PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Pepper Johnson interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ll usually get the most non-******** reactions in the immediate wake of something like this when tempers are still flaring and they’re not thinking about hurting their future ability to maximize their value. I suggest you look there.
His comments came in late July. The ink was dry on his megadeal

Malcolm admitted he wasn't ready to play in the Super Bowl.

That supersedes the couldas, wouldas and shouldas

Lol spin machine at work. The guy said they gave up on him. We can spin it all we want but the guy was ready to go. Belichick said the guy was fully healthy so no issue there.

His comments came in late July. The ink was dry on his megadeal
You’re not understanding. Go back and look at what he said in the IMMEDIATE WAKE of the game. BEFORE the ink was dry. His comments were much different. So were Rowe’s before the team went into damage control.

Lol spin machine at work. The guy said they gave up on him. We can spin it all we want but the guy was ready to go. Belichick said the guy was fully healthy so no issue there.
There is nothing to spin when it comes from Malcolm's mouth.

You’re not understanding. Go back and look at what he said in the IMMEDIATE WAKE of the game. BEFORE the ink was dry. His comments were much different. So were Rowe’s before the team went into damage control.
Pre contract: Spin
Post contract: Not prepared.

There is nothing to spin when it comes from Malcolm's mouth.

There is when his original comments in the immediate wake of the game sang a much different tune. The difference is that he calmed down, collected his thoughts, and decided that it was in his best interest to take the high road. But I'll ask it again: if what he did was so bad as to tank the defense and the Super Bowl (as a result), why did good friend of Belichick Mike Vrabel not have any issue with bringing him aboard?

The guy’s a class act. You think he wants to embarrass bill? Obviously something happened here and it deosnt have to do with the guy being ready. That’s ludicrous.
I'm not saying he isn't a class act.

He admitted he wasn't ready for the Super Bowl. I have MORE respect for him saying that than offering the "I was ready. They should have played me. They gave up on me. statements.

Butler said in July he’s using the benching as motivation. Only bill knows why he benched him. It’s still one of the most boneheaded decisions by a great coach.

There is when his original comments in the immediate wake of the game sang a much different tune. The difference is that he calmed down, collected his thoughts, and decided that it was in his best interest to take the high road. But I'll ask it again: if what he did was so bad as to tank the defense and the Super Bowl (as a result), why did good friend of Belichick Mike Vrabel not have any issue with bringing him aboard?
I have no idea what decision-making went into signing Butler.

Malcolm said he wasn't prepared to play in the Super Bowl. Go ask Malcolm why he said that.

Butler said in July he’s using the benching as motivation. Only bill knows why he benched him. It’s still one of the most boneheaded decisions by a great coach.

READ

“I’ll just say,” Butler continued,” preparation is the best way to win. And you know, maybe, you know, they didn’t see 100 percent, mentally or physically, Malcolm Butler that they are used to seeing.”

I'm not saying the guy tanked or threw the game. He admitted to not being prepared for the Super Bowl and Bill knew it.

The guy’s a class act. You think he wants to embarrass bill? Obviously something happened here and it deosnt have to do with the guy being ready. That’s ludicrous.
How do you know he is a class act?

He admitted he wasnt ready to play. You act like that isn’t important.

Pre contract: Spin
Post contract: Not prepared.

Now THAT'S some spin. If you honestly think that a guy who was so passionate about the decision that he was crying on national television and openly stated, in two different ways, that the team gave up on him and that he could have helped immediately after the game REALLY just believed the entire time that he wasn't ready, then I think you're intentionally fooling yourself. If that's the case, we can go down this road again. But it's just going to be me twisting logical pretzels into your head. You're smarter than that. Apply your better judgment here and ask yourself if you REALLY believe that or if you're just talking yourself into believing that because you decided long ago that you were going to side with Bill on this one, no matter what.

I have no idea what decision-making went into signing Butler.

Malcolm said he wasn't prepared to play in the Super Bowl. Go ask Malcolm why he said that.

We can assume that it was a thorough vetting. The two (BB and Vrabel) are very close. Whatever Butler did could not have been that bad for Vrabel to still go through with signing him. Other teams that have good working relationships with the Pats (including the Lions, coached by MP who was actually THERE for all of this) were also rumored to be interested.

I know why he said it. He said it to not hurt himself in future negotiations and maybe with a little bit of simply taking the high road sprinkled in. What you should be asking yourself is why his tune changed so suddenly from where he was at in his post-game comments.

Now THAT'S some spin. If you honestly think that a guy who was so passionate about the decision that he was crying on national television and openly stated, in two different ways, that the team gave up on him and that he could have helped immediately after the game REALLY just believed the entire time that he wasn't ready, then I think you're intentionally fooling yourself. If that's the case, we can go down this road again. But it's just going to be me twisting logical pretzels into your head. You're smarter than that. Apply your better judgment here and ask yourself if you REALLY believe that or if you're just talking yourself into believing that because you decided long ago that you were going to side with Bill on this one, no matter what.

We can assume that it was a thorough vetting. The two (BB and Vrabel) are very close. Whatever Butler did could not have been that bad for Vrabel to still go through with signing him. Other teams that have good working relationships with the Pats (including the Lions, coached by MP who was actually THERE for all of this) were also rumored to be interested.

I know why he said it. He said it to not hurt himself in future negotiations and maybe with a little bit of simply taking the high road sprinkled in. What you should be asking yourself is why his tune changed so suddenly from where he was at in his post-game comments.
I'm going by the timelines of what was said, Kontra.

He said he wasn't prepared in late July which was after his deal was done.

Hypothetical: Maybe he was weakened from the flu and his reaction time was severely slowed down during practice. Bill and the coaching staff spotted it during the week and decided he wouldn't be competitive in coverage. Jon Robinson and Vrabes called Bill and asked what happened in the SB and that is what he told him. Honest answer for fmr colleagues he trusts who are about to drop $60m on Malcolm.

Thanks for sharing...

In 2002ish, I went to one of the last camps at Bryant College..and I was taking notes on some DL-men drills (no smart phone in those days) to post on our message board later that day. Pepper Johnson was eye balling me....and I just put away my notepad and pen...

Hypothetical: Maybe he was weakened from the flu and his reaction time was severely slowed down during practice. Bill and the coaching staff spotted it during the week and decided he wouldn't be competitive in coverage. Jon Robinson and Vrabes called Bill and asked what happened in the SB and that is what he told him. Honest answer for fmr colleagues he trusts who are about to drop $60m on Malcolm.

I rather see butler at 60 percent than all these guys that where playing in his spot. I don’t care if he gets burned. For every bad play he can make a big play at any moment. Again if you wanna go by that then knock yourself out. I am just glad it’s over and a new season has begun but it still doesn’t take away the bad memory of seeing this defense get shredded.

Right and that was after he went into damage control. He still has something to gain from taking the high road even after signing the deal. Nobody knows what the future holds. However, basic human psychology will tell you that people will often lose any inhibition that they otherwise might have had when they're angry/in the heat of the moment. Ever bury an opinion about someone or something they did and then proceeded to get into a heated argument with them and it came out? Perhaps your wife? Maybe another loved one? Same concept. The guy crying during the national anthem and said he could have helped and that the team gave up on him doesn't really believe that he wasn't ready to play.

This would be more plausible if there wasn't a history of guys that missed practice time during the week, either due to injury or illness, and then still went on to play that Sunday. For Christ's sake, the team has traded for or brought in veterans from outside the team mid-week and played them on Sunday. So you'll forgive me if I'm still not quick to buy that excuse. It is what it is - a mistake by BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back