He some how weaseled money out of their finances to gamble and then met a Floozie who was a waitress at the country club who loved the high roller life like him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back