PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Pepper Johnson interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB_Helmet

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414

Covers a lot of ground. His thoughts on SpyGate (defends the Pats using the 'everyone was doing it' excuse but doesn't mention anything about location), Belichick's dislike of playing teams with two good RBs, comparing Kraft vs Woody Johnson in terms of owner's impact on team morale, Malcolm Butler, LT's birthday party, etc.

Pepper on Butler (taking my chances with derailing the thread early; don't get hung up on it since there's a lot more about the Pats in that article):

I’m here to tell you, because a lot of people are like, ‘Aw, man, to lose the Super Bowl?’ Bill Belichick is not going to lose everything he stands for for that guy. If he can tell Randy Moss, Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon, and none of those guys break the rules, then why should [he] say, ‘This guy broke it, but it’s the Super Bowl’? You’re getting ready to open up a dam. The same way when you asked me about the press conference with the Jets, where I was between a rock and a hard place, I’m quite sure he felt the same way. Like, ‘We’re just going to have to figure out a way to win this without this dude, but the last thing I’m going to do is break everything that I’ve been doing for so long.’ I don’t know how many other veteran guys he has over there now, but when I was there, those guys wouldn’t have stood for it either. They would have all been okay with it too—like once again, Bruschi, and Vince, and Willie McGinest, those guys would have been chastising Butler themselves. Like, ‘how are you going to pick this week to mess it up?’

The only thing I will say before this thread turns into the expected cluster**** is that principles are not something you adhere to whenever it is opportune or convenient but always. All indications are that Butler failed to meet some expectations (whether disciplinary or in terms of focus) and got benched like anyone in any other game would have been.

The timing sucks but it is what it is. => 2018

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414

Covers a lot of ground. His thoughts on SpyGate (defends the Pats using the 'everyone was doing it' excuse but doesn't mention anything about location), Belichick's dislike of playing teams with two good RBs, comparing Kraft vs Woody Johnson in terms of owner's impact on team morale, Malcolm Butler, LT's birthday party, etc.

Pepper on Butler (taking my chances with derailing the thread early; don't get hung up on it since there's a lot more about the Pats in that article):
Yiu can’t derail a thread in the post you start it with :D

I'll be my bottom dollar Pep has inside info.

Malcolm wasn't ready to play and he admitted it. Nuff said!

Malcolm said they gave up on me. Guy’s better than watching jordan Richards play corner or Chung. I won’t get into a long discussion about butler but i feel anything short of an assault he should have played in that game.

Malcolm wasn't ready to play and he admitted it. Nuff said!

Neither were the guys that backed him up.

Pepper would whiff a bag of BB's most prized farts. That he stood up for such a bad decision does not surprise me. Next we'll hear from Matt Chatham.

Whatever. It's a new season. The decision was a dumb one and it cost the team a Super Bowl. I already completed dominated the Butler Mega Thread so I'll just go on and enjoy this season and hope that the coach doesn't put personal principles ahead of winning the big one this time around.

Read Malcolm's more recent quotes and get back to me.

That’s hog wash. It’s one of the biggest blunders in super bowl history. Could have put him anytime during the game. I rather see him than a safety trying to play the slot.

Neither were the guys that backed him up.

Pepper would whiff a bag of BB's most prized farts. That he stood up for such a bad decision does not surprise me. Next we'll hear from Matt Chatham.
Doesn't matter. We can leave it to what Malcolm said about himself.

Have to beat Philly with your best players on the field in what could have been Toms last chance. I can never live this loss down. Disgraceful.

OK so what Malcolm says out of his own mouth is hogwash?

You’re crazy if you think the guy wanted to sit on the sidelines looking on while the defense gets shredded. He wanted to play. I have no doubts we get a couple of stops with the guy on the field and if not who cares. At least we went with our horses at CB.

Can we discuss ANYTHING ELSE from this interview? It's interesting stuff.

Butler is ancient history, like it or not. Let's just move on.

It’s a closed chapter. Thank goodness the season’s here. Butler will always be welcomed back. Guy’s a class act.

Doesn't matter. We can leave it to what Malcolm said about himself.
After he said “they gave up on me” and his own personal PR machine went into full effect. Was this before or after he signed with good Belichick friend Mike Vrabel?

OK so what Malcolm says out of his own mouth is hogwash?
You’ll usually get the most non-******** reactions in the immediate wake of something like this when tempers are still flaring and they’re not thinking about hurting their future ability to maximize their value. I suggest you look there.

You’re crazy if you think the guy wanted to sit on the sidelines looking on while the defense gets shredded. He wanted to play. I have no doubts we get a couple of stops with the guy on the field and if not who cares. At least we went with our horses at CB.

Malcolm admitted he wasn't ready to play in the Super Bowl.

That supersedes the couldas, wouldas and shouldas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back