Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you believe we will be a super bowl contender with Mac?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Using "He was a Pro Bowler" to support Mac is embarrassing. Please stop. There are other valid things to take away from his rookie season to show he has the potential to be the guy. He was 3rd or 4th alternate for the Pro Bowl? That's bordering on a participation trophy.
Only 6 rookies made the Pro Bowl last year. Only 3 players from 2020 made it as rookies.

And 2/3 of the vote comes from their opponents and coaches.

I don't think he is going to end up being a special QB but he could be good enough to win with if he has enough talent around him. Idk, it's still too early to say but those are my current feelings.

Only 6 rookies made the Pro Bowl last year. Only 3 players from 2020 made it as rookies.

And 2/3 of the vote comes from their opponents and coaches.

And how many QB's who were actually voted to the Pro Bowl opted out because of injury, lack of interest, time to rearrange their sock drawers?

Mac was not voted to the Pro Bowl. He was the alternate of an alternate of an alternate. I am still higher on Mac than most, but this is not the argument to use in his defense. It's a pubic hair ahead of a participation trophy.

Mac had one of the better rookie seasons compared to other QB's present or past. That should be the lead argument.

Here, I'll help you out: go to profootballreference.com and find quarterbacks, 2021.

I am not the one that is leaving things out. lol. I just think the bar has fallen off badly around here.

Lol. Lol, lol. Yeah, your lofty standards are above it all. Lol. Oh, and lol.
Using "He was a Pro Bowler" to support Mac is embarrassing. Please stop. There are other valid things to take away from his rookie season to show he has the potential to be the guy. He was 3rd or 4th alternate for the Pro Bowl? That's bordering on a participation trophy.

Look, his joining the Pro Bowl roster other than via first-team honors isn't front-page news but it nonetheless is an honor, even with a small "h." He did perform well.

Here, I'll help you out: go to profootballreference.com and find quarterbacks, 2021.

Lol. Lol, lol. Yeah, your lofty standards are above it all. Lol. Oh, and lol.

Look, his joining the Pro Bowl roster other than via first-team honors isn't front-page news but it nonetheless is an honor, even with a small "h." He did perform well.
Let's compromise and just remove the h altogether. We'll call it an onor.

He had a very good rookie season, which is why he was selected to take the place of the QB's who were selected to take the place of the QB's selected for the Pro Bowl. None of the other rookie QB's were going to sniff 6th runner-up, so I will concede it was sort of an onor.

BUT, there are better arguments to use in Mac's defense, which is what I want to do. :D

He did move the ball, and the offense was much better. However, his decision making this year has been atrocious. 5 picks through 3 games and he's lucky there wasn't 2 or 3 more.

You don't need elite skills but if he continues to display decision making we've seen this year we're gonna be upset fans.
He will definitely have to cut down on the interceptions, but you always get more int’s when you are trying to come back in the 4th quarter. And I thought he was going to bring them back until the fumble by Agholor.

I don't agree that you need insane physical tools to win a SB. What you need is to take your team down the field again and again, score TD's when you get there, and don't turn it over. Yesterday he looked pretty dynamic to me, the offense went off for 450 yards.

Agree completely. The loss sucked but the offense looked like it was starting to come together.

Yes, I think Mac’s the future. When a qb is drafted in the first round that organization is committing to him as the future until he shows he can’t play.

He had a really good rookie year and was given more responsibility coming into his second year which has lead to more turnovers.

I think there needs to be some nuance when discussing Mac. It seems like if he doesn’t play perfect we get a lot of people posting about how he sucks. Just because he got out scored by Lamar doesn’t mean he sucks.

Give me a player who can read the defense and find open receivers any day of the week. I don’t care about the complaints about Mac’s arm strength because long term I think he’s got what it takes to diagnose defenses presnap. I’d also point out that arm strength can improve over time just like it did for Brady.

I do wonder though if the team craters with Mac out and gets a high pick in a QB rich draft does it make sense to pick another qb.

I think we have to be patient with him, he's the guy and will be the guy for the next several years. Can't expect Brady results, who can? but he can bring the team to a super bowl eventually. Give him to time to develop, other QBs have taken 3-4 years to show anything. I was surprised by the number of calls on talk radio today saying he has to go, he's not the guy, so many people giving up so early, it's not realistic to expect him to be a top QB in a couple years.

