PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is andy reid a top 10 coach of all time?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
parcells had a short shelf life....he got the perfect storm in NY, with a great staff and the right mindeset of players.....beyond the Giants, he tended to wear thin with players in +/- 3 years.....he was great on the rebuilds because he was an excellent judge of talent......as a coach, he's overrated IMHO.....having BB as a DC all those years certainly made his legacy
Achievement is achievement. Everyone who coached an elite team had many variables work out that’s how it is, you can’t disparage his success because one of his strengths was engendering a strong staff and highly motivating his players.

I'm a Chiefs fan.

But I don't think BB is losing an 18 point lead to the Bengals at Gillette Stadium. Especially in January.
He we lost a 21-6 lead in an affcg in Indy.
It happens to everyone, this difference is belichick has a ton of success to overcome the times he fell short, and Reid doesn’t. They are not in the same discussion.

Achievement is achievement. Everyone who coached an elite team had many variables work out that’s how it is, you can’t disparage his success because one of his strengths was engendering a strong staff and highly motivating his players.

once he no longer had that strong staff, especially BB, his success did diminish.....but yes, he assembled that staff and held that team of misfits together

he never duplicated that success.......after the giants you really saw his window of effectiveness shorten.....he built the roster, but didn't get the buy in.....

once he no longer had that strong staff, especially BB, his success did diminish.....but yes, he assembled that staff and held that team of misfits together

he never duplicated that success.......after the giants you really saw his window of effectiveness shorten.....he built the roster, but didn't get the buy in.....
He took over a bunch of nightmares and turned them all around. Had didn’t stay long enough to get long term results. Where do you think he didn’t have buy in?

he wore his welcome out with the Jets quickly.....he wore out his welcome in NE......he struggled with owens and others in dallas (he was not able to adapt to the modern player at all)

to me parcells is a lot like ronald reagan.....some successes, some failures, really doesn't live up to the mythology......

I'm a Chiefs fan.

But I don't think BB is losing an 18 point lead to the Bengals at Gillette Stadium. Especially in January.
Digging up bad memories but look up 2006 AFC Championship. Pats blew an 18 point lead in January (21-3 IIRC at halftime) ...in Indy...

he wore his welcome out with the Jets quickly.....he wore out his welcome in NE......he struggled with owens and others in dallas (he was not able to adapt to the modern player at all)

to me parcells is a lot like ronald reagan.....some successes, some failures, really doesn't live up to the mythology......
He didn’t wear his welcome out, he walked away. Everyone who coached Terrell Owens struggled with him, he was a nut job.
Sounds like you have an axe to grind and are embellishing.

Last edited:
Is Reid better than Mike Tomlin? He's been to the Superbowl and won and has never had a losing season.

Digging up bad memories but look up 2006 AFC Championship. Pats blew an 18 point lead in January (21-3 IIRC at halftime) ...in Indy...
Yeah but those were unique circumstances.

A) Your on the road
B) Your facing Peyton Manning
C) Flu
D) You weren't the better team

Yesterday there were no excuses for Mahomes. His OL was good. Receivers got open.

He collapsed. At home.

Man this one hurts.

I think Reid gets too overrated and underrated at times.

I think he is a Hall of Fame coach. He will likely end up top 10 of all time.

But he's not in that Belichick/Halas/Lombardi tier.

Just like Rodgers is probably a top 10 QB of all time.

But he's not in the Manning/Montana tier. Obviously Brady is a tier above the rest.

Yeah but those were unique circumstances.

A) Your on the road
B) Your facing Peyton Manning
C) Flu
D) You weren't the better team

Yesterday there were no excuses for Mahomes. His OL was good. Receivers got open.

He collapsed. At home.

Man this one hurts.
Flu, tampered thermostat, cramping because of 80+ degree heat in halftime locker room, skeleton crew on defense in second half, Colts cheated.

If he had an uninspired 30 point loss in the wild card round would that have solidified him at number 2?
wicked comeback!! man your azz must be purple with bitter disappointment, it's taken such a brutal beating...

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
wicked comeback!! man your azz must be purple with bitter disappointment, it's taken such a brutal beating...
It's a football game dude. Chances of going to 3 straight super bowls are crazy small and I'm happy with our future. Sucks ro lose always but realistically you might be 30 years from sniffing one. Nobody knows.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: PP2
I think Reid gets too overrated and underrated at times.

I think he is a Hall of Fame coach. He will likely end up top 10 of all time.

But he's not in that Belichick/Halas/Lombardi tier.

Just like Rodgers is probably a top 10 QB of all time.

But he's not in the Manning/Montana tier. Obviously Brady is a tier above the rest.

I think you had it right with your other post. Mahomes choked badly in that game. Everything the Chiefs coaching staff did put them in position to win. The Chiefs had the playcalling, the clock management, the Xs and Os, homefield....even got that fourth quarter INT on Burrow to turn the momentum around.

You talk about how Belichick wouldn't have lost that game, but really, did Reid really lose that game? We know why Belichick, 2001-19, wouldn't have lost that game. It's obvious. He wouldn't have lost that game because Brady wouldn't have lost that game.

It's just weird how people project the coach onto the quarterback like this...and no forum does it more than PatsFans. Sometimes coaches do blow games. Sometimes coaches do win games. But much more often, they play a much smaller part of it than people project. They call plays and make adjustments, but the players are the ones who decide the outcome. This was a game where obviously, without any question, the coach had very little to do with the loss.

BB
Lombardi
Halas
Landry
Walsh
Gibbs
Parcells
Madden
Brown
Shula

Are all coaches I would put above him....that's 10. So he's close, and maybe people might quibble on a couple of these. I voted "no" but with another SB win, I'd put him above Shula.

BB
Lombardi
Halas
Landry
Walsh
Gibbs
Parcells
Madden
Brown
Shula

Are all coaches I would put above him....that's 10. So he's close, and maybe people might quibble on a couple of these. I voted "no" but with another SB win, I'd put him above Shula.

If he had an uninspired 30 point loss in the wild card round would that have solidified him at number 2?

He had a big hand in the team losing.

As usual he sucks at clock management. He couldn't come away with any points at the end of the first half, not even a FG. He let Bieniemy get away with calling a screen with mere seconds left which naturally ran out the clock. Turns out that was the difference in the game.

More importantly he failed to adjust when the Bengals doubled down on flooding the backfield in the second half and started rushing only three. That forced Mahomes to become mortal.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back