PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is andy reid a top 10 coach of all time?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
Frankly, Don Shula doesn't belong in the top 10.
The guy who won the most games, went to 5 SBs and won 2, should be replaced on that list by who? Not to mention he is no where near last on that list

The guy who won the most games, went to 5 SBs and won 2, should be replaced on that list by who? Not to mention he is no where near last on that list

I haven't really thought about who to replace him (not sure about Reid), but he's easily atop a short list of most overrated coaches. Two Super Bowls in the early 70s, and nothing with Dan Marino despite the AFC being a dumpster fire for most of the 80s?

I haven't really thought about who to replace him (not sure about Reid), but he's easily atop a short list of most overrated coaches. Two Super Bowls in the early 70s, and nothing with Dan Marino despite the AFC being a dumpster fire for most of the 80s?
Well he deserves to be rated over people who won less.
It’s top 10 not Flawless. Keeping him out for only winning 2 SBs would mean you gave 10 who won more.

I would include Andy Reid as one of the best coaches, in terms of both the modern game and historically. The guy built two championship caliber teams, winning with one of them. In addition, he's done this during free agency and the salary cap. He's the only other active coach besides BB with 200+ wins... There are only 8 guys in NFL history to reach 200 wins... and is currently threatening an AFC Championship hat trick. Only 3 losing seasons in a 23 year career.... the dudes teams consistently win... Can't really ask for more than that...

While I agree with the premise that some are trying hard to keep Reid out, I don’t share your opinion on Jimmy Johnson. He was a winner and leader of very strong personalities. He is responsible for the 3/4 (have to think he gets quite a bit of credit for that last Dallas SB as the winning culture was in motion) and overcame a super strong cast of opponents, including fantastic SF squads.

So, I’d say ‘not even close’ to the list is a bit much. As an owner, I’d want Johnson over Gibbs. Not a knock on Gibbs’ winning, but Jimmy would be my choice of the two.

80-61 career record. No, he doesn’t get credit for winning 3/4…if anything he gets discredited since Barry Switzer also won with that disgustingly stacked team. There’s probably no coach in the league who wouldn’t have have major success there. Only thing I’ll say favor of his legacy is Aikman wasn’t a truly great QB.

The guy did a good job. I like him. Smart guy, good leader…had success in college too. But a top 10 resume? No way. When I have time later I’ll list some more worthy guys…some of whom haven’t yet been mentioned.

top 20 yes, top 10... I'd need to think about it.

laugh laughing GIF

I think a sb win this year cements it but i think he's already close.

Absolutely no way... anyone who thinks so is very ignorant of NFL history.

Maybe top five ACTIVE coaches.. but winning just one SB and being considered a "top 10 HC" is an insult to the great coaches in the history of the NFL, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, George Halas, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, and Paul Brown. There's then another handful that have won two, like Parcells and Shula, etc. that have to be considered.

Maybe top five ACTIVE coaches.. but winning just one SB and being considered a "top 10 HC" is an insult to the great coaches in the history of the NFL, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, George Halas, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, and Paul Brown. There's then another handful that have won two, like Parcells and Shula, etc. that have to be considered.

i'd round out that top 10 you just listed with shula

2nd set of 10 would include guys like reid, parcells, vermeil, stram, johnson.....maybe even dungy? levy? it starts to get iffy when you try and quantify guys like shottenheimer, levy, dungy, allen, cowher, bud grant - different eras, all have positives and negatives

but i think a top 10 in some order would include BB, lambeau, halas, landry, noll, gibbs, walsh, lombardi, brown and shula - reid isn't close to that group yet, and probably not ever imho.......those are all legendary coaches.......reid might move himself to the upper tier of that next 10, but i don't see him ever cracking that top 10

you could make the case that guys like halas, lambeau & brown are foundational type guys, and are really from that "OG" era.......then you have guys like noll, lombardi, gibbs, shula, walsh from that "2nd Gen OG" era.......but the thing is, you can easily throw Lombardi into the original OG era and he stands up......you can put BB into either of those "OG" eras and he stacks up.......I can't put andy reid in with either of those groups

maybe when you just look at just the free agency era he'd be top 10? but all-time i think i'd forever have him in that 2nd tier......which still ain't bad

Do you think if he wins 1-2 more he could be top 10?

Do you think if he wins 1-2 more he could be top 10?

IMO, it's very difficult to break the top 10 because those coaches didn't just win multiple SB's, they were also innovators (i.e., Bill Walsh with the West Coast system), first-movers, and/or brought something new to the game/left a legacy, and in the case of Paul Brown, was the father of modern football.

It's amazing what having an elite QB for a few years does to a coach's Goat status. LOL. Reid deserves a ton of credit for what he did with McNabb and Smith. That alone puts him in the top 15 to me but if he goes on to win 3-4 SBs with Patrick then that moves him up considerably on the list.

Last edited:
Just following up on some coaches who haven't been mentioned much…as top 10/ top 20 candidates.

Curly Lambeau - I have absolutely no idea how Lambeau gets missed, considering that everyone lists Halas, who was Lambeau's biggest rival in the 1920s - 1940s. Some of Lambeau's coaching was from when he was a player as well, but he became a coach-only in1930. With 12 games seasons, Lambeau went 226-132-22 (.624), winning championhips in 1929 (his only one as a player-coach), 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, and 1944. Six championships. Lambeau also was critical in revolutionizing the offense; as a player, he was among the league leaders in the forward pass; he then coached Red Dunn, Arnie Herber, and Cecil Isbel, while utilizing Don Hutson as the greatest offensive weapon ever. Very strong argument that Lambeau is one of thevery best of all-time.

Weeb Eubank - Back to back NFL Champion with Baltimore Colts (58, 59)…found some kid named Unitas who no one wanted and whose career was a bust. Went to Jets and won Super Bowl III. Three total championships with two teams, and the winner of arguably the two most important games in league history (Super Bowl III, 1958 NFL Championship). 130 wins (keep in mind, those seasons were 12-14 games.). There’s no way Jimmy Johnson belongs over this guy either.

Ray Flaherty - Flaherty coached the Redskins from 1936-42 and won two championships with Sammy Baugh as quarterback; before Baugh arrived, he had already coached them to a championship game loss. Flaherty served in World War II and missed three years of his peak career, likely sacrificing at least one championship. His final record was 80-37-5.

Buddy Parker - Parker is oddly not in the Hall of Fame but probably will be eventually, considering his credentials are better than numerous coaches who are in. Parker was the coach of the 1950s dynasty Lions, led by Bobby Layne and rivals to the Browns. 104-75-9 career record, back-to-back champion in 1952 and 1953. And it's worth noting if we're giving extra credit for building dynasties, the Lions also won in 1957, the year after he left.

I don't have time right now for the writeups, but here are other guys who are pobably top 20/25. Missing are missing something like an NFL Championship/ Super Bowl but nonetheless had success over a long period of time.

Bud Grant

Marv Levy

Hank Stram

Sid Gillman

Chuck Knox

Lou Saban

Is he the only coach to make 4 CCG in a row twice?

Technically I guess you could could BB since he had 8 in a row :D

4 straight title games with two teams. 3 Super Bowl appearance going on 4. One title.

Yes, he’s in the conversation.

Without considering the full top 10 he can’t be above
Belichick
Lombardi
Brown
Landry
Hallas
Walsh
Gibbs
Noll
Shula
Johnson
so the best he could possibly be is 11 but there are a whole lot of guys with as many or more rings so I doubt it.
Are you putting him ahead of Tuna? Shanahan?
I voted "Yes," but this list gives me pause. Could he beat out Noll maybe? (I feel this disreputable impulse to toss Shula off the list, lol.)

I voted "Yes," but this list gives me pause. Could he beat out Noll maybe? (I feel this disreputable impulse to toss Shula off the list, lol.)
Noll won 4 SBs.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back