I was really excited when we got Mac. I still am pretty excited. Maybe not as much as I would like to be on game day, but I see the flashes that are there. The team really hasn’t done him any favors either. We all know the BS that went on this offseason. There’s no way that those things have not been a part of the cause of his regression. If he has a year that continues the way it’s started, BB needs to own that **** 100%. I’m not going to make my mind up until the end of his 3rd year. If I had to choose now, it’s 50-50.

We shouldn't be defining an entire career based on the last 7 or 8 games in a 21 game career(including the one playoff game) so far but we haven't seen a slump last this long before in the past 22 years have we? Maybe 2012. Mac currently has the second worst quarterback rating in the NFL according Boston Sports Tonight. It's not fair but people will judge his future based on stats like that. I heard an analyst on one of the Sunday post game shows say that a quarterback can elevate an offense or manage an offense. I think Its been a mixed bag at best. He certainly elevated it last year over what Cam Newton did the prior year. The last 8 games? Not so much though. Now he's injured and we don't know when he'll be back or how he will respond. I remember Jason Whitlock saying in 2008 that Brady is done. He'll be hearing footsteps the rest of his career. I hope Mac will respond similarly to Brady. I can't vote no in this poll. It's way, way too early

Last edited:
There have been moments when I've wondered about Mac, but the Ravens game erased those doubts, he looked back on the trajectory we remember him from mid last year. The plays to Parker and Agholor were Brady-like throws, his scrambling was excellent, and he was leading the charge in the 4th quarter like the game was his. He demonstrated that his ceiling is very high.

As far as the mistakes:
- the INT in the middle of the field was his fault, no question
- the end zone INT was Parker's fault; if he'd run the right route he'd have been in the corner in good position fighting for the ball
- as far as those passes in the flat, the Ravens were sitting on those, so continuing to try them was a coaching mistake.

Really sucks he got hurt, especially on such an unnecessary dirty play.

Wow, pulling your Brady quote from 21 years ago verbatim. But truth be told you were right, they should have stuck with Bledsoe, he had a cannon.
You idiot. I was anti Bledsoe.

When I did I post that in your feeble brain.

Judging by your refusal to put some newspapers or old rags in the outhouse you're also anti-hygiene. Your sister has a bad case of sticky butt because of you and is hoppin' mad.

Honestly, I don't know yet. Mac Jones had the best rookie season of any QB from the 2021 NFL draft class. But this year he hasn't shown the improvements we were hoping for in his second year.

But it's also fair to consider that Mac has no OC this year, Josh McDaniels left for Vegas. His 'QB Coach' Joe Judge was the 'mastermind' behind the 31st ranked Giants offense. And a defensive coach for the past 15 years in Matt Patricia is now calling the offensive plays. On top of that the Patriots are changing the offensive system to such a significant extent that even veterans like Kendrick Bourne are complaining. Add it all up and it's a recipe for disaster.

Right now it's hard for me to say whether Mac Jones' struggles in year two are due to his own lack of development or whether it's more the end product of BB's arrogance in insisting he can make do without an Offensive Coordinator, unlike 31 other teams in the NFL!!

After three games, Jones leads the NFL in 20yd+ completions and is in the top ten for 40yd+. Imagine what he could do if he had average arm strength :rolleyes:
His longest pass is 44 yards.

Through 3 games he has 2 TDs and 5 INTs and has thrown at least 1 INT every game this season. You must have missed Tom House working on Jones arm strength this offseason. You must have missed the night in Buffalo where BB did not allow Jones to throw more than 3 passes because of the wind. Tua out played and now Jackson did to. Jones cant come back from a deficit because he does not have the arm to get the team back in the game.

I'm very much in the camp of he wasn't as good as was made out last year, but he certainly isn't as bad as some people are suggesting this year either.

It could be worse guys, we could have been the team that sp*nked 3 first rounders for Lance instead.

It’s ok triumph, everybody makes mistakes. Your 20 year bashing of Belichick for going with noodle armed Brady over Bledsoe’s “HOWITZER” was just one of your more memorable ones. You weren’t the only one who thought 6th round weak armed Brady would be a career clip board holder, your Rabbi, Mel Kiper, thought so too. Buck up buttercup, it will all be ok,

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back