PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People here are much higher on Gordon than I. Supreme talent does not make up for unreliability. He is too much of a risk. You can trust DA. He is going to show up on STs and turn a season around. Gordon has other priorities. Leave him to his activities. I'd take DA any day.

Who cares? Putting the best possible team on the field for the upcoming season is what really matters, not saving a few bucks here or there. The only way cutting Amendola makes any sense is if they have a replacement or possible replacement who will be better and there isn't anyone in free agency our available right now that meets that criteria. Additionally there needs to be a use of that money that improves them and once again I don't see anyone available for that 4 million that accomplishes that. As I said before it really seems like this forum is suffering from Harry Sinden Syndrome, where they would rather lose and save a million bucks than field the best possible team.
Either Hogan or Martin are potential replacements for DA.

Saving money an reallocating salary distro is what cap mgt is all about and how teams dont find themselves in cap jail - especially when you have a solid role player taking up a $6.8m cap slot.
You have been watching this team long enough to know that

Everyone, myself included, supported the way they handled VW, and I was as big a supporter of his as there was on this board. The "cut Amendola" talk is ******ed, it saves them next to nothing after replacing him and only makes them worse.

Amendola seems like a Patriots type of guy, but 13 touchdowns over 7 seasons (less than 2 per year) & his
Injury history makes him replaceable. If he wants to come back at short money, then take him as a roll player.

His achievements are minimal & asking him to take a pay cut is the smart move.

He is a proven player. Patriots were the #1 offense with him an big part, dropping 30+ on everyone before injuries to OL and Lewis and receivers hurt the team. If the OL didn't suck vs the Donkeys, Patriots would've beat them and won the SB.

Yeah like Dropson and Boyce. Both with great upside, look were all that upside took them. Cutting a proven player for a project to save 1M, you really are a genius

I never said DA wasn't proven.

Are you saying that the team should leave his salary alone at $$6.8m?

Where is this $1m coming from?

For a generally rational poster you have really become fixated on saving money, if the Patriots were to follow your thinking then both Amendola and Bennett would be playing elsewhere this season simply to save a few bucks.

My concern is finding a way to keep Malcolm, Collins and High. Shaving off $3m for a player that makes $6.8m that is the 5th option in the offense makes too much sense.

I question how others fail to see that.

Why do you think contracts should be revisited annually when it's to the teams' benefit, but not when it's to the players' benefit?

Why do you think contracts should be revisited annually when it's to the teams' benefit, but not when it's to the players' benefit?
Why wouldn't you?

Please don't tell me that you think am NFL contract means something?

How many players at the wide receiver position improve after 30?

That is a factor in projecting a player's future value.
If he doesn't improve, you've still got a player who can catch 60-75 balls, return punts, perform in the playoffs and doesn't wilt under pressure.

Why wouldn't you?

Because it's a ridiculous, lazy, and selfish position to take

Please don't tell me that you think am NFL contract means something?

If the contract is meaningless, where are your threads demanding that the Patriots give huge raises to Gronk, Brady, Collins, Hightower, Sheard and Butler this year?

His salary is 5M this coming season, which is not overpaid, considering guys like Sanu get 7m. And Sanu has done **** so far in the playoffs.

Brady has taken less money precisely so that the Patriots can keep his weapons. What do you think Brady will think if the Patriots cut Amendola and replace him with a guy who can't connect with Brady? Amendola is a proven weapon for Brady and the Patriots, regardless of what you think about his salary.

If he doesn't improve, you've still got a player who can catch 60-75 balls, return punts, perform in the playoffs and doesn't wilt under pressure.

So you pay $6.8m for a player for a security policy who is the 5th receiving option on the depth chart?

No. You don't.

Because it's a ridiculous, lazy, and selfish position to take

You are being righteous. I am being shrewd.

I take it to be your position that is appropriate to pay an employee what they were once worth even though they are not meeting expectations and market conditions have changed.

If the contract is meaningless, where are your threads demanding that the Patriots give huge raises to Gronk, Brady, Collins, Hightower, Sheard and Butler this year?

Don't confuse contract with market conditions, worth and value.

I don't recall saying Brady and Gronk deserved big pay raises. Collins, High Sheard and Butler should be paid by the team because they WILL get paid somewhere else.

His salary is 5M this coming season, which is not overpaid,

For the 5th to 6th option in the offense he is. You are paying $5m and using $6.8m in cap space for insurance. I don't agree with that.

considering guys like Sanu get 7m. And Sanu has done **** so far in the playoffs.

I agree. They are overpaid and irresponsible signings...but that was the market for THAT player.

Brady has taken less money precisely so that the Patriots can keep his weapons. What do you think Brady will think if the Patriots cut Amendola and replace him with a guy who can't connect with Brady?

Brady would keep his mouth shut and play and rejoice that they signed Hogan, Bennett and working on signing Malcolm, Hightower and Collins long term

Amendola is a proven weapon for Brady and the Patriots, regardless of what you think about his salary.

I agree.

For the 5th to 6th option in the offense he is. You are paying $5m and using $6.8m in cap space for insurance. I don't agree with that.

I agree. They are overpaid and irresponsible signings...but that was the market for THAT player.

Brady would keep his mouth shut and play and rejoice that they signed Hogan, Bennett and working on signing Malcolm, Hightower and Collins long term

Hogan and Bennett have proven absolutely nothing in this offense. I remember Scott Chandler and how pretty much everyone was excited about him. Return of the 2 TE offense, blablabla. How that turned out? Hogan and Bennett have done nothing so far in NE, let's wait to see how they connect with Brady before we crown them.

And if the Pats really really need $$, they can start looking at Cannon long before they look at Amendola. Cannon was crap against the Donkeys, a rookie T could not had done worse. 4M save right there.

The more weapons Brady has, the merrier. And Amendola is a proven weapon. I would rather keep him than get rid of him.

So you pay $6.8m for a player for a security policy who is the 5th receiving option on the depth chart?

No. You don't.

It's not $6.8M. It's $5M. The other $1.8M is sunk costs that are there whether Amendola stays, retires, gets cut, or gets named the US ambassador to Italy.

You are being righteous. I am being shrewd.

No, I'm being honest and you're being selfish. Calling it shrewd is just insulting your own intelligence.

You've been off about pretty much everything lately. I don't know what's gotten into you, but I hope you work through it. For now, we're done. Get back to me when you are yourself again.

Last edited:
Stop being a self righteous **** head. It wasnt a malicious comment. It was a fact.
Right. I'm sure Bill checks the skin color of WRs before making contract offers.

Hogan and Bennett have proven absolutely nothing in this offense.

Sure but they are paying him to be the 3rd/4th option. The are paying Bennett to be the 3rd/4th option.

I remember Scott Chandler and how pretty much everyone was excited about him. Return of the 2 TE offense, blablabla. How that turned out? Hogan and Bennett have done nothing so far in NE, let's wait to see how they connect with Brady before we crown them..

Bennett >>>>> Chandler and its not even close.

And if the Pats really really need $$, they can start looking at Cannon long before they look at Amendola. Cannon was crap against the Donkeys, a rookie T could not had done worse. 4M save right there.

I agree on Cannon. They need to move/restructure him as well.

The more weapons Brady has, the merrier. And Amendola is a proven weapon. I would rather keep him than get rid of him.

I agree that the team is better w/ Amendola. But is it worth $5m and $6.8m in cap space? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST