PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imperative the Patriots Fix the Tight End Position

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Now that the Patriots have solidified/clarified its QB situation, it is imperative (in addition to fixing run defense) that we get a good starting tight end before training camp. QBs need a good versatile TE who can be a security blanket for passing throws in the middle of the field, or to help in the running game. Very very few QBs can succeed without a good TE. Every great NFL offense has a good starting tight end. We know our QB had a strong TE to throw to during his best career years, let's maximize our QB's chances of success. I am not sure if Asiasi/Keene are any good, and I remember a similar pair of TEs (Dave Thomas, Garrett Mills) taken with the same coordinator that amounted to being busts/nothing.

"Analysis: The Patriots head into this offseason with an obvious need at tight end. If the Patriots do not acquire a veteran pass catcher, it would be a surprise.

They have some internal options but you really can’t head into the 2021 season relying on just Matt LaCosse, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene and Ryan Izzo. You especially can’t rely on that group after back-to-back seasons of dreadful tight end production."

Greg Olson with Cam put up three 1000 yard seasons and two 800 yard seasons. If we're going to maximize our QB we need a great TE this off-season (not Olson as he's done now but a good TE)

Cam doesn’t throw to TEs anymore. He had more pass attempts at the ground and to Dlinemen that to TEs Leave the TEs and WRs as is. Getting weapons for Cam is like giving a child a car.

Cam has always thrown to tight ends. As recently as 2018 when he was playing elite then hurt his shoulder. Why handicap our own QB by giving him nothing at tight end to throw to.

with cam as the qb there’s no point in investing big money for weapons. Cam was one of the worst qbs I’ve ever seen play.

There are several vet TE's available as UFA's. I can't imagine BB doesn't try to sign one.

with cam as the qb there’s no point in investing big money for weapons. Cam was one of the worst qbs I’ve ever seen play.

This reasoning makes no sense. It's like someone saying not only does Sony Michel suck but because of that let's not even bother creating a good offensive line. What ??

This reasoning makes no sense. It's like someone saying not only does Sony Michel suck but because of that let's not even bother creating a good offensive line. What ??
The dude can’t hit an open receiver. Third and longs were damn near an automatic punt last year. The guy blows as a qb, sign jags for receivers and solidify the defense that has plenty of gaping holes.

Now that the Patriots have solidified/clarified its QB situation, it is imperative (in addition to fixing run defense) that we get a good starting tight end before training camp. QBs need a good versatile TE who can be a security blanket for passing throws in the middle of the field, or to help in the running game. Very very few QBs can succeed without a good TE. Every great NFL offense has a good starting tight end. We know our QB had a strong TE to throw to during his best career years, let's maximize our QB's chances of success. I am not sure if Asiasi/Keene are any good, and I remember a similar pair of TEs (Dave Thomas, Garrett Mills) taken with the same coordinator that amounted to being busts/nothing.

"Analysis: The Patriots head into this offseason with an obvious need at tight end. If the Patriots do not acquire a veteran pass catcher, it would be a surprise.

They have some internal options but you really can’t head into the 2021 season relying on just Matt LaCosse, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene and Ryan Izzo. You especially can’t rely on that group after back-to-back seasons of dreadful tight end production."
Why? It’s like putting new tires on a car without an engine.
2021 is over for the patriots.
I think they should spend 60 mill and every draft pick on defense and try to lose 3-0.

The dude can’t hit an open receiver. Third and longs were damn near an automatic punt last year. The guy blows as a qb, sign jags for receivers and solidify the defense that has plenty of gaping holes.
3rd and longs were screen passes. Give ups. Literally letting newton run a real nfl pas play was considered more likely to hurt than help.

Jesse James was released by Detroit. Patricia loves the guy.

I think he'd fit here beautifully. No Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith, but I'd love to see them bring him in.

I expect they sign one of the better TE FAs

BB just drafted 2 TEs.

i expect that with a full off season and a training camp, both should improve next season.

before he was injured, I thought izzo contributed in the running game.

maybe bb gives them another chance.

I do have some hope for Asiasi. OK, we only saw 1 or 2 catches at the end of the season but I would not give up on him yet. However I do agree 100% , a proven experienced TE is required big time.

We definitely need better play from our players. We've had nothing the past few years. I'm hopeful for Asiasi & Keene. I'd add someone like Jordan if I can. Maybe Long or Bushman.

That said when looking at the TE position or TE production. You have to look at the offense and what they're trying to accomplish. Who they're using to run rhe offense through.

You basically have 6-7 that lucked out in the right system, with a QB that really matter. Like Kittle would be a monster anywhere but having Kyle helps tremendously. Same for Reid. Lots of targets, easy targets with yac ability. And they'll get creative and give them screen passes, have them out the back field for free releases ...

I could see Cam & the TE's having a connection. Can't go anywhere but up .:oops:

Can't go anywhere but up .
For all the deserved criticism of so many players and coaches, this point of yours, while not quite 100% accurate, is really important. There were so many down areas that just a slight rebound in some where it should be expected (i.e. Hightower returning should improve the LB play) should really help the team overall.

Whether "should" becomes "did", and whether any such improvements will matter for the big picture (wins, playoffs, etc...) is something that only time will tell us. But we should all be hoping for improvement from within as well as from the outside.

No it’s logical. It means bolster other areas like DL, OL, LBs etc. We’ll get TE/WR next year when we get a better QB. This year is toast anyway. Another “rebuild” year

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back