Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you believe we will be a super bowl contender with Mac?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People are over reacting based on three games. There are certainly no guarantees than Jones is the QB of the future, but people are too quick to jump off the bandwagon
Even a greater too early overreaction for Zappe. Before we crown anyone the franchise QB of the future, let's at least see them have a very good game against a contending team with a pass rush. If Zappe can repeat the performance next week in Cleveland against Myles Garrett and the Brown defense...now that would be truly impressive.

Zappe did what the team needed him to do today: play smart and not give the game away. Kudos to him, exactly what you’d like to see from a rookie back up. But let’s not go overboard here. We played the worst D in the league. They were Swiss Cheese against the run and lost half their secondary.

Our D made this a very easy game for the offence. Mac is still the guy.

Winning the turnover battle appears to be key for us.

Whatever qb puts us in the best position to minimize turnovers should start for us!

Zappe did what the team needed him to do today: play smart and not give the game away. Kudos to him, exactly what you’d like to see from a rookie back up. But let’s not go overboard here. We played the worst D in the league. They were Swiss Cheese against the run and lost half their secondary.

Our D made this a very easy game for the offence. Mac is still the guy.
I agreed with everything you said.

I do have a nitpick.

I would say that Zappe did everything that we would expect from a rookie (starter or backup).
===========
Also, it seems that we have a backup for 2023 and beyond.

Agree that it's far too early to say anything about Mac's job security here. Zappe has exactly 1 win for us. I do think Mac needs to clean his game up ASAP though, if he continues turning the ball over when he gets back there will be need to be a discussion (if Zappe plays similarly solid in the rest of his starts here).

It's clear the OL improved. Even worthless-Wynn only had 1 penalty. So, people can't think Mac would stink where Zappe thrived. Mac will be better as the OL and OC improve and congeal too - like every year. Plenty of seasons with Brady we'd see this messy beginning. I still think if Mac gains full mobility and stability of his ankle, he's a better option this year. We'll learn a lot in CLE. And then I suspect Mac might be ready by the Bears game.

People are over reacting based on three games. There are certainly no guarantees than Jones is the QB of the future, but people are too quick to jump off the bandwagon
Well it sure looks like Mac10 (formerly TommyBrady12), or as we like to call him Timmy, is jumping off the bandwagon. Word is he's asked Ian to reserve Zappe4 for him. Not sure how many times you can change your handle. Maybe we should ask Ring, I mean Andy.

Zappe today was pretty much the equivalent of Mac’s performances in the first part of his rookie season. Mac is still the guy but the leash isn’t particularly long and it could change sooner than we think if Zappe plays again, and performs well again in addition to Mac returning and playing poorly. It can change rather quick.

If anything, we’ve learned that we went too much too soon with Mac.

Zappe has done well but let's not go overboard. Couldn't get 5 yards to beat the Packers in OT and 188 yards and 1td against the worst defense in the league. Those aren't "OMG bench Mac!" Numbers. He's don't more than what's been asked of him as a rookie. But there is no controversy yet.

Now, it's hard to say if Mac is or isn't the guy. But people are quick to jump off the wagon. He has struggled this year, yes. But new offensive scheme, poor OL play, no run game plagued the team in the first few weeks.

Seems the last two games the Patriots have gotten back to what they do well, run the ball play tight defense, play action passes. Also the OL has settled in. Let's see how Mac does with this team of they continue to play this way. I'd say it will be much better improvement.

Why do so many people think arm strength is being able to launch a bomb 50 yards down field? Almost any QB at the NFL level can wind up and throw the ball as hard as they can 50 yards downfield. Arm strength is a factor on the quick out routes to the sideline or zipping a ball into tight window. Some of Mac's throws outside the hashmarks on those 10 yard outs have been very slow to get there and gives the corners time to recover and get in position to break up the pass. Timing can help that to some extent but Mac seems to be getting squirrelly in the pocket and not always setting his feet which add to the arm strength issue.
It's also throwing passes to the middle of the field or inside the numbers, where the safety can make a play. It's why a lot of Mac's interceptions in his career were in that area

Nobody is trying to "make Brady look bad," that's just typical fanboy tilting at windmills, attacking invisible enemies because the sacred cow's name was mentioned.

They're simply pointing out how he looked like a rookie in 2001. According to the fanboys he entered the league as a first round pick and started averaging 400 yards passing and 3 TD's a a game... like he is now in his 40's on the Tampa superteam. Tom threw one TD pass (and 1 INT) in the entire 2001 postseason, over three games, he had a 77 QB Rating. He was a game manager... sorry if that's an inconvenient truth.

