PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is andy reid a top 10 coach of all time?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
Put it this way, if the Chiefs fired Reid tomorrow, how many teams would be calling him?

Reid is a great coach, his teams are constant winners.

Tough to say he isn't a top ten coach. He has won with Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith, long before Mahomes. Plus he was smart enough to draft Mahomes when alot of other teams passed on him.

Put it this way, if the Chiefs fired Reid tomorrow, how many teams would be calling him?

Tough to say he isn't a top ten coach. He has won with Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith, long before Mahomes. Plus he was smart enough to draft Mahomes when alot of other teams passed on him.

coaching ranks are a little thin these days, lol

but who are you going to dump from the top 10 for him.....about the only real case that could be made is shula, but that's ONLY based on superbowls, not much else......it's just a hard sell, he's high up in that next tier, maybe even #11......there's no doubt he's one of the better coaches of the last 20 years

Is it true that he came from the mike holmgren tree or do they just both randomly look like a walrus

I'd love to see Belichick vs. Gibbs with two identical teams.

i'd round out that top 10 you just listed with shula

2nd set of 10 would include guys like reid, parcells, vermeil, stram, johnson.....maybe even dungy? levy? it starts to get iffy when you try and quantify guys like shottenheimer, levy, dungy, allen, cowher, bud grant - different eras, all have positives and negatives

but i think a top 10 in some order would include BB, lambeau, halas, landry, noll, gibbs, walsh, lombardi, brown and shula - reid isn't close to that group yet, and probably not ever imho.......those are all legendary coaches.......reid might move himself to the upper tier of that next 10, but i don't see him ever cracking that top 10

you could make the case that guys like halas, lambeau & brown are foundational type guys, and are really from that "OG" era.......then you have guys like noll, lombardi, gibbs, shula, walsh from that "2nd Gen OG" era.......but the thing is, you can easily throw Lombardi into the original OG era and he stands up......you can put BB into either of those "OG" eras and he stacks up.......I can't put andy reid in with either of those groups

maybe when you just look at just the free agency era he'd be top 10? but all-time i think i'd forever have him in that 2nd tier......which still ain't bad
This is probably the most accurate take out there. I think your 2nd set where Reid is. I'd go so far to say that if he wins the SB this year, he's likely separating himself form the Schottenheimers, Levys, Cowhers and Grants. I think he's got a long way to go to get a seat at the head table, however.

This is probably the most accurate take out there. I think your 2nd set where Reid is. I'd go so far to say that if he wins the SB this year, he's likely separating himself form the Schottenheimers, Levys, Cowhers and Grants. I think he's got a long way to go to get a seat at the head table, however.

i gotta give him credit.....it wasn't long ago he was known for faltering in crunch time, struggling with clock management.....that he could build a team, but when push came to shove, his teams couldn't finish......he's gotten past that it seems?

but that top tier is pure legend......say what you want about shula and not winning a lot of superbowls, but the guy racked up wins when the league was pretty hard nosed.....

i gotta give him credit.....it wasn't long ago he was known for faltering in crunch time, struggling with clock management.....that he could build a team, but when push came to shove, his teams couldn't finish......he's gotten past that it seems?

but that top tier is pure legend......say what you want about shula and not winning a lot of superbowls, but the guy racked up wins when the league was pretty hard nosed.....
I get the Shula hate here, he was pretty outspoken how much he hated this franchise. He loses points for not getting Dan Marino a ring, or even more AFCC's. He was consistently good, but not great, from 1970 to 1985.

I get the Shula hate here, he was pretty outspoken how much he hated this franchise. He loses points for not getting Dan Marino a ring, or even more AFCC's. He was consistently good, but not great, from 1970 to 1985.

some of that is on Dan - his playoff numbers are not good

my recollections of Marino were that he was as physically gifted in terms of arm and release and ability to make throws as anyone to ever play......but as a leader he was a pure front runner; great when things were going well, but was kind of an ass to teammates when the chips were down.....quick to throw shade, rather than take things on his shoulders

i couldnt stand shula, and his actions and attitude after he retired didn't help that out at all......but gotta respect his body of work

some of that is on Dan - his playoff numbers are not good

my recollections of Marino were that he was as physically gifted in terms of arm and release and ability to make throws as anyone to ever play......but as a leader he was a pure front runner; great when things were going well, but was kind of an ass to teammates when the chips were down.....quick to throw shade, rather than take things on his shoulders

i couldnt stand shula, and his actions and attitude after he retired didn't help that out at all......but gotta respect his body of work
That's accurate as well. I'd add that it was on Shula to temper Marino's BS and "coach him up" to get him over the hump.

