PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine if Felger was the GM....

Always thought Cossell was an entertainer who was supported by a great cast early on with Meredith and Gifford, he made a lot of noise but usually it was about nothing.. terms like "All World Russ Francis" & lots of useless banter but entertaining nonetheless. Remember the night John Lennon was shot and his sadness when he announced it, not sure if it was acting or not but one of those things indelibly etched in the recesses of my mind.
Never seemed he was that controversial or tried to spike conspiracy theories.. his forte was boxing.

Why would anyone actually listen to that schmuck and his loser buddies
So being a GM never crossed my mind and never will

Felger's schtick is mind numbing at times, and if folks don't realize it is all an act to stir schitt up and to generate ratings - happy, content sports fans don't call in and listen. People should realize it is not these guys' job to be a fan; their job is to get listeners. Mazz has gotten worse lately. If anyone has listened recently, it really seems that Mazz and the abject loser Jim Murray are openly rooting for the Pats to finish in last place this season in the division.
I don't think they're thinking this through. If the Pats finish in last (a real possibility), miss the playoffs again, schittcan the duplicitous pond scum coach (thanks Kevin Mannix), then the Patriots will sail off to irrelevancy just like the pre Bill Parcells post Flutie years. When the Pats are fluttering around 4 - 6 wins, struggling to fill the stadium, after they get rid of Belichick in a year or two with a new rookie quarterback or some Tannehill or Mariota retread, Felger will rue wishing for the team to suck and blow....because his listeners will be be changing the station.

I think Felger did the contrarian act pretty well when he first started on 98.5, but he has gotten lazy over time and seems to be going through the motions. When even he knows that he is stretching the limits of credibility of his arguments, he has to give disclaimers that he needs to take stances to generate discussion on the radio.

But the negativity on the radio is getting out of control. I agree that Mazz and Murray are insufferable. Adam Jones and Christian Arcand over on WEEI are just unlistenable. Boston sports radio has gone way overboard with the fellowship of the miserable. Somehow Felger and Mazz can generate boffo ratings, but at least Jones and Mego are tanking in the ratings even compared to Meloni, Mego, and Fauria that didn't have great ratings itself.

I have made the switch to podcasts too and haven’t looked back. Say what you want about Felger and Mazz, and I agree with most of it, but at least they exclusively talk sports. Call me crazy, but when I turn on a sports talk radio station I want to listen to sports talk radio. The morning shows on both stations are unlistenable to me.

Always thought Cossell was an entertainer who was supported by a great cast early on with Meredith and Gifford, he made a lot of noise but usually it was about nothing.. terms like "All World Russ Francis" & lots of useless banter but entertaining nonetheless. Remember the night John Lennon was shot and his sadness when he announced it, not sure if it was acting or not but one of those things indelibly etched in the recesses of my mind.
Never seemed he was that controversial or tried to spike conspiracy theories.. his forte was boxing.

Also unforgettable was the "Cosell Sucks" game. The network wants us to forget it, but during a game, the camera panned the stands and just then, a huge banner unrolled that said "Cosell Sucks". Interestingly enough the camera paused on that banner, probably as the camera man laughed his arse off. Cosell was so much fun to hate; I enjoy Felger for the same reason.

Gresh and Fauria are the best football talk on the air locally, so if I want serious football stuff I turn to them. During commercials I night switch to Felger for a laugh.

Last edited:
He doesn’t pretend to be a genius and will admit when he’s wrong. He doesn’t pretend he’d be a good GM, he’ll just call out dumb moves and sometimes he is correct, a lot more recently given how much Belichick has fumbled the ball in recent seasons.

People around here get their panties wedged up over a guy whose job is being a radio entertainer. F&M is the best sports radio show in the region because they actually focus on the local teams and there is much less fluff and stupid banter that you hear in the other shows. Say what you will but Felger is actually invested in the happenings of the teams.

Last edited:
He doesn’t pretend to be a genius and will admit when he’s wrong. He doesn’t pretend he’d be a good GM, he’ll just call out dumb moves and sometimes he is correct, a lot more recently given how much Belichick has fumbled the ball in recent seasons.

People around here get their panties wedged up over a guy whose job is being a radio entertainer. F&M is the best sports radio show in the region because they actually focus on the local teams and there is much less fluff and stupid banter that you hear in the other shows. Say what you will but Felger is actually invested in the happenings of the teams.
This is the most accurate post in this thread, by a wide margin.

He doesn’t really pretend to ever be a GM, he will just call out the lies presented by the team when it comes to the money. Of course, he values certain position more than others…who doesn’t?

Felger seems to get a lot of attention on this forum. Why? He's basically a radio actor. That show of his is heavily scripted and calculated. Based on his enormous success and popularity, he apparently is very good at it. But sports talk radio is the WWE of broadcast media.

I don't mind Gresh either, he's not a negative contrarian like Felger and Adams, that's the only sports talk show I listen too now.
Don't forget man of the year Tony Mazz

Felger seems to get a lot of attention on this forum. Why? He's basically a radio actor. That show of his is heavily scripted and calculated. Based on his enormous success and popularity, he apparently is very good at it. But sports talk radio is the WWE of broadcast media.
I don't mind felger, he's alright. It's Mazz is the one that is wine bag and Jimmy Murray just echos mazz.. he's gutless. So your right!

a ton of Stockholm Syndrome on this page of the thread...some of you clowns would pimp Dylan Mulvaney if it took over the morning slot on 98.5...

I remember the day we traded a 2nd for Corey Dillon, Felger was a guest on WEEI & after it was announced, he was ranting about hating it because Dillon was a bad guy. Dillon was amazing in 2004 & Felger is nothing more than a contrarian clown.

I can never forgive Felger for driving Randy Moss out of town....maybe I am reaching here, but Felger hated Moss and ragged on him constantly. Did this contribute to his exit? Not sure, but it seemed that way. I suspect that the real fans did not feel that way. I thought Moss was great....oh how we could use such a player now, but it does not seem to be possible given BB's blind spot for drafting WRs and his seeming reluctance to get a FA.
He did the exact same thing when we got Antonio Brown. Now AB is nuts, but he could still play at the time.

He doesn’t really pretend to ever be a GM, he will just call out the lies presented by the team when it comes to the money. Of course, he values certain position more than others…who doesn’t?
Felger lives rent free in Patriots fan’s heads.

heh...look at the "tough guy" stubble...what a joke. I'll tell you this...I swing and miss I STILL put this felching dweeb in intensive care...

After listening to Felger's animated rants today on 98.5 The Sports Hub today, I kept trying to imagine what the Patriots would be like with Felger as the GM. :oops: I guess the first problem is that he would wipe out the Cap space for the next 5 years or so and trade away all the draft picks for the foreseeable future. All so he could get some marquee QB, actually he would get 3-4 marquee QBs (good competition in camp, right?), some prima-donna, big name WRs and to heck with the other positions. LT? Naw, overrated. Center? Naw, why bother, etc.

Of course, in a year or two, the Patriots would have record setting dead money, for the next decade or so and would finish last in the NFL, get the first pick of the draft year after year, but it would not help since Felger traded away his first picks for the next 10 years.
We'd be 0-17 within 3 years.

WEEI saw Felger and Mazz the contrarians being number one in the ratings for years, so they bring in their own contrarian, Adam Jones, doesn't seem like it's working to me but I don't check ratings, I also don't listen to either radio show, music for me when I'm in the car unless it's Midday.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back