PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dont’a Hightower Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilmore is hands down our best defensive player.
I think I would give the edge to Flowers when he is on the field. Look how much our defense went down hill when he got hurt.

I would very strongly consider signing Eric Reid. He's probably the best defensive player who's still available, and this "defense" desperately needs a jolt - or 6 - of talent.

Last month, almost everyone thought we had too many safeties.

For some reason they like to draft team captains that cant run a sub 5 second 40
Well, I think they like to have big, tough, run stopping LBs in this system, as opposed to the more athletic, coverage types that people want. That’s just Belichick’s preference.

I think this magnifies the loss of a guy like Chung, even more. He was basically our version of the athletic LB, and even he is often a step behind. Hopefully, his injury is not a long term issue, moving forward. In the meantime, I would’ve liked to have seen the LB issue addressed earlier in the draft, but that didn’t happen.

Important to note that our highest paid non-Brady/Gronk players are Gilmore, DMac, Hightower and later, Shaq. Gilmore is worth it. Both DMac and Hightower used to be elite players but now DMac looks older every year and Hightower looks like his body is toast.

This season basically rides on how well these two performs, because I have no doubt with a healthy Edelman and Gordon our offense won't be an issue. Both DMac and Hightower are basically leaders and paid like they are our best players, they have to perform or our defense won't get anywhere.

Too early to say

I’d put him on the market. See if any offers come in.
I'd make his life miserable until he decides to play up to his contract. He got paid the big bucks. If his injury causes him to be unable to honor his commitments, I get that. But if he feels bored or apathetic, I don't have a problem waking him up at 4am everyday and making him run laps. Make him play hard, get him to a good level again, and then -- finally -- deal him.

There can be no room for mental laziness on this team.

Well, I think they like to have big, tough, run stopping LBs in this system, as opposed to the more athletic, coverage types that people want. That’s just Belichick’s preference.

I think this magnifies the loss of a guy like Chung, even more. He was basically our version of the athletic LB, and even he is often a step behind. Hopefully, his injury is not a long term issue, moving forward. In the meantime, I would’ve liked to have seen the LB issue addressed earlier in the draft, but that didn’t happen.
That’s a good philosophy if it’s 2001.

That’s a good philosophy if it’s 2001.
I mean, Van Noy is basically our “athletic” LB, right? That should tell us something, right there. I don’t know that I’d go as far to suggest that it’s a total failure since they’ve been to 3/4 past SBs, but it sure as hell fails when your LBs can’t stop the run, and I think that’s what we’re seeing a bit of, lately.

You’d get no argument from me in terms of drafting a more athletic LB, that’s for sure.

I mean, Van Noy is basically our “athletic” LB, right? That should tell us something, right there. I don’t know that I’d go as far to suggest that it’s a total failure since they’ve been to 3/4 past SBs, but it sure as hell fails when your LBs can’t stop the run, and I think that’s what we’re seeing a bit of, lately.

You’d get no argument from me in terms of drafting a more athletic LB, that’s for sure.

Bingo. While the lack of athleticism of LBs produces some mismatches it is something that most teams have to deal with as really consistent coverage LBs are a rare commodity. I mean how often have you heard "they got White on a LB" or "Gronk on a LB" when our offense was rolling the in the last few years.

To me the main issue with this team remains the DL. They are consistently losing their battles all across the board and get manhandled. Especially the interior. Shelton looked like he might be able to stabilize it in W1 against a putrid Texans OL but since then has not really given us many positives (if any at all).

I hear you. I wasn’t trying to come down on you. Just a general observation that the defensive philosophy and the way Bill has built his personnel at the position is a bit outdated in a wide open passing league with rules that favor the offense. You need the Van Noy and Hightower types but you also need at least one LB that can run.

If it wouldn’t mean putting Elolandon Roberts on the field, I would try moving Hightower down to DE. But since that would mean putting Roberts on the field, I’m not sure you can even do that without the run defense getting even worse.

If it wouldn’t mean putting Elolandon Roberts on the field, I would try moving Hightower down to DE. But since that would mean putting Roberts on the field, I’m not sure you can even do that without the run defense getting even worse.

This.

For some reason they like to draft team captains that cant run a sub 5 second 40
They are coachable. They want guys that are coachable instead of pure athletes who might not stay on script.

I usually don't give up on players, but he's done. We have 3 playmakers on D. We should have 3 at least. HT, DMC and Gilmore. We have a #1CB and that's it.

Cut both (10 M) dead money and move on. At least we only have 2 FA next year (Flowers and Brown). They have 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 picks and maybe over 20M to spend. They can bring 1 Playmaker, and solve D problem.

I hope Hightower is slow to recover from his injury rather than thinking he is less interested in the game. A couple of weeks will tell. I just don't see us filling that position now.

I have some leaves that need raking but I’m gonna hire someone with more speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back