PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time to draft a kicker in this years draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ghost has been solid for us for a long time but this last year he had a huge drop off in made field goals and the struggle with extra points, is it time to invest a late round pick on a kicker?

I was a big Gostowski supporter through all of his struggles. My thoughts were that he was a great kicker for so long, let him kick through his funk. To some extent he did get more consistent at the end of the year, but the missed PAT in Denver and in the Super bowl, I'm really not so sure he deserves to be trusted anymore.

In short, yes draft a kicker.

I was a big Gostowski supporter through all of his struggles. My thoughts were that he was a great kicker for so long, let him kick through his funk. To some extent he did get more consistent at the end of the year, but the missed PAT in Denver and in the Super bowl, I'm really not so sure he deserves to be trusted anymore.

In short, yes draft a kicker.

Yep, and it's always good to have competition going into training camp.
He had big drop off in stats the last two years and we don't know how he is going to be next year.

Yep, and it's always good to have competition going into training camp.
He had big drop off in stats the last two years and we don't know how he is going to be next year.

Stats are one thing, but shanking PATs in playoff games/Super bowls has me thinking he's damaged goods. Arguably cost us a super bowl appearance in 15 and could have cost them this Super Bowl very easily. That missed PAT in the SB compounded a very bad situation when they were fighting to get back into the game.

Some on here will disagree, but I'm ready to cut ties.

Stats are one thing, but shanking PATs in playoff games/Super bowls has me thinking he's damaged goods. Arguably cost us a super bowl appearance in 15 and could have cost them this Super Bowl very easily. That missed PAT in the SB compounded a very bad situation when they were fighting to get back into the game.

True, one mess up in the playoffs and you are out, multiple messups then you are very lucky.
And yes some of those shanks were just sad.

Obviously we need to see how he does in training camp and pre season and at they point the pats can decide who they want to keep.

Draft? No.
Priority free agent to create competition? Yes.

Despite his struggles, he was still awesome on kickoffs. A little competition would be good, but I wouldn't waste a pick when Ghost will still likely be the guy.

He messed another extra point but made 2 FGs in the SB and pinned them down a couple times.

I still think the new emphasis on kick offs messed a bit with his mechanics.

Draft? No.
Priority free agent to create competition? Yes.

Despite his struggles, he was still awesome on kickoffs. A little competition would be good, but I wouldn't waste a pick when Ghost will still likely be the guy.
I don't believe that Gostowski needs any competition, personally, but if they were going to bring in competition, I think it would make more sense to draft a younger, cheaper, player than it would to bring in a free agent.

Ghost has been solid for us for a long time but this last year he had a huge drop off in made field goals and the struggle with extra points, is it time to invest a late round pick on a kicker?

What huge drop off are you talking about ? Over the entire season he is right in the middle of the pack despite his bad start into the year. If he makes two more kicks he is a top 5 kicker.

Similarly, there are only 5 teams this year that had a perfect XP rating over the year so lets not become hysteric over that as well. Also, you are underrating his kickoff game which setup a lot of good field position for us.

Finally, what "late round" kicker do you expect to be suddenly a great NFL player ? I mean looking at the crap kicking that other teams have to deal with I'd say that it's not that easy to find someone who would be an upgrade even if draft him early on day 3.

I don't believe that Gostowski needs any competition, personally, but if they were going to bring in competition, I think it would make more sense to draft a younger, cheaper, player than it would to bring in a free agent.

By priority free agent, I meant an undrafted rookie.

Ghost is one of the best kickers in the NFL. He had a 84.4 % kicking rate in 2016. He had worse rates four times in his career. It's only his second season in his career where he hasn't had 100% on XPs. No way you draft another kicker. Look how the rookie kickers struggled this year. There is no option out there that would be better next year than Ghost.

The question is. Is there a kicker worth drafting?

Zane Gonzalez of Arizona State. One scout told Daniel Jeremiah he gave Gonzalez the highest grade he's ever given a kicker and PFF say he's the best kicker they've seen in years.

I think injuries especially to the offense line were the biggest reason Pats lost to Denver in the afc championship. Second biggest reason was Collins giving up 2 tds to Owen Daniels.

I met Ghost at Atlantis last week. He was really nice and easy to talk to. I thanked him for his big 4th quarter fg and especially for his deep kickoffs that pinned Atlanta to set up the defense.

i think i saw something the other day that Adam Vinatieri nephew is coming out of college next year i think? thoughts on him..

Agreed.
Kickers have bad years, look at Vinatieri's 2003 season. He went 25/34 on FG (73%) and was 7/10 in the playoffs , going 1/3 on FG's, one was blocked in the Super Bowl....... He turned out all right.....

Most players in an NFL Locker Room will tell you that they don't understand Kickers, so I'm certainly not going to do so.
Is this a "phase?" I dunno.
Is this the beginning of a "decline?" I dunno.
Is this the result of changing his "mechanics" on KO's? I dunno.

All I do know is that when he missed the PAT in Houston, I flashed back to 2015 and when he lined up for the FG that could pull the Pats within "two scores" (OK, two TD's and two, two point PAT's), I was nervous. Comparisons to the kicks that will eventually put #4 into Canton flooded my memories and I found myself no more anxious over the two two-point Attempts than I would have been if they were relying on Gostkowski's foot. I don't think that's a good sign.

I think we have to give Gostkowski credit for his KO's that almost always end up with returns inside the 20 or 25 when he puts them on the one yard line. But, yeah. I think it's time for a little reasonably priced competition or to start think about moving on.

But, as always, "in BB I trust."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday