PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it a good idea to try to sign JC Jackson before year ends?

Why would he leave so much money on the table? That’s $66MM for four. He’s likely looking at $82MM for four, maybe more.

If he is willing for a bit friendly contract to say. Of course if he don't care if he plays for the Jets/Bears/Lions/Texans and they give him 19m/yr. Well, can't do anything about that....

16.5m per year. 4yrs + 5th option.

Don't care what folks say, he is a #1 CB and he is young and more time to just get better...
If Patriots can keep the CBs & Secondary intact (mostly) Patriots will be golden for upcoming years....
Why do you keep low balling him? The tag this year is more than that.

There will be a team that offerers close to $20M or even more. Bill was trying a last second effort to sign Thuney who got big money from KC. Bill will pay market if he likes the player enough.

Last edited:
Yes. Bust please do not let him do interviews anymore
I felt bad for him he looked so uncomfortable

Ok. I get it... Here is the top-10 CB contracts

1638143393612.png

17m-19m per year?

18 guaranteed per year with 20 mill tops is what it will take . He is the best right now.

Ok. I get it... Here is the top-10 CB contracts

View attachment 38119

17m-19m per year?
Now you’re more in the ball park.

It’s not uncommon for player A to surpass player B in salary per year who may not be better than player B who signed previously. Trey Flowers is a great example. He had no business making more than Pro Bowl players like Cameron Jordan, Danielle Hunter or even Carlos Dunlap at that time but he did.

People may not think Jackson is better than Ramsey, but he could get something in that range because the demand for CB is so high.

JC is gonna enter negotiations wanting to reset the entire market. You might be able to negotiate him down to Latimore money if he would rather stay but someone is gonna offer a record deal.

Note that Stephon Gilmore is a FA in 2022 as well...

Joe Haden and Kyle Fuller are 2nd tier are FA in 2022...

Franchise tag next year.

Can we bet on these type of things? Im not much of a gambling man outside of poker

This just says it all in today's game....

"J.C. Jackson chased D’Onta Foreman down from behind during a 30-yard run and punched the ball out on Tennessee’s first drive of the second half. Jalen Mills recovered it."

We are talking about some MAJOR $$$ heading JC’s way in the Spring of 2022.

He'll most likely be tagged and traded for 2 1st rd picks. Maybe more.

He'll most likely be tagged and traded for 2 1st rd picks. Maybe more.
Which players in the league would you offer 2 firsts to acquire, plus a $19M-$21M contract?

Even if Jackson signs the tag (unlikely until July), what would teams give us for the one rights to him?

Personally, I think that you are dreaming. Teams could have signed him last year without giving us two firsts.

Just franchise tag him. That's the cheapest and safest option .

Why do you keep low balling him? The tag this year is more than that.

There will be a team that offerers close to $20M or even more. Bill was trying a last second effort to sign Thuney who got big money from KC. Bill will pay market if he likes the player enough.
I think because our tendency as fans is to think, come onnnnnnn, what is the DIFFERENCE? And it's SO GOOD for the team. (I saw later that Zip looked up the contracts & good for him.)

It's just such a strong instinct to make deals in our heads with imaginary agents/players who will be "team friendly." I want that to happen too. But I agree with guys saying 20M is pretty much the logical floor of this negotiation, if they do it *right now*, mainly because of the below.
JC is gonna enter negotiations wanting to reset the entire market. You might be able to negotiate him down to Latimore money if he would rather stay but someone is gonna offer a record deal.
If we're trying to prevent him from testing the waters, we have to threaten or use the franchise tag or just pay him a crap ton up front.

Look, you have the comps for what the houses with the same bedrooms/bathrooms sold for, same curb appeal, etc., on the street where you want to buy. You really want to buy your house for an average of the past 5 houses sold.

Only problem is, the neighborhood just got an upscale country club and they have discovered wish-granting fish in the stocked fish pond (the metaphor for the much higher cap next year and future years). The houses will cost more now.

Using the tag next year is a decent value move, but does not allow us to pay on an average of contracts set before the wish-granting fish got into the pond, i.e, before the 14% rise in the cap. Instead, the cap takes the average percentage of cap from the top five, averages them, and applies that percentage to the upcoming year's salary cap. So IF the top 5 average is 10% for cornerback... i.e., if they average 18.2M on a $182M cap... you would apply that to next year's $208M cap, and you'd have to pay him $20.8M for the single franchise year. (Cap gurus please correct me on this if I'm wrong somehow.)

It's decent value because right now he'd be pacing the market - he's at the apogee of where his talent can position him, the current best option about to hit the market.

This becomes a tiny bit of a bargaining chip: He might take money that only puts him at the present top of the league, around that same money but on an APY basis, and we might get to lock him up in return, because of the threat of a $20.8 million year followed by a decline or an injury. So that protects against the possibility that, frustratingly, his one shot at that size payoff was at the top of this season's arc. I don't think he sees that as the likely narrative on him. He's an elite athlete. He will bet on himself, I think.

If he hit the open market this year, he'd be setting that market in open competition, against a $208M cap. From there, it's supply and demand, and various indemnification from downside risk (the guaranteed money factor.)

So all that to say (sigh,) he's not going to be cheap, no matter how much we want him to be.

Watch the Pats muck this up.

Just sign JC.

Fully expect them to screw this up, tag him for a year and do another deja vu redux of the crap 2005-2008 period.

I was on the fence on this topic a month or so ago. Basically like the Patriots, we didnt see all pro best at his position or we would of tried lot harder. Its all hindsight at this point. He made a huge leap and he is going to test the market and he has earned it.

Which players in the league would you offer 2 firsts to acquire, plus a $19M-$21M contract?

Even if Jackson signs the tag (unlikely until July), what would teams give us for the one rights to him?

Personally, I think that you are dreaming. Teams could have signed him last year without giving us two firsts.
Jalen Ramsey was traded for 2 firsts plus was paid.

Unlike last year many teams will have plenty of cap space to use

Last edited:

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back