PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dont’a Hightower Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do, unfortunately, think Hightower may be done. D. McCourty, too. It's perfectly possible both of them round into form but they haven't given us any reason to be optimistic. If they are in fact done for, that's a mighty big blow to this defense to have two of their better players and leaders fall off a cliff in the same season.

I think a trade for a competent LB and/or S is borderline essential at this point. I'm more optimistic about the DL because I think Shelton and Brown are talented but under-performing, not to mention the possibility of promoting Valentine to the active roster; Flowers should be returning soon, too.

But, yeah, LB and S is worrisome. I want to see (a) trade(s) there. Tyrann Mathieu would've been a good signing this past offseason and he didn't command much money, iirc.

I’m nervous about the DL. Shelton was brought in to help the run d and so far it’s just as bad as last year. Even collinsworth was joking about it saying the lions were running through Pee wee football holes.

I think HT is done. He's been awful.

This offseason it is time to blow up the defense. Keep Gilmore and extend Flowers, the rest can take a hike. McCourty included. Get rid of two big contracts right there.

I think HT is done. He's been awful.

This offseason it is time to blow up the defense. Keep Gilmore and extend Flowers, the rest can take a hike. McCourty included. Get rid of two big contracts right there.

Keep jjones and keep the 2 youngsters Jackson and crossen.

Keep jjones and keep the 2 youngsters Jackson and crossen.
I'd keep Harmon because he is still younger. Chung and McCourty may both be over the hill.

KVN and Hightower need to go. I won't be sad to see Malcolm Brown gone soon too. As far as a first round pick goes he is a bust to me.

The talent on the defense is just appallingly bad.

I do, unfortunately, think Hightower may be done. D. McCourty, too. It's perfectly possible both of them round into form but they haven't given us any reason to be optimistic. If they are in fact done for, that's a mighty big blow to this defense to have two of their better players and leaders fall off a cliff in the same season.

I think a trade for a competent LB and/or S is borderline essential at this point. I'm more optimistic about the DL because I think Shelton and Brown are talented but under-performing, not to mention the possibility of promoting Valentine to the active roster; Flowers should be returning soon, too.

But, yeah, LB and S is worrisome. I want to see (a) trade(s) there. Tyrann Mathieu would've been a good signing this past offseason and he didn't command much money, iirc.

D Mac has been alright, if you think there is a Mac fuking up, it is likely Jason, even through he look exactly like D Mac. There were a couple of times I screamed at the screen at a Macourty too only to realize it is Jason that I am cursing to.

D Mac has been alright, if you think there is a Mac fuking up, it is likely Jason, even through he look exactly like D Mac. There were a couple of times I screamed at the screen at a Macourty too only to realize it is Jason that I am cursing to.

I screamed at 30 on a Tate screen that should’ve been stopped for 0 only to see him gain 5.

Hightower’s making big bucks as is D Mac. Neither of these guys are making plays, and that’s why this defense is a turd sandwich. Pass rush vanished after game one, and Shelton doesn’t seem to actually be helping this run defense.

The guys either permanently lost a step or still trying to get back into form. He’s not Hightower that strip sacked Matt Ryan. If our supposed playmakers like him and MCCourty don’t show up, then yeah, this defense isn’t good enough and we’re not going anywhere.

2014 started 2-2 and gave up 41, 33 and nearly lost to Oakland. I’m not being overly optimistic, but this defense has one more week to right the ship or it’s exactly what it appears to be right now: crap.

Unfortunately, I think there could be a lot of truth in this statement.
The draft was our chance to get some young talent on defense. Two first rounders and we didn't use them where we should have used them.

It sounds dramatic after just a few games but this is not a good situation defensively. If there is a trade to be made or multpile acquisitions to see if we can find some halfway decent players that's what needs to be done because the current group is extremely concerning.

While all of the above could be true, the other possibility is that HT is still mentally recovering from the injury last year.

IIRC he had a torn Pectoral muscle. That is a brutal injury to come back from. In order to repair it, I have to wait for the swelling to go down, but during that time that muscle is going away. Literature says that a muscle that damaged goes away at 3% a day. Once the muscle is fixed and the surgery heals you have to build it all the way back up, and it hurts the whole time.

Either HT is done or he is mentally/physically recovering from injury. I am hoping it improves and we can look back on this period as his recovery. Either way, I think we will find out soon.

Reactions: PP2
I'd keep Harmon because he is still younger. Chung and McCourty may both be over the hill.

KVN and Hightower need to go. I won't be sad to see Malcolm Brown gone soon too. As far as a first round pick goes he is a bust to me.

The talent on the defense is just appallingly bad.

Brown was getting pushed 5 yards into the secondary by a rookie on every running play, it was pretty pathetic.

I would very strongly consider signing Eric Reid. He's probably the best defensive player who's still available, and this "defense" desperately needs a jolt - or 6 - of talent.

He would automatically be our 3rd best defensive player behind Flowers and Gilmore and maybe even ahead of Gilmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back