What he did do was manage the offense, play efficiently, threw to the open man and largely didn't turn the ball over. This is exactly what you want from a rookie or 2nd year starter. If we got this from Mac they would be 4-0 right now. If they get it from Zappe they can win games. Brady wasn't Jesus or Superman in 2001, he was a first year starter who played efficiently... who eventually grew into the best QB in the game. He developed... wasn't born that way. Good grief... the revisionist history from the millennials is nauseating.
Thats misleading

In 2001, they didn't play wild card weekend, and in the divisional round, it was a heavy blizzard that he still stepped up in the 2nd half, and he got hurt in the conference title game.

No one is saying he was a superstar but you're underselling what he did in 2001.

It's clear the OL improved. Even worthless-Wynn only had 1 penalty. So, people can't think Mac would stink where Zappe thrived. Mac will be better as the OL and OC improve and congeal too - like every year. Plenty of seasons with Brady we'd see this messy beginning. I still think if Mac gains full mobility and stability of his ankle, he's a better option this year. We'll learn a lot in CLE. And then I suspect Mac might be ready by the Bears game.
I generally agree with this sentiment, but Brady did not start seasons with a 2:5 TD-INT ratio. Also, at least 2 Mac picks this year can be attributed directly to bad decision making on his part, and I don't recall there being much pressure on those specific plays where he just chucked it to Parker in double coverage.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but Brady did not start seasons with a 2:5 TD-INT ratio. Also, at least 2 Mac picks this year can be attributed directly to bad decision making on his part, and I don't recall there being much pressure on those specific plays where he just chucked it to Parker in double coverage.

Pretty sure Brady did his second year after the Superbowl. And manning did his second year. At least that's what tom e Curran said.

The whole move on from a QB in their second year because they struggled over 3 games is pretty ridiculous hot take.

Half this board probably would've cut Josh Allen because he looked like garbage his first couple years. (Disclaimer I am not saying Mac Jones is Josh Allen before people jump on me)

Pretty sure Brady did his second year after the Superbowl. And manning did his second year. At least that's what tom e Curran said.

The whole move on from a QB in their second year because they struggled over 3 games is pretty ridiculous hot take.

Half this board probably would've cut Josh Allen because he looked like garbage his first couple years. (Disclaimer I am not saying Mac Jones is Josh Allen before people jump on me)
When Brady won the Super Bowl for the first time, it was his second year on the team. The year after that was his third. His first he spent on the bench.

Seems the last two games the Patriots have gotten back to what they do well, run the ball play tight defense, play action passes. Also the OL has settled in. Let's see how Mac does with this team of they continue to play this way. I'd say it will be much better improvement.
I agree.

Also, hopefully Mac is seeing that he doesn't have to win the game with his arm, just make the plays he should make, and throw away the ball instead of trying to squeeze it in and make the hero play. Manage the game. Yet I kinda think he's still gonna take those chances, it seems to be how he is wired. Hopefully he tempers that a bit.

It's way too early to be calling for a change, IMO. He'll play when he's healthy. But he'll also know if he can't clean up his game the coaches have Zappe sitting right there waiting to come in. The team isn't good enough to win giving up multiple turnovers a game, and the coaches know it.

Brady spent his entire Rookie season as a 4th string QB. He came in for injured Bledsoe in his second season and went on to win SB.

In his THIRD season they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Brady actually wasn't awful that season if I recall.. I believe our issues were more on the defensive side of ball.

All of that said, I actually agree with your points completely. Way to early to even consider benching Mac Jones. He won the job out of camp, and we have Zappe as a capable backup in the meantime. However, there is nothing BB hates more than turnovers, and Mac needs to find a way to make better decisions with the football. Zappe had an INT on Sunday that wasn't his fault, but otherwise has done extremely well (give his experience) as a game manager.

Last edited:
The Giants beat teams with amazing QBs in the 1980s with Phil Simms and a great defense.

Patriots can do the same thing.

But let’s start by involving our two high-priced TEs on offense and not playing awful LBers on defense like Slow Thigh Tavai.

That means better coaching and players.
Actually Tavai played a great game against the Lions

I agree.

Also, hopefully Mac is seeing that he doesn't have to win the game with his arm, just make the plays he should make, and throw away the ball instead of trying to squeeze it in and make the hero play. Manage the game. Yet I kinda think he's still gonna take those chances, it seems to be how he is wired. Hopefully he tempers that a bit.

It's way too early to be calling for a change, IMO. He'll play when he's healthy. But he'll also know if he can't clean up his game the coaches have Zappe sitting right there waiting to come in. The team isn't good enough to win giving up multiple turnovers a game, and the coaches know it.
Well said: If you play good Defense - run the the football well and don't turn the football over recipe for being in any game with a chance of winning.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back