Absolutely no way... anyone who thinks so is very ignorant of NFL history.

Maybe top five ACTIVE coaches.. but winning just one SB and being considered a "top 10 HC" is an insult to the great coaches in the history of the NFL, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, George Halas, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, and Paul Brown. There's then another handful that have won two, like Parcells and Shula, etc. that have to be considered.
Did you say maybe top 5 active and then call people ignorant?

Did you say maybe top 5 active and then call people ignorant?

What's your argument then? Where do you think he stands, as far as active coaches?

didn't Bill's Giant defense shut out Washington 17-0 in '86 NFC Championship?

the same Giants that were 8-4 vs the Gibbs Redskins while Bill was DC?
Two words - Lawrence Taylor.

The question was if they had the same team/roster.

Two words - Lawrence Taylor.

The question was if they had the same team/roster.

1980's roster or a 2010 style roster lol

bill & joe were pretty similar.....students of the game, able to tweak things that worked somewhere else to make it their own, joe more on the offensive side with bill more on the defensive......very much big time game adjuster, two of the bets all-time at in game adjustments, both had teams that tended to take games over in the 2nd half based on said adjustments.....both had players that absolutely loved playing for them

if your read matt millen talk about playing for gibbs, a lot of what he said is almost to a T what players that have played under Bill have said

it would be a pretty interesting match up, actually........

Just following up on some coaches who haven't been mentioned much…as top 10/ top 20 candidates.

Curly Lambeau - I have absolutely no idea how Lambeau gets missed, considering that everyone lists Halas, who was Lambeau's biggest rival in the 1920s - 1940s. Some of Lambeau's coaching was from when he was a player as well, but he became a coach-only in1930. With 12 games seasons, Lambeau went 226-132-22 (.624), winning championhips in 1929 (his only one as a player-coach), 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, and 1944. Six championships. Lambeau also was critical in revolutionizing the offense; as a player, he was among the league leaders in the forward pass; he then coached Red Dunn, Arnie Herber, and Cecil Isbel, while utilizing Don Hutson as the greatest offensive weapon ever. Very strong argument that Lambeau is one of thevery best of all-time.

Weeb Eubank - Back to back NFL Champion with Baltimore Colts (58, 59)…found some kid named Unitas who no one wanted and whose career was a bust. Went to Jets and won Super Bowl III. Three total championships with two teams, and the winner of arguably the two most important games in league history (Super Bowl III, 1958 NFL Championship). 130 wins (keep in mind, those seasons were 12-14 games.). There’s no way Jimmy Johnson belongs over this guy either.

Ray Flaherty - Flaherty coached the Redskins from 1936-42 and won two championships with Sammy Baugh as quarterback; before Baugh arrived, he had already coached them to a championship game loss. Flaherty served in World War II and missed three years of his peak career, likely sacrificing at least one championship. His final record was 80-37-5.

Buddy Parker - Parker is oddly not in the Hall of Fame but probably will be eventually, considering his credentials are better than numerous coaches who are in. Parker was the coach of the 1950s dynasty Lions, led by Bobby Layne and rivals to the Browns. 104-75-9 career record, back-to-back champion in 1952 and 1953. And it's worth noting if we're giving extra credit for building dynasties, the Lions also won in 1957, the year after he left.

I don't have time right now for the writeups, but here are other guys who are pobably top 20/25. Missing are missing something like an NFL Championship/ Super Bowl but nonetheless had success over a long period of time.

Bud Grant

Marv Levy

Hank Stram

Sid Gillman

Chuck Knox

Lou Saban
George Allen?

1980's roster or a 2010 style roster lol

bill & joe were pretty similar.....students of the game, able to tweak things that worked somewhere else to make it their own, joe more on the offensive side with bill more on the defensive......very much big time game adjuster, two of the bets all-time at in game adjustments, both had teams that tended to take games over in the 2nd half based on said adjustments.....both had players that absolutely loved playing for them

if your read matt millen talk about playing for gibbs, a lot of what he said is almost to a T what players that have played under Bill have said

it would be a pretty interesting match up, actually........
For sure. Must see TV.

Top 10 today, sure, but I think the reference was to top 10 ALLTIME which he clearly isn’t, but would likely be part of the next 10